Discussion Remove totally NFZ of Mavic Pro
45269 45269 2018-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Hi, forum people. It's now possible to remove DJI NFZ of the Mavic Pro.
I like to know what you do and think to remove totally NFZ of the Mavic Pro.Would you do this?
Why they do this:
[size=14.6667px]Just to be clear, this project was undertaken to get around DJIs INCORRECT NFZ [size=14.6667px]and Warning zones that they implemented without any legal obligation or requirement.

Single SelectVote, Total 68 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

22.06% (15)
66.18% (45)
11.76% (8)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-5-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

When you say it’s possible to remove can you explain how ?
2018-5-1
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

If I could remove it I would not, at least it lets me know where i can fly or not, dont want to get into trouble
2018-5-1
Use props
Datadogie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27028 ft
Netherlands

No don't remove. That would lead to more no fly zones. Why? Because idiots would abuse the freedom to fly where they should not giving good drones pilots a bad name.
2018-5-1
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

I am obliged to fly by the Danish rules and not DJI's crappy NFZ, It is far from Danish reality. Therefore, it is my simple duty to investigate if there are restrictions on the places designated by my government when I want to fly. DJI still can't figure out where all the airports and aerodromes are in Denmark !!!   

And as I have previously had problems with fly where my government allows it but DJI NFZ bans, must DJI's NFZ naturally removed it from my property.  

Another thing is that since DJI introduced their NFZ have their drones had trouble being 100% stable in the air because they use computing power to examine whether the drone is possibly entering the DJI's self-proclaimed NFZ zones. Of course, that's not a good thing either.   

Regards Leif.
2018-5-1
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Nope, DJI have NFZ app settings for a reason and I am happy to fly legally.
2018-5-1
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10326581 ft
Canada

nope, Saves a lot of problems
2018-5-1
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

I won't remove it.  Still on 4.1 0100 FW and 4.1.18 app.
2018-5-1
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

Landbo Posted at 2018-5-1 03:46
I am obliged to fly by the Danish rules and not DJI's crappy NFZ, It is far from Danish reality. Therefore, it is my simple duty to investigate if there are restrictions on the places designated by my government when I want to fly. DJI still can't figure out where all the airports and aerodromes are in Denmark !!!   

And as I have previously had problems with fly where my government allows it but DJI NFZ bans, must DJI's NFZ naturally removed it from my property.  

Have seen this also here in Iceland. Was flying few days ago and then got the message that my RTH path would enter NFZ. That airport was closed 2009 and is clearly marked with XXX all over the runway.
To me its better to miss one fly than fly once in real NFZ.
2018-5-1
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Just what the community needs.  
2018-5-1
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Denmark

G_Sig Posted at 2018-5-1 06:36
Have seen this also here in Iceland. Was flying few days ago and then got the message that my RTH path would enter NFZ. That airport was closed 2009 and is clearly marked with XXX all over the runway.
To me its better to miss one fly than fly once in real NFZ.

Of course, we must not fly where the local rules say we can not. If you compare DJI's NFZ crappy circle-card over Denmark and our Government map https://www.droneluftrum.dk/  you will see there are big differences between those two. Since I live in Denmark, I must naturally use my Government rules and not DJI's NFZ obstruction races. It is that simple.   

Regards Leif.
2018-5-1
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

Landbo Posted at 2018-5-1 07:09
Of course, we must not fly where the local rules say we can not. If you compare DJI's NFZ crappy circle-card over Denmark and our Government map https://www.droneluftrum.dk/  you will see there are big differences between those two. Since I live in Denmark, I must naturally use my Government rules and not DJI's NFZ obstruction races. It is that simple.   

Regards Leif.

The best outcome would bee Dji's NFZ which is right.
Until that happen I will use it as it is alto I don't always like it.
2018-5-1
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Denmark

G_Sig Posted at 2018-5-1 07:20

No, it is the worst scenario if  DJI NFZ should control the countries' aviation for drones. But as you hopefully now, it's the pilot's job to fly according to local rules, no matter if DJI like it or not !!!

Regards Leif.
2018-5-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dji’s NFZ have been improving since first introduced and many improvements made, if you live close to a real NFZ it would be extremely difficult to 100% be sure you kept outside and the risk to both airports and citizens of your own country will almost certainly be at higher risk, and to avoid this happening I think we would find those who don’t approve demanding much harder laws to insure drones are much more limited to where they fly.
We read here on a daily basis , I GOT WARNING NFZ MY DRONE WONT TAKE OFF, without this warning we would have certainly had a potential problem here.
I read once every 3 months where someone comes here and says he couldn’t fly because his drone was locked down in a wrong NFZ .
It doesn’t take a genius to work our what is the safest option here.

If your in a wrong NFZ report it to dji and soon this system will keep improving as we all ready see it on a daily basis.

2018-5-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dji’s NFZ have been improving since first introduced and many improvements made, if you live close to a real NFZ it would be extremely difficult to 100% be sure you kept outside and the risk to both airports and citizens of your own country will almost certainly be at higher risk, and to avoid this happening I think we would find those who don’t approve demanding much harder laws to insure drones are much more limited to where they fly.
We read here on a daily basis , I GOT WARNING NFZ MY DRONE WONT TAKE OFF, without this warning we would have certainly had a potential problem here.
I read once every 3 months where someone comes here and says he couldn’t fly because his drone was locked down in a wrong NFZ .
It doesn’t take a genius to work our what is the safest option here.

If your in a wrong NFZ report it to dji and soon this system will keep improving as we all ready see it on a daily basis.

2018-5-1
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Leave it as it is. Less headaches that way.
2018-5-1
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Netherlands

So many opinions to read, be aware that DJI is the only one who have build-in.
On other forums you  can you read, there is a lot wrong with the NFZ in different countries.
I have sent people a pm  who say / want to delete NFZ a link to read all about this.
Be smart when removing it, don't fly stupid things!
2018-5-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Instead of removing NFZ.  How about we get to root of problem?
Incorrect information in DJI's NFZ Database.

Leading to what is source of that incorrect information?
Input error - Human typing errors, Language translation issues, automated data entry errors interfacing to multiple country databases, country NFZ databases having errors

We know US's FAA database has outdated entries, guessing other countries have similar problem

Possible solution to DJI's NFZ database having incorrect info is a DJI User error reporting system.
Possible solution to US's FAA database being outdated is similar, a Drone Flyer error reporting system.
2018-5-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't tamper with it at all - I just steer well clear (several miles) of airports.
2018-5-2
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Datadogie Posted at 2018-5-1 03:24
No don't remove. That would lead to more no fly zones. Why? Because idiots would abuse the freedom to fly where they should not giving good drones pilots a bad name.

Lol, if you remove it and fly on a NFZ, why would that lead to more, when it was already a NFZ. Will they go like: oooh you bad boy, you flew in a NFZ, now we are going to make a new NFZ because we want too...
2018-5-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Jos A Posted at 2018-5-1 23:08
So many opinions to read, be aware that DJI is the only one who have build-in.
On other forums you  can you read, there is a lot wrong with the NFZ in diffrent countries.
I have sent people a pm  who say / want to delete NFZ a link to read all about this.

I think it’s fair to say the fact that they have 80% of the market, it was a no brainer for other companies to seize advantage because dji annoyed some customers.

I suppose if the whole thing with NFZ was to be dropped, it would then be left in the hands of politicians, those who will always run with the majority, who at this moment are totally sceptical to drones, we are likely to see many more NFZ regulations put together by those who know very little about flying drones and are only interested in appeasing the majority of people.

Be careful what you ask for, you might just get it.
2018-5-2
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Denmark

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-1 09:07

No 0.007, DJI's NFZ will never be better because the database is based on zones that do not exist in the real world, only circles. It is strange that you can mark an area of ​​about 50 km in their crappy NFZ without there ever has been restrictions. There are still many places here in Denmark where the same applies.

Moreover, it is almost impossible to get DJI to remove anything they have put on the list that does not exist. No DJI behave like Laurel and Hardy in a porcelain store.

But with the attitude you have, I would recommend you move to China, it will undoubtedly impress you.

You are absolutely right, we often see people who write here on the forum are trying to takeoff on a place they should not. Unfortunately, I see DJI as the worst sinner in the game as DJI in their writing material presented apparently refuses to tell people where to search information how the rules are in the different countries. Likewise, it should be written in large print all over the box of flying tools from DJI that people should comply with the rules given by their government. But DJI will not do that, as they obviously assume it will affect their sales in a negative direction !!!  It's good to have a good morale, but its not getting better having that dual morale that DJI apparently has in that question !!!   

Regards Leif.
2018-5-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Landbo Posted at 2018-5-2 03:20
No 0.007, DJI's NFZ will never be better because the database is based on zones that do not exist in the real world, only circles. It is strange that you can mark an area of ​​about 50 km as their crappy NFZ without there ever has been restrictions. There are still many places here in Denmark where the same applies.

Moreover, it is almost impossible to get DJI to remove anything they have put on the list that does not exist. No DJI behave like Laurel and Hardy in a porcelain store.

You know it’s strange you want dji to tell everyone about the rules in their country, you also think dji should tell people to fly by those rules, so you have no problems with them telling you what to do with your drone.
Fact is if you purchase a drone from dji first thing you will see when opening the box is warnings regarding flying in your country and to fly under the rules of that country, it is also mentioned in all the manuals.
We see it here from all moderators on a daily basis giving advice to fly within the rules, and I have certainly seen mods give links to various countries rules.

While I don’t dispute dji NFZ zones are not fully 100% correct, I can only speak for the area I live in, the NFZ which are NFZ are correct and I don’t see any problem with stopping people flying in genuine NFZ, there is a heavy fine in my country for entering these zones, and for all those who have been stopped through NFZ on their dji craft, I find that this is both good for them , the authorities and the general public’s safety.
Remember without this NFZ there are almost no protections in place to physically stop those who don’t know whether through ignorance or simple mistake that they may be risking damage to property or persons.

You say there is no way of getting wrong NFZ removed, this is not correct, you can report these , I have seen two in my area removed one corrected and many other changes in my country regarding changes in NFZ .
Yes maybe it beholds dji to be in discussion with aviation and and the necessary governments bodies, which incidentally I believe is happening, to get a much clearer database on each countries NFZ areas.

I have not seen one complaint from any aviation authority or government official regarding the NFZ dji have put in place. Yet we hear it been spouted here that it is illegal, which beggars belief that we see-no official complaint.
But if we see one drone flyer flying in NFZ because of hacked app then we will hear plenty from officialdom.
I believe the main reason for hacking the app will be seen by most as a right to fly in NFZ, and-no good will come from it.
I don’t believe NFZ are there to stop people flying , those that are wrong are wrong and we know that and they should be changed, but to sit back and do nothing and expect everyone to both fly within the rules and to fully comply is not conducive with human behavior , probably the reason we have so many prisons in the world.
The hack for the app is there and available for all to use, but it comes with much less warnings and leaves itself open to causing many more problems in the future.
2018-5-2
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Netherlands

but why DJI is saying: The GEO system is advisory only. Each user is responsible for checking official sources and determining what laws or regulations might apply to his or her flight. In some instances, DJI has selected widely-recommended general parameters (such as a 1.5 mile radius at airports) without making any determination of whether this guidance matches regulations that may apply specifically to you.

What about  an option switch on or switch off????

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2018-5-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Jos A Posted at 2018-5-2 06:34
but why DJI is saying: The GEO system is advisory only. Each user is responsible for checking official sources and determining what laws or regulations might apply to his or her flight. In some instances, DJI has selected widely-recommended general parameters (such as a 1.5 mile radius at airports) without making any determination of whether this guidance matches regulations that may apply specifically to you.

What about  an option switch on or switch off????

I believe the goal should be to have correct NFZ, how long it takes to have it working correctly for everyone is anybody’s guess, but in principle I think it should implemented, I do accept that where people are genuinely effected that another temporary option may be needed, how this is implemented I don’t know, but yes if it can it should be.

I also believe that hacked app, is not the answer, the mere fact that it is a hack gives the impression that it will somehow give users the option to fly in NFZ , so it is likely to cause real problems due to Mavericks doing what they perceive to be their right, it also opens the door for all sorts of unintentional flying in or close to NFZ . So we end up with situation that is potentially very detrimental to those who both earn their living and fly as hobbyists, because if something goes wrong then these users are the ones who will have to pay the piper.
2018-5-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-5-1 09:53
Leave it as it is. Less headaches that way.

Less headaches that way.  

Agree with that.
Setting aside issue of Removnig DJI's NFZ, which could draw the attention of Big Brothers around Globe.

There is issue of software modifications (aka hacking), having unattended side effects.  
Those who would choose to disable NFZ using firmware modifications will ended up with one-off systems.
The methods used to modify firmware will vary, resulting in multiple one-off systems to accomplish same thing.
When you throw in firmware updates, the overall DJI user community will end up with numerous different hacked drone OS, mixed in with Offical (un-hacked) versions.
Resulting in wasted time by DJI support and those trying to help others - chasing problems induced as unattended side effects of defeating NFZ.

Trying to determine why a OS crashed, when official source code matches is hard enough.  Doing so with unknown mods to source code is waste of time.
Multiple versions of same OS - To many hands in the Pot.
2018-5-2
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-2 10:16
Less headaches that way.  

Agree with that.

I cannot agree more. This makes sense
2018-5-2
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-2 10:16
Less headaches that way.  

Agree with that.

Totally agree.
2018-5-2
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

It would make sense to have updated zones. I wish the FAA would get rid of so many small airports that closed decades ago.Those still show on maps. Some were farmer fields. Odd to see as many circles on these apps when you never see a flight from those areas.
2018-5-2
Use props
ChaosKnign
lvl.4
Flight distance : 402877 ft
United States

I'd say DJI should just do it's due diligence and give the final option to the user, like the Max Altitude setting, it allows me to override it and check a box stating that it's not DJI's fault if I do anything stupid.

DJI is simply a private company in a communist country, a country, I might add, that does not respect ANY law whatsoever, domestic or foreign, and where there isn't even a word for privacy (for those of you Googling this, notice the word they use is a compound, which, Mandarin being a mono-syllabic, mono-idealistic language, means the idea and word doesn't exist, so it had to be created by putting two words together), and giving them the choice, duty, or obligation to regulate what I do and where I do it is ridiculous. It's not a tool makers' responsibility what you do with the tool.

If there were some governing body in your country that would set up a system with API's that DJI could hook into, therefor eliminating DJI's (or any other private company) responsibility or access to information, like... let's say, I don't know, the US' LAANC System, I would be down with that.

Being an American, I already have to take responsibility for the stupid choices that several governments make, I don't want to add stupid people's restrictions from private companies. Restricting everyone because of the lowest common denominator is a sad way to exist.

FREE THE NFZ!

P.S. For those of you living in communist countries, which seems to be most of Europe, and are not used to people having or expressing their opinions or the simple concept of freedom of choice (since bowing to power and monarchies seems to be hard-coded in their DNA) please learn to do so, learn to respect this, and don't attack me. Thank you. =)
P.S.S. Notice the previous statement is also an opinion.

2018-5-2
Use props
xfirf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 194911 ft

You can always request a temporary unlock (even several months) for almost every NFZ. Just contact them by the mail printed on https://www.dji.com/de/flysafe/self-unlock.

Provide them the given data and about 1 to 2 days later you are ready to go.

2018-5-2
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Denmark

Halmark007: You know it’s strange you want dji to tell everyone about the rules in their country, you also think dji should tell people to fly by those rules, so you have no problems with them telling you what to do with your drone.

No, I did not actually write that at all. I wrote that DJI as the first to raise flight safety should have created a page with links to the different countries' authorities that are relevant to flight safety as well as e-mail addresses to the same authorities.

Hallmark007: Fact is if you purchase a drone from dji first thing you will see when opening the box is warnings regarding flying in your country and to fly under the rules of that country, it is also mentioned in all the manuals.

A pity the note has not been included in the two drones I bought from DJI as well as the Mavic Air I helped an person to pack out three to four weeks ago !!!

Halmark007: We see it here from all moderators on a daily basis giving advice to fly within the rules, and I have certainly seen mods give links to various countries rules.

The first part of the statement is correct. But the other part I have never seen before. Maybe Mr. Halmark007 needs new glasses ?
Mr Halmark007 should also be able to figure out it's under 1% of DJI's customers coming to this forum.

Halmark007: While I don’t dispute dji NFZ zones are not fully 100% correct, I can only speak for the area I live in.

WAV, that's something of an admission/acknowledgment from Mr. Halmark007 !!! So we just lack that the gentleman also realize how the conditions are in the rest of Europe where we are a member of NATO and have a militarian, opposite to neutral Ireland. And Mr Halmark007 have the several occasions not held back from speaking out about what the rules are in the rest of the EU without knowing how. Great !!!

And in order to end Mr Halmark007 humiliation, I am in no way in favor of people flying illegally. I mean not to DJI's way is the right to do it because DJI in all ways have shown they can not manage that task. As mentioned before, there are airports in Denmark that are not marked and lots of milling playgrounds DJI must stay far away from trying to regulate with DJI's own ridiculous rules.

And I feel very great urge to Eliminate DJI's NFZ from both my DJI drones since the restrictions DJI sets for my flight does not in any way match my country flight rules.

The alternative could also be that DJI acknowledges that they do not control the task with NFZ and let us turn it off when we stand on the spot and are prevented from flying according to our own country's rules. That's how DJI's NFZ actually started before it broke our property (drones).

By the way, there is no legislation here in my country requiring I have DJI's NFZ on my  property (drone) !!!

Fly safe, regards Leif.

2018-5-2
Use props
Breezer74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20072 ft

United Kingdom

I'd rather be safe and lose a flight than risk being wrong and cause far worse.  If you know a NFZ is genuinely wrong, reporting the error and getting it removed officially from the database should be the best/only course of action.  Remember, a disused runway is still available for emergency landings.
2018-5-2
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Denmark

Jos A Posted at 2018-5-2 06:34
but why DJI is saying: The GEO system is advisory only. Each user is responsible for checking official sources and determining what laws or regulations might apply to his or her flight. In some instances, DJI has selected widely-recommended general parameters (such as a 1.5 mile radius at airports) without making any determination of whether this guidance matches regulations that may apply specifically to you.

What about  an option switch on or switch off????

You are absolutely right in your views about the airports. Here in Denmark the limit for how close you must fly on a military establishments airfield 8 km and a civilian 5 km.

It started with we could bypass DJI's useless NFZ. The option removed DJI so unfortunately fast so we are stuck with it now.

DJI will not have to listen to users' requests. They just advanced with their own ideas. We are missing one or two serious competitors for that company !!!

EDIT: It is not only in Mavic Pro that the problem mentioned exists but in all DJI's non-professional drones.

Fly safe, regards Leif.

2018-5-2
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Netherlands

I got sick of multiple  warnings in a warning zone or enhanced warning zone. I agree with ChaosKnign.
2018-5-3
Use props
ChaosKnign
lvl.4
Flight distance : 402877 ft
United States

If you lack the mental capacity to understand where to fly a drone, then by all means, fly where and how you’re not supposed to and get in trouble with your authorities, so they can take your drone away or fine you until it sours your willingness to keep paying for breaking the law.

That will leave the rest of us who do our research and fly within all rules, laws and regulations with nothing to worry about. The law of the jungle should prevail.
2018-5-3
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

As far as I know you can not remove NFZ's on MP running any FW past .0700
2018-5-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ChaosKnign Posted at 2018-5-2 21:55
I'd say DJI should just do it's due diligence and give the final option to the user, like the Max Altitude setting, it allows me to override it and check a box stating that it's not DJI's fault if I do anything stupid.

DJI is simply a private company in a communist country, a country, I might add, that does not respect ANY law whatsoever, domestic or foreign, and where there isn't even a word for privacy (for those of you Googling this, notice the word they use is a compound, which, Mandarin being a mono-syllabic, mono-idealistic language, means the idea and word doesn't exist, so it had to be created by putting two words together), and giving them the choice, duty, or obligation to regulate what I do and where I do it is ridiculous. It's not a tool makers' responsibility what you do with the tool.

“Being an American, I already have to take responsibility for the stupid choices that several governments make, I don't want to add stupid people's restrictions from private companies. Restricting everyone because of the lowest common denominator is a sad way to exist.”

Yeah like walking into a junior school and massacring innocent children. How can one take responsibility for something like this that happens regularly.

The problem with Americans who stick their head above the parapet to spout and preach to the rest of the world, they inordinately forget the damage they have caused first amongst their own people and then the rest of the world.

You live in your own bubble, but it’s time to let you know much of the big world outside has move onwards and upwards without you, Land of the Free my ar#e.

Highest prison population in the world, highest murder rate amongst its own people, a democracy where those who get the most votes come second. Yes the rest of the world really needs this.

BTW as a superior human, who doesn’t like NFZ , it beggars belief that you would be so stupid to actually buy one, to support so called communist China ,Maybe not so superior .

I apologise to all my American friends , but it is people like this poster who tries to denigrate other countries and their people, that gives Americans a bad name.
2018-5-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ChaosKnign Posted at 2018-5-3 01:51
If you lack the mental capacity to understand where to fly a drone, then by all means, fly where and how you’re not supposed to and get in trouble with your authorities, so they can take your drone away or fine you until it sours your willingness to keep paying for breaking the law.

That will leave the rest of us who do our research and fly within all rules, laws and regulations with nothing to worry about. The law of the jungle should prevail.

I’ll point out again to your research, maybe you should have done this research before buying your drone as it clearly had NFZ already built in, but you will be excused if your mental stability was out of whack during your tireless research.
2018-5-3
Use props
Bomberuk1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

i have removed the NFZ file from the mavic and also the firmware, just waiting on the modded go app version 4122 then will get no pop ups at all ;)
2018-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules