Spark unexplainably crashes into wall. What happened?? [VIDEO]
1319 12 2018-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JELLMAN
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3753 ft
U.S. Virgin Islands

I took our new Spark on vacation in the carribean. I initially flew in beginner mode to get the hang of it, then I took it off and flew out over the ocean and back no problem, got some great videos. It seemed to handle the wind fine too.
On the last try I flew it out and back, this time, I got a warning about high velocity winds and to "Fly back ASAP". I flew it back and it was responding fine, It made it back to the house and I had it still at a hover ready to descend, suddenly instead of descending it just drifted towards the house and right at the end violently crashed into the wall. (it looked like it was picking up speed as it approached the wall). It's destroyed. It looked like it was about 10 feet up, surprised the beating it took from what seemed like a small fall.

Video of crash:

1) How do I figure out why this happened (Do I need to)?
2) Will DJI replace my drone free of charge?  Bought it on a Monday in NYC, got insurance on it, crashed it the next Monday in St. Thomas USVI.
3) What should my next step be?
4) Oh and, does the video help or hurt my cause?

Thanks

31520308_10214283062344755_7641505851974352896_n.jpg
2018-4-30
Use props
sSunsets
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311089 ft
United States

Hi, Still a very nice first flight video... I was thinking the gound sensors couldn't define a ground surface. And that the craft wasn't high enough for the good wifi signal. just my thought. OK... video helps yes... log file helps more... And submit a claim, your covered. You may find your get a better craft back in return. I did! Sorry for your loss.
2018-4-30
Use props
sSunsets
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311089 ft
United States

Ohh. Did you buy a Insurance plan from the NYC store... Or though DJI ? If not you may be out of luck. A DJI Admin. will respond soon... Sorry, for the loss.
2018-4-30
Use props
idbl_fanatic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 509741 ft
United States

Was that you sitting on the steps? If so, was it possible that you pushed the stick the wrong way, it looks like the spark was almost facing you, which the sticks would be reversed
2018-4-30
Use props
MarkMN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 77100 ft
United States

One can only guess without seeing the flight log, but between the rebar in that concrete, the metal stairs, between two buildings and near a hill I would bet you lost your compass heading and switched to atti mode. At that point you’re responsible for flying it and a breeze could have blown it into the building.
2018-4-30
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
United States

Educated guess (been there, done that ;-) :
You flew the bird towards you, front facing you.
But moved the sticks like you saw the bird.
Whenever I have a difficult landing, I fly the bird backwards home for  the last 50 meters.
Check your flightrecord, with stick movement in the view.
Hope you have care refresh
2018-4-30
Use props
JELLMAN
lvl.1
U.S. Virgin Islands

Hi thanks for the responses. For those saying I might have pushed the stick the wrong way.  At the angle I was at I could barely see the drone so I was solely navigating through the video feed on my phone. When I flew it back I was able to sway it left and right correctly, I got it right to the area I wanted it to land, and was simply pressing down when it just crashed into the wall, maybe due to wind..

I want to check the flight record, but coincidentally my phone somehow picked up moisture later that afternoon and simply won't charge, hoping it dries by tomorrow so I can charge it again and open up the app.
2018-4-30
Use props
JELLMAN
lvl.1
U.S. Virgin Islands

And I bought the drone through B&H, they sold me the insurance.
2018-4-30
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

JELLMAN Posted at 2018-4-30 19:26
And I bought the drone through B&H, they sold me the insurance.

Sorry for the accident. Any error message in the app? I would recommend you contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support Please provide them the flight records so they can locate the problem.
2018-4-30
Use props
JELLMAN
lvl.1
U.S. Virgin Islands

Hi I managed to get my phone to work and watched the replay of the flight record. I looked at the stick movement  and as I was saying, once I had it still I didn't move the right joystick (to sway left/right) at all, but the plane was still drifting. I tried to use the left stick to go down, a slight swivel right to face me as it started drifting towards the wall and then the crash.

Anyway how do I share the flight record? the only share option I see is social media. I synced to my account but don't see it online.
2018-5-1
Use props
JELLMAN
lvl.1
U.S. Virgin Islands

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-30 23:40
Sorry for the accident. Any error message in the app? I would recommend you contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support Please provide them the flight records so they can locate the problem.

There was only a message about high velocity winds after which I immediately flew back home, which worked fine. There was no error before the crash, once it hit the wall it said "motor obstructed". Figuring out how to share flight data to send support
2018-5-1
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Japan

this crash is becos of magnetic interference from the roof top.  This is not becos the the wind.. Also why you didn't use the prop guards.
2018-5-1
Use props
fanse5394b5d
lvl.4
Flight distance : 128471 ft
United Kingdom

JELLMAN Posted at 2018-4-30 19:25
Hi thanks for the responses. For those saying I might have pushed the stick the wrong way.  At the angle I was at I could barely see the drone so I was solely navigating through the video feed on my phone. When I flew it back I was able to sway it left and right correctly, I got it right to the area I wanted it to land, and was simply pressing down when it just crashed into the wall, maybe due to wind..

I want to check the flight record, but coincidentally my phone somehow picked up moisture later that afternoon and simply won't charge, hoping it dries by tomorrow so I can charge it again and open up the app.

It's best not to fly just on the video feed, not enough spatial information.
Always fly by direct line of sight
2018-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules