Second aircraft malfunctioning
1231 16 2018-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Micro Pilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 491988 ft
United Kingdom

I love DI and products but im on my second P4P and it has started withe same issues as my first malfunctioning unit.

The aircraft constantly disconnects from GPS during flight and shows an error message for this as well as the rror 'IMU enounters heading exception'

Anyone else having issues?

2018-4-30
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

It is highly unusual that two aircraft might experience IMU errors in the same manner...
You need to consider your flying environment, as well as takeoff point and any other spot you have been running your drone.
It is possible that error has been introduced in to the system due to some electromagnetic or magnetic influence.  One possibility is operating from a takeoff location that has steel reinforced concrete or power cables running underground...
Are you getting warnings to perform a compass calibration or IMU calibration?
Are you taking off before the IMU initializes?
2018-4-30
Use props
Micro Pilot
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-4-30 08:59
It is highly unusual that two aircraft might experience IMU errors in the same manner...
You need to consider your flying environment, as well as takeoff point and any other spot you have been running your drone.
It is possible that error has been introduced in to the system due to some electromagnetic or magnetic influence.  One possibility is operating from a takeoff location that has steel reinforced concrete or power cables running underground...

I agreee. Definitley strange to have the same thing twice....

Usually always grass takeoff but have used concrete recntly twice. This was road concrete though so pretty sure there was no reinforced metal in there. All my filming is pretty much countryside stuff so removed from magnetic as can be.

I dont get any compass calibration messages and it shows as fine on the screen. It just kncocks off on the top ribbon where you have the flying mode. In and out of GPS all the time. I also never take off until everything is calibrated/initialised
2018-4-30
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Micro Pilot Posted at 2018-4-30 10:01
I agreee. Definitley strange to have the same thing twice....

Usually always grass takeoff but have used concrete recntly twice. This was road concrete though so pretty sure there was no reinforced metal in there. All my filming is pretty much countryside stuff so removed from magnetic as can be.

Well I don't know about the UK, but in the states here all road concreate has steel rebar in it and therefore not advisable to takeoff from.  Also roads tend to be the place where some cable conduits are buried near to take advantage of the right of way.
I'm not sure how to advise you...
Considering you are getting IMU errors I'd consider an IMU calibration, although I'd attempt a power up and takeoff in an area you are absolutely certain has no metal etc. on, under, or near it first to be sure.  Then if you are still get this problem do the recalibration, which may also necessitate a compass cal too.
Note: you should never have to do either of these calibrations unless the system is specifically telling you it is required.  In other words, do not perform them just because you think so.
2018-4-30
Use props
Micro Pilot
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-4-30 10:19
Well I don't know about the UK, but in the states here all road concreate has steel rebar in it and therefore not advisable to takeoff from.  Also roads tend to be the place where some cable conduits are buried near to take advantage of the right of way.
I'm not sure how to advise you...
Considering you are getting IMU errors I'd consider an IMU calibration, although I'd attempt a power up and takeoff in an area you are absolutely certain has no metal etc. on, under, or near it first to be sure.  Then if you are still get this problem do the recalibration, which may also necessitate a compass cal too.

Thanks for the advice.

I did a test flight today in a big natural area with no power or metal around. Grass tale off and same issues. The strange thing is I have pretty much constanst 16 satelites but no GPS bars lighting up. None...

I calibrated the IMU succesfully and refreshed all sofatware. Very odd....
2018-4-30
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Micro Pilot Posted at 2018-4-30 10:26
Thanks for the advice.

I did a test flight today in a big natural area with no power or metal around. Grass tale off and same issues. The strange thing is I have pretty much constanst 16 satelites but no GPS bars lighting up. None...

Did the recalibration fix the issue?

You may have a bad GPS receiver...if so you either have to replace it if you have the skills or send to DJI for repair.
2018-4-30
Use props
Skyclean123
lvl.2
Flight distance : 180781 ft

United Kingdom

Roads in uk have no re bar in...its tarmac...just my 2p worth guys!!
Hope you got it sorted
2018-4-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hello Micro, does the issue appear once you receive the drone? Could you tell us the last case number? I'd like to look into it.  
2018-5-2
Use props
Micro Pilot
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-5-2 00:35
Hello Micro, does the issue appear once you receive the drone? Could you tell us the last case number? I'd like to look into it.

Hi. Recalibrated everything and reinstalled the app on a couple of devices. The aircraft constantly receives and drops gps. Shows a lock of 12-16 satellites but no bars on gps show. I have submitted a case and received shipping labels to send for inspection.
2018-5-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Micro Pilot Posted at 2018-5-2 00:41
Hi. Recalibrated everything and reinstalled the app on a couple of devices. The aircraft constantly receives and drops gps. Shows a lock of 12-16 satellites but no bars on gps show. I have submitted a case and received shipping labels to send for inspection.

It sounds like a hardware error in the GPS receiver or a bad connection to the mainboard.
As it's not related to compass or IMU and recalibrating won't make any difference.
2018-5-2
Use props
Micro Pilot
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-2 01:08
It sounds like a hardware error in the GPS receiver or a bad connection to the mainboard.
As it's not related to compass or IMU and recalibrating won't make any difference.

Seems that way. On its way back for investigation now. Hopefully get it sorted.  
2018-5-2
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

This may sound like a silly question but here goes. You mentioned this is your second drone!
What happened with the first one?
Did you send it in for repairs and dji replaced it?
If this is the case then is it posible that you got your old drone back by mistake?
Hard to imagine 2 drones having exact same issue the odds against that happening would pretty high.
2018-5-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Micro Pilot Posted at 2018-5-2 00:41
Hi. Recalibrated everything and reinstalled the app on a couple of devices. The aircraft constantly receives and drops gps. Shows a lock of 12-16 satellites but no bars on gps show. I have submitted a case and received shipping labels to send for inspection.

All right. If you encounter any difficulties, feel free to contact us with your case number, we'll be here for help.
2018-5-7
Use props
Micro Pilot
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-5-7 23:50
All right. If you encounter any difficulties, feel free to contact us with your case number, we'll be here for help.

Okay thanks for replying. Its with the service centre last week so hopefully some news this week.
2018-5-8
Use props
Micro Pilot
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Update - DJI repair centre have found GPS and IMU failures and Flightcontroller defect. I assume flight controller is inbedded in the drone itself and not the remote controller? This is the second time I had the same issue wich seems rare. Do you think its a user issue that cuased this?
2018-5-9
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft

Micro Pilot Posted at 2018-5-9 05:39
Update - DJI repair centre have found GPS and IMU failures and Flightcontroller defect. I assume flight controller is inbedded in the drone itself and not the remote controller? This is the second time I had the same issue wich seems rare. Do you think its a user issue that cuased this?

No, I think you have just been unlucky.
2018-5-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Micro Pilot Posted at 2018-5-9 05:39

Sorry for the late response. Could you tell us your case number? I'd like to check the exact status.
2018-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules