Controller Modification
1366 10 2018-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HG1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 173002 ft
United States

I'm looking to modify my controller for a longer transmission distance. Who would you guy's suggest?
2018-4-30
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

If you modify your controller in any way while it is within the warranty period, you will void your warranty. Modifying the controller only addresses one end of the problem, the other half is the radio gear in the aircraft itself.
2018-4-30
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have read some articles that say modifying the controller will be the same as buying the antenna shields. Also you risk damaging the controller and making it unusable. At least the range extenders are only about $12.
2018-4-30
Use props
HG1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 173002 ft
United States

Hurley1718 Posted at 2018-4-30 19:33
I have read some articles that say modifying the controller will be the same as buying the antenna shields. Also you risk damaging the controller and making it unusable. At least the range extenders are only about $12.

I'll just stick to the slide on ones.
2018-4-30
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Search youtube for ideas.

One option to consider is to buy a new/used controller, mod that.  Bind that.  Fly with that.  Keep the original as is for warranty's sake.  Good luck.
2018-4-30
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-4-30 23:33
Search youtube for ideas.

One option to consider is to buy a new/used controller, mod that.  Bind that.  Fly with that.  Keep the original as is for warranty's sake.  Good luck.

Good suggestion.
2018-4-30
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Don't over do it or be prepared to see your neighbors show up with torches and pitchforks when they figure out that every time you're out flying their wfif, bluetooth and baby monitors stop working.

The AeroScope system is advertised  as being able to pickup the transmissions from standard DJI drones at a distance of up to 30 kilometers so with the right mods of your RC you would have potential. Better also think of some battery mods to take advantage of the RC mods.
2018-4-30
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, please do not modify the remote controller, we are not able to assure the compatibility and the performance of the remote controller after the modification, which might cause a potential threat to the flight safety. And it will also void your warranty, please do not modify. Thanks!
2018-5-5
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-5-5 22:51
Hi, please do not modify the remote controller, we are not able to assure the compatibility and the performance of the remote controller after the modification, which might cause a potential threat to the flight safety. And it will also void your warranty, please do not modify. Thanks!

Hi Diana, sorry as i know that is not something within your control but when you state:
"we are not able to assure the compatibility and the performance of the remote controller after the modification,"
i have to say that even without any modifications you (DJI) are not able to assure anything anyway, just too many oops and apparently untested releases or a beta program without requiring reporting back with a proper planed test scheme before the official release.
"which might cause a potential threat to the flight safety."
Beside the 'might', i can fully agree on that part.

I only can talk for myself, but i have had the same thoughts of an amplifier not for a insane range but to ensure a strong signal, i just don't this it is right that i should spend a fortune doing this because you (DJI) somehow has managed to degrade the range to about 1/10th of the advertised range (CE 2.4GHz).
2018-5-6
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

You are looking for trouble. You are supposed to keep your drone within sight at all times and the supplied controller works fine while obeying that common sense regulation.
2018-5-6
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

The way I see it, the main complication with the P4A and above is that the controller has a stock antenna designed to work well with both 2.4 and 5.8 ghz since the system has the ability to switch freqs.  So if you replace that antenna with something else, it will probably mean you will be limited to one frequency, but that wouldn't be the end of the world.  Or if you do find a dual frequency antenna, it likely won't be directional.  If you're thinking of an amp, that's also frequency-specific, so that's another complication.  If I was going to do it, I'd probably use an ITELITE designed for 2.4 and then I'd stick to 2.4 ghz and abandon the idea of using 5.8 ghz completely.

Or I'd just get a P3P or a straight P4 and mod that, keeping the integrity of the P4A/P as it was intended - that is, the ability to switch freqs.

If it was under warranty, I'd do the mod on a used controller.  I would stick with vertical polarity.

https://phantompilots.com/thread ... age-51#post-1358992
2018-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules