My drone crashed in the ocean...
228909 228909 2018-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Red Rover
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29747 ft
United States

I am new to flying drones. I bought the insurance but I cannot retrieve the drone from where it went down. I do have the flight data but have no idea how to read it to see what happened. I assume it was pilot error. I was flying over sail boats racing in the water. Decided to come back in. I usually shoot photos rather than video. I decided to video its return. When I attempted to switch from camera to video, the drone suddenly lost connection. The flight data appears to show it just flew straight down into the water at 19 miles an hour. I am wondering if anyone can help me figure out what happened and if there is a way to get a claim honored if my drone is 230 feet out and 17 feet deep. I know I did not have my thumb on the left joy stick. When I look at the flight record, that is what it looks like happened.

I cannot figure out how to download my log to here... I did get it to load on the DJI flight log viewer but it looks like code when I try to open the file I downloaded.

Thanks for anyone's help!
2018-4-30
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Upload your TXT flight log file here. That'll convert that code into something that makes sense.
2018-4-30
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Export and upload your log here.  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Then the experts can help determine what happened.  
2018-4-30
Use props
Red Rover
lvl.2
United States

here is a link I thinkmhttp://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/TVCFQPL0O764PE5RA4TJ/
2018-4-30
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Weird it does not show any errors but starts descending at 11m 15.6s.  Were there any birds you saw around the MA possibly?
2018-4-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

way to get a claim honored if my drone is 230 feet out and 17 feet deep

Know any scuba divers?
If water is semi-clear (10-foot visibility) a diver has a chance of finding your drone.  But you need a good idea of where drone went down.  
Some divers enjoy a fun challenge.  Club used to go golf ball hunting in a un-clear lake for goofy prizes.
A snorkler could dive down 17-feet to recover drone, but he/she would need to know very closely where to start searching and water would need to be pretty clear.

If water is clear enough to see bottom, I would go drone fishing with grapple hook.
2018-4-30
Use props
Red Rover
lvl.2
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-30 20:07
way to get a claim honored if my drone is 230 feet out and 17 feet deep

Know any scuba divers?

I did put a post to our local photographer group... lots of people sail and scuba here... the water is pretty murky and there are strong currents and tides. I'm sure it has moved a long way from where it went down.
2018-4-30
Use props
Red Rover
lvl.2
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-30 20:07
Weird it does not show any errors but starts descending at 11m 15.6s.  Were there any birds you saw around the MA possibly?

I did not see any birds or anything that could interfere. Just open air.
2018-4-30
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Red Rover Posted at 2018-4-30 20:55
I did not see any birds or anything that could interfere. Just open air.

Sorry for the accident. Please contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support Please provide the flight record so they can help you find the reason why it lost connection.
2018-5-1
Use props
kfloke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149961 ft
Singapore

Sorry to hear your loss
2018-5-1
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

This is what sceres me everytime I want to start a video at 1 meter over the water to create a nice sensation of movement...

Sorry to hear about your drone. I'd definitively try to fish it, even if I have to dive for days...
2018-5-1
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

If you look at the Altitude and the home distance doesn't it look like it is coming down at an angle and not falling straight down.
There is a Class D warning zone could that have an affect on it.
I cant even take off in a class D zone.
2018-5-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Having looked at your log , I can tell it obviously ended early, everything with your aircraft looks fine,
For the last 15 seconds of recorded log it shows you 100% up on elevator (forward), and 100% down on throttle (down) you can see your aircraft loosing altitude rapidly as a direct result of you pulling down on throttle 100%, your log ends here so it might not be looking good for you.

Dji usually treats situations like this , as Aircraft was flying fine controller was 100% elevator (forward) and 100% down on throttle log ended, so we can’t say aircraft malfunction or we can’t say pilot error, we can offer you 30% discount of a new MavAir minus RC.

This may not happen but it is pretty normal for you to get this response. It would help if you were able to recover aircraft, but I suppose this may not be possible.
2018-5-1
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Red Rover,

Sorry for your loss of your MA.

What i see is that you were flying far out (over water), last part craft is decending to 58 feet (still far away at 800 feet). At the end flying lower and lower (throttle down) to zero height, finally lost connection. Pitch and Roll angles extreme at the end. Guess you are right,  its possible that you just have flown the MA into the water?

cheers JJB
zxSparkAnalysis1.png
zxSparkAnalysis2.png
2018-5-1
Use props
eried
Second Officer
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Norway

This is quite strange, using https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=145649 tool from @JJBspark

You can see that in the RC graph, the remote is saying to the drone to go low. Maybe there is a fault in the RC stick? (you can see how it respond with the altitude vs the UP/DOWN RC the whole time of the flight).

Or maybe it is an attempt of insurance fraud HAHAHAH

EDIT: @JJBspark just beat me posting his results first while I was looking for the Fry meme pic

2018-5-1
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Sorry about the loss of you Air. It is almost not advisable for guys new to drones to fly over water, best to fly over fields where you have VLOS and get in some good flight hours. Once have developed confidence in the drone itself and you know how it reacts to your stick commands you can try small distances over the water, took me a long time to decide to fly over water and my hand still shivers when going over the ocean.  
2018-5-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJBspark Posted at 2018-5-1 01:48
Hi Red Rover,

Although it doesn’t show aircraft hit the water it looks like that might be the case, I’m presuming controller an homepoint was above sea level so IMU altitude showing minus figure.
2018-5-1
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

LOL, i am really fast guy ; .when i ride my motorcycle....
Great to see that my tool is used and working. (some bugs for few users to be solved though)

btw, you missed that minus altitude check-mark to check-mark.
cheers
JJB

2018-5-1
Use props
Red Rover
lvl.2

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-5-1 00:15
Sorry for the accident. Please contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support Please provide the flight record so they can help you find the reason why it lost connection.

Thank you! I did file a claim but at that time did not know how to upload a flight record.
2018-5-1
Use props
Red Rover
lvl.2

I have contacted support but cannot find anywhere to provide a flight record. I cannot add it to my claim either.
2018-5-1
Use props
Red Rover
lvl.2
United States

Thank you! I already got confirmation they received my request for help.
2018-5-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Red Rover Posted at 2018-5-1 06:58
Thank you! I did file a claim but at that time did not know how to upload a flight record.

Hi, in your app where you playback your flight, top right hand corner small cloud you can just click on this and it will start to sync your flight.
2018-5-1
Use props
Red Rover
lvl.2
United States

Thank you to everyone who offered me help.  Somehow some way I know this will work out...
2018-5-1
Use props
Red Rover
lvl.2
United States

kfloke Posted at 2018-5-1 00:23
Sorry to hear your loss

Thank you! I feel like I lost a friend!
2018-5-1
Use props
Red Rover
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-1 08:46
Hi, in your app where you playback your flight, top right hand corner small cloud you can just click on this and it will start to sync your flight.

So when I sync my flights... where is it syncing?
2018-5-1
Use props
kfloke
Second Officer
Singapore

Red Rover Posted at 2018-5-1 19:25

I recommend you contact DJI Support and send them the flight data to evaluate. Hope you got replacement from them
2018-5-1
Use props
kfloke
Second Officer
Singapore

Red Rover Posted at 2018-5-1 19:25

By the way, you using iPhone or Android phone?
2018-5-1
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

JJBspark Posted at 2018-5-1 01:48
Hi Red Rover,

Odd that one would hold down at max throw all the way to the water.  Can you tell if the operator had the camera pointing down trying for a shot of the water whipping by?  Miss judged the height due to the wide angle lens?  Forgot about transmission lag between what is happening (ten feet high and decending) versus what is happening (drone touching the surface)?
2018-5-1
Use props
GLJones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41381 ft
United States

From the OPs description, I think he may have inadvertently pressed the throttle down while trying to switch from camera to video mode. It is not uncommon for new RC flyers to inadvertently move the sticks while trying to reach a switch or change settings on the remote.  
2018-5-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Red Rover Posted at 2018-5-1 19:26
So when I sync my flights... where is it syncing?

It will sync to dji cloud.
2018-5-2
Use props
Red Rover
lvl.2

kfloke Posted at 2018-5-1 20:08
By the way, you using iPhone or Android phone?

I was using an I-phone 6
2018-5-2
Use props
Red Rover
lvl.2

GLJones Posted at 2018-5-1 21:12
From the OPs description, I think he may have inadvertently pressed the throttle down while trying to switch from camera to video mode. It is not uncommon for new RC flyers to inadvertently move the sticks while trying to reach a switch or change settings on the remote.

I have no memory of pressing the left throttle down but I am a new flyer... I do intend to fly again once I get this resolved. Just hoping they will help me out with a replacement!
2018-5-2
Use props
Jeff7577
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

Your best outcome will be 30 percent off but that’s if they are feeling generous. It’s hard to argue against the log showing you land it in the water.
2018-5-2
Use props
Red Rover
lvl.2

Jeff7577 Posted at 2018-5-2 11:50
Your best outcome will be 30 percent off but that’s if they are feeling generous. It’s hard to argue against the log showing you land it in the water.

True but the insurance does cover stupidity!
2018-5-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Red Rover Posted at 2018-5-2 11:33
I have no memory of pressing the left throttle down but I am a new flyer... I do intend to fly again once I get this resolved. Just hoping they will help me out with a replacement!

I wouldn’t give up on a warranty just yet, we have all pushed or pulled in the wrong direction on sticks and yes no clue what we were doing, we just got lucky, it’s that simple.

I do think at worse the will give you an offer of 30% discount off MavAir without RC, the simple fact that you still have RC + Care refresh and whatever other accessories, it’s probably worth putting the whole disaster down to experience.

Good Luck...
2018-5-2
Use props
Red Rover
lvl.2

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-2 12:35
I wouldn’t give up on a warranty just yet, we have all pushed or pulled in the wrong direction on sticks and yes no clue what we were doing, we just got lucky, it’s that simple.

I do think at worse the will give you an offer of 30% discount off MavAir without RC, the simple fact that you still have RC + Care refresh and whatever other accessories, it’s probably worth putting the whole disaster down to experience.

I would be totally satisfied with that outcome. I loved my Mavic Air and would love to have another. Boy howdy I will always be aware of what I'm touching and watch the altitude a lot more carefully.
2018-5-2
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Is the downward sensor not working above water? It should stop laughing in water.
2018-5-2
Use props
Red Rover
lvl.2

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-5-1 20:18
Odd that one would hold down at max throw all the way to the water.  Can you tell if the operator had the camera pointing down trying for a shot of the water whipping by?  Miss judged the height due to the wide angle lens?  Forgot about transmission lag between what is happening (ten feet high and decending) versus what is happening (drone touching the surface)?

I did have the camera pointed down as I was shooting racing sail boats. I raised it and took a photo of the shore. Then I tried to change it from camera to video and that is when the whole thing went down.
My last shot.
2018-5-2
Use props
Red Rover
lvl.2

2018-5-2
Use props
Red Rover
lvl.2

Last photo from my drone before it dived...
2018-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules