Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Mavic Pro drifting to the left when going straight forward
3333 12 2018-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dorbsz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31047 ft
United States

Hi Everyone,

I'm a recent proud owner of a DJI Mavic Pro (got it 2 weeks ago), while taking it out for a spin I noticed it drifts to the left when I have the right stick straight up (going forward), the wind conditions were good and it was actually drifting against the wind, so obviously something wrong with it. Please watch the video for further explanation:

Is there a quick fix for this? Please help!

TIA,
Rodrigo
2018-4-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Rodrigo, does the issue appear in every flight? If yes, please try to refresh the firmware and do gimbal calibration to see whether it helps.
2018-4-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Refresh the FW using Assistant 2, calibrate the IMU on a flat surface and change the props. That should do it. Note that you will get minor drift in faster wind speeds, especially in open areas at higher altitudes but it shouldn't be this bad.
2018-4-30
Use props
dorbsz
lvl.1
United States

Thanks guys!
DJI Susan, yes.. every flight

The firmware is up to date, but how do I refresh FW using assistant 2? Is there a tutorial online? Also, should the compass be calibrated every time before I fly? I was doing that to my phantom 3 and it never did any drifting.

I'll try your suggestions and let you know.

Thanks again!
2018-4-30
Use props
dorbsz
lvl.1
United States

ok, so I calibrated IMU and compass and tried it again, still drifting like the footage. I then tried CW's suggestion on refreshing FW thru Assistant 2, recalibrated IMU, controller and compass and now it is much better than the footage however I can still tell it drifts like that in certain occasions which are not related to wind (drifting against the wind actually). I'll upload some footage to demonstrate soon. This only happens when the drone flies forward, when it flies backwards it never drifts. My DJI Phantom 3 standard never did that, so I'm suspecting there's something wrong with this unit.
2018-5-1
Use props
RodrigueElHajj
Captain
Flight distance : 17264 ft
France

dorbsz Posted at 2018-5-1 17:40
ok, so I calibrated IMU and compass and tried it again, still drifting like the footage. I then tried CW's suggestion on refreshing FW thru Assistant 2, recalibrated IMU, controller and compass and now it is much better than the footage however I can still tell it drifts like that in certain occasions which are not related to wind (drifting against the wind actually). I'll upload some footage to demonstrate soon. This only happens when the drone flies forward, when it flies backwards it never drifts. My DJI Phantom 3 standard never did that, so I'm suspecting there's something wrong with this unit.

I had the same issue couple of times before but sometimes it happens and others all works great, even the huge drigt when U stop the drone, but I think this is depending on where u're flying , if the ground patterns  aren't contrasty for the censors or if u're in ATTI instead of GPS of even if the SATs Locked aren't enough.
Before  U fly let the drone hover a bit  and Make sure u're In GPS mode, Sats are 12 and above and away from all interference areas and try again.
EDIT: When u Calibrate the IMU and compass make sure u don't do it on concret , I think grass is a good place for this away from metal objects
2018-5-2
Use props
dorbsz
lvl.1
United States

RodrigueElHajj Posted at 2018-5-2 00:14
I had the same issue couple of times before but sometimes it happens and others all works great, even the huge drigt when U stop the drone, but I think this is depending on where u're flying , if the ground patterns  aren't contrasty for the censors or if u're in ATTI instead of GPS of even if the SATs Locked aren't enough.
Before  U fly let the drone hover a bit  and Make sure u're In GPS mode, Sats are 12 and above and away from all interference areas and try again.
EDIT: When u Calibrate the IMU and compass make sure u don't do it on concret , I think grass is a good place for this away from metal objects

Thanks for your reply, my neighbor's mavic pro is perfect, it never does that, we did a side by side comparison and mine drifts while his goes on a straight line, definitely something wrong with my unit. I also calibrated compass and IMU on grass like you've suggested but it doesn't seem to have helped much, still drifts. Thanks again!
2018-5-19
Use props
dorbsz
lvl.1
United States

So I decided to make another video on the drifting. This is after upgrading the FW thru Assistant 2, calibrating IMU, compass, gimbal and controller, you can tell it still drifts to the right quite badly, the wind condition was great today and I'm flying on GPS mode. This is pretty frustrating, I strongly believe I've got a unit with defect, my neighbor also has a DJI Mavic Pro and we did a side by side comparison and his unit flies straight flawlessly. I'll need to contact DJI for a replacement.

Follows the video:

2018-5-19
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Before you return the aircraft do a stick calibration on the rc after a cold imu to the a.c. and see if the problem persists.
2018-5-20
Use props
dorbsz
lvl.1
United States

M2Wair Posted at 2018-5-20 00:40
Before you return the aircraft do a stick calibration on the rc after a cold imu to the a.c. and see if the problem persists.

Thanks for the reply, as I mentioned before I tried that and the problem still persists.
2018-5-20
Use props
Aniou
Flight distance : 242805 ft
Poland

Have you resolved the problem?
2018-6-28
Use props
dorbsz
lvl.1
United States

Aniou Posted at 2018-6-28 07:26
Have you resolved the problem?

I have not, the unit was defective, returned and got a replacement. The new unit never drifts, flies flawlessly so far under the same conditions.
2018-6-28
Use props
Aniou
Flight distance : 242805 ft
United Kingdom

I had the same problem, now I'm waiting for the new drone from DJI support ;)
2018-7-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules