Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Vision gimbal issue
1043 10 2015-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
crash1sttime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

SO last night i was trying to stop the vision camera from going to the straight down position and now ive buggered something

When I turn it on the camera goes down, but then it doesnt respond to the gimbal wheel on the remote.

ive done a full reset of the firmware and all the calibrations I can do including TX manual version as per Gerry but it doesnt work

If i change to basic remote and try the app that to doesnt work using the slider on the app.

Im going mad, i spent 2 hous last night playing with and the same today all with no luck

any ideas

Just an update, if i move the gimbal upwards with the quad on then touching the app slider down makes the gimbal move down in a twiitchy condition
2015-5-10
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

double check the plug to make sure it isnt partially seated, i had a similar symptom before my RP was installed similar to that and i had not noticed my white plug coming partially unplugged.  might not be your prob but worth checking.
2015-5-10
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Yeah I looked at that GN, doesnt matter now, ive just bought a 2d gimbal for it, the pitch works great so its defo the servo thats failed.
2015-5-12
Use props
Riff Raff
lvl.1

United States

crash1sttime Posted at 2015-5-12 21:45
Yeah I looked at that GN, doesnt matter now, ive just bought a 2d gimbal for it, the pitch works gre ...

Crash, I think I got blocked from the other thread where we were discussing the eBay gimbal installation, etc.  Because the wiring is a bit different on the version we purchased, I mentioned the retailers name on that thread so others would understand what I was talking about.  Suddenly POOF!!!  My posts don't show up.  

Apparently DJI's filters have that retailers name on "kill".  I sent an email asking for a mod to look at it and cut me some slack, but I'm still waiting.  

Just thought I'd explain the mystery about why I was blocked.
2015-6-25
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
United Kingdom

That explains that then mate, how is your gimbal working out for you
2015-6-26
Use props
Riff Raff
lvl.1

United States

crash1sttime Posted at 2015-6-27 05:23
That explains that then mate, how is your gimbal working out for you

Your advise has been very helpful.  Thank you.

I have the gimbal installed and configured with the values you suggested.  I also got my nerve up and clipped the flange on top of the camera so there is no interference moving the camera.

When I power up the Phanton 2 Vision the gimbal comes alive and stabilizes the camera when I move the Phantom around, simulating flight manuevers.  

I have not had opportunity to fly with the new gimbal yet.  Hopefully I can get out this weekend.

I do have a couple questions.  First, have you noticed a significant reduction in flight time compared to pre-gimbal flying?  Second, I haven't researched this yet, but do you know if there is a way that we can control this gimbal in flight?  Tilt up/down, pan right/left?

2015-6-26
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi

the flight time is down from 18 minutes give or take, to about 14 minutes this is due to the added weight and power draw for the motors.

You can use the app to tilt the camera up and down or buy the upgraded controller with the gimbal wheel,

there is no method I know of to control pan left/right, as this would need a 3rd axis on the gimbal, yours a 2D gimbal.
2015-6-27
Use props
Riff Raff
lvl.1

United States

crash1sttime Posted at 2015-6-27 21:59
Hi

the flight time is down from 18 minutes give or take, to about 14 minutes this is due to the add ...

You lost a few minutes of flight time, that's not bad.

Of course left/right pan is not possible with this gimbal, I don't know where my brain was at.

I lost the option to tilt the gimbal on my Vision app.  The bar to move the camera is there, but it doesn't highlight and come active.  I must have mucked something up on the configuration, dangit.  When I get a few minutes I'll attach the USB cable and verify.

Thanks a lot for sharing your expertise with this gimbal.  I finally found this website that gives some facts about the gimbal tuning app.  I was begging the retailer in Hong Kong for this info, and all they would do is resend the same crummy photocopy with the sme unreadable instrctions.

Tuning the simplebgc gimbal:  http://www.simplebgc.org
2015-6-27
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Yeah I mentioned simpleBGC in my video, well at least I mentioned it and the version you need, I didn't go indepth as im no expert on using the program.

you can download the software here https://www.basecamelectronics.com/downloads/8bit/

I found that once you activate the 7th channel on the rear of TX unit (basic version) by choosing "upgraded controller" in the phantom asst, then you do lose the ability to use the app to control the tilt function.

However I use Ultimate flight app by Kenargo, and this allows you to use both the app and the lever/gimbal wheel

You gotta post me a video when you can showing me how well it works, I do find that when you point the camera straight down and go up, the video does have a slight vibration in the bottom right or left of the video, otherwise I think its excellent
2015-6-28
Use props
Riff Raff
lvl.1

United States

crash1sttime Posted at 2015-6-28 20:32
Yeah I mentioned simpleBGC in my video, well at least I mentioned it and the version you need, I did ...

Good gracious, I finally got over my stumbling block with controlling the camera tilt with the new gimbal.  I was going crazy trying to figure out why the gimbal would power up and stabilize OK, but the camera would not respond to the tilt up/down commands from the Vision app.

Since the camera tilt is controlled through the cable that connects to the new yellow wire, I double checked to be sure that it was connected properly, and it was.  Then I separated and reseated the yellow wire connector and the Phantom 2 gimbal control cable, and Voila!  I can now tilt the  camera up and down using the Vision app.  I just needed to reseat the connection.

Since I had never seen it work, I thought that perhaps I misunderstood and that I would lose the option of tilting the camera.  That is why I kept asking you about the ability to tilt the camera, Crash.  Since you confirmed that the tilt still does function, that gave me the assurance that something was still wrong with my installation.  From there it was a matter verifying that I hadn't mucked up the configuration, and double checking the wiring/connections for the tilt function.

I didn't get out to fly yet because I wanted to resolve this tilt issue first.  I feel better now that the gimbal is installed and everything is working properly.  This gimbal is a pretty decent value if it works like they say it does.  Hopefully I will get a chance to fly the Phantom 2 with the new gimbal Monday afternoon and post some video.
2015-6-28
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Riff Raff Posted at 2015-6-29 15:34
Good gracious, I finally got over my stumbling block with controlling the camera tilt with the new ...

lol just asked in the other thread what issue you had with the pitch control, I should have read this one first, do me a favour, leave this thread as is and continue in the other one

thanks
2015-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules