Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
A OOOH S___t Experience
1366 10 2018-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RMJovo
First Officer
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

86 ft out (26.2 m)  43ft AGL (13.1m)  I eased the Phantom towards the ground. From my perspective it was below the power line, then bring the Phantom forward at a midrange speed, to my surprise it caught the wire did a 360 flip around the wire then stopped in a hover a few feet below the wire....Unscathed!!! Much to my relief. Just another lesson in visual perspectives on my part. A lucky lesson in what looks OK may not be OK.
2018-5-1
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Yes they are sneaky those lines and impossible to see on the video feed even when it is known they would be right there, good to hear nothing was harmed.
I usually fly to one of the poles/masts and with the camera pointed straight forward go up until it pass a little by the top wire, then i know at what minimum altitude i can pass safely between the poles without trouble when going for the actual shot. almost same procedure for passing below the lines, then just have in mind that often they hang down in the middle specially on hot days.
2018-5-1
Use props
RMJovo
First Officer
United States

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-1 07:02
Yes they are sneaky those lines and impossible to see on the video feed even when it is known they would be right there, good to hear nothing was harmed.
I usually fly to one of the poles/masts and with the camera pointed straight forward go up until it pass a little by the top wire, then i know at what minimum altitude i can pass safely between the poles without trouble when going for the actual shot. almost same procedure for passing below the lines, then just have in mind that often they hang down in the middle specially on hot days.

Good advice, I will try this next time i’m In that area. Thanks much for this common sense idea I should have thought of Thanks again.
2018-5-1
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

You are also lucky the on board computer was able to apply inputs to attempt righting the bird...successfully in this case
Amazing machines they are!
Glad you only have a war story about this...Fly Safe!
2018-5-1
Use props
Hurley1718
Captain
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

My worst fear are those power lines. Glad everything is ok.
2018-5-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

What!?! No video of the supposed incedent? Haha

Unscathed but still heart pulsing quicker, from the thought of instant disaster...

Please be more care-full. ;-)
You do have a camera on board, use it to navigate, as well. Grin

RedHotPoker
2018-5-1
Use props
RMJovo
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-5-1 11:30
What!?! No video of the supposed incedent? Haha

It was instant terror as I could see the front two propellers stopping and starting as it flipped around the power wire. I thought it was just going to nose into the ground, luckily the propellers were not damaged and it just hovered in place below the wire.
2018-5-1
Use props
Oldav8tor
lvl.3
United States

Power lines have caught many an unwary pilot of both manned and unmanned aircraft.  You were soooo lucky!
2018-5-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

RMJovo Posted at 2018-5-1 13:13
It was instant terror as I could see the front two propellers stopping and starting as it flipped around the power wire. I thought it was just going to nose into the ground, luckily the propellers were not damaged and it just hovered in place below the wire.

I hope you never try this stunt again. It may not end the same. ;-)

Yes, these drones are quite resilient, but only to a degree. Fly carefully.

RedHotPoker
2018-5-1
Use props
Amateur Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6411 ft

United States

Keep in mind that end poles may also have guide-wires !  
Glad you came out unharmed!
2018-5-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Fortunately, the drone did surfer obvious damage. Fly safe!
2018-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules