NEW BATTERY MELTED INSIDE OF MY BIRD WHAT TO DO
12Next >
3266 63 2018-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
COPILOT VATER
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30046 ft

Gotten A New Batterty Off Ebay 90.00 Used It Three Time No Problem Flown it  Yesterday Put It On Back Of My CAR When Inside The House Left It On My Bird For About Ten Mins Came Out Side Cut The Bird Off Put IT Up Next Day Had A Hard Time Pulling Out The Battery Everthing Look Ok On The Inside  But THE Back Of The Battery Looks Like Gotten HOT The Black Plastic Melted Some Number Two PIN and number 4 Pin Charge Up The Battery Put It In EverThing Is Ok MY QUESTION IS DO I SEND TO DJI AND GET IT CHECK OUT MY BIRD TO SEE IF I HAVE DAMAGE TO THE BIRD AND THE WIREING .Like I Said Flyed It Yesterday Runs Good Not With The Bad Battery NOTE  STILL UNDER WARRANTY THX GUYS IMG_20180430_210616.jpg
IMG_20180430_210633.jpg
IMG_20180430_210616.jpg
2018-5-1
Use props
COPILOT VATER
lvl.3

BATTERYS

PICTURE OF THE BATTERY
IMG_20180430_210633.jpg
2018-5-1
Use props
COPILOT VATER
lvl.3

2018-5-1
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

If it was a genuine DJI, then yes.
2018-5-1
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft

That's not good , what are the terminals in the ac like ?
2018-5-1
Use props
COPILOT VATER
lvl.3

i fly it yesterday it flying great not a problem at all no smell looks fine its the female gets the worst of it on a case like that
2018-5-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The first pic doesn't load properly.
The second shot is very dark and unclear. Did you burn the terminals?

That battery is likely toast, even if it still works, Definately not drone trust worthy.
Use it with care and dare... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-5-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Two posts, same subject, with multiple example pics that don't load.

Seems you have more problems, than your fried drone battery.

RedHotPoker

2018-5-1
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

So let me be sure I understand the issue here...you went out and flew your drone with the battery, that you bought on eBay, and then left the battery in the drone after the flight until the next day, is that correct?
Two things, and I assume this is a batt for the P3 from the way it sounds...
1) How long was the flight for that battery or how long did you run the battery in the drone (motors running or not)?
2) You do know that these batteries build up and create a lot of heat when in use and it can take quite a while for them to cool down after use depending on the ambient temp etc.

Lastly, the manual says to not leave or store your battery in the drone, partly for this reason.
It sounds like you left the battery in there too long and the heat build up caused the problem, and regardless of how it worked or didn't work before.  All it takes is for the outside air to be a little warmer in the storage place you left the drone & batt and the battery being a little hotter, add in no airflow around the batt or drone due to it being inside and there you have it, you baked your battery.
If this is the case, then I'm not sure how DJI will deal with this one...
Good Luck
2018-5-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-5-1 12:06
So let me be sure I understand the issue here...you went out and flew your drone with the battery, that you bought on eBay, and then left the battery in the drone after the flight until the next day, is that correct?
1) How long was the flight for that battery or how long did you run the battery in the drone (motors running or not)?

Actually, he is probably saying the black power connector is melted, and that will not have been caused by leaving the battery in the aircraft. My personal view is that the P4 connector system is dodgy compared to the P3 system, because any dirt or contamination of the connectors (either on the battery or the aircraft) can cause resistance and therefore heat when the aircraft is in use. The older P3 used blade connectors which were self-cleaning and did not have this problem.
2018-5-1
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-1 15:43
Actually, he is probably saying the black power connector is melted, and that will not have been caused by leaving the battery in the aircraft. My personal view is that the P4 connector system is dodgy compared to the P3 system, because any dirt or contamination of the connectors (either on the battery or the aircraft) can cause resistance and therefore heat when the aircraft is in use. The older P3 used blade connectors which were self-cleaning and did not have this problem.

I'd be inclined to agree but it does not seem clear to me which it is, he has the P3 & P4.  
Although, I can see your point about it possibly experiencing some kind of short in that area.
If that is the case and it was not due to his fault or neglect then I'd say DJI should pony up for it.
2018-5-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-5-1 17:30
I'd be inclined to agree but it does not seem clear to me which it is, he has the P3 & P4.  
Although, I can see your point about it possibly experiencing some kind of short in that area.
If that is the case and it was not due to his fault or neglect then I'd say DJI should pony up for it.

The OP created two threads, this is the other one: https://forum.dji.com/thread-146454-1-1.html

The seond photo in that thread shows a melted black connector, same as used on a P4. And yes, I agree, DJI should repair it under warranty.
2018-5-1
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-1 18:54
The OP created two threads, this is the other one: https://forum.dji.com/thread-146454-1-1.html

The seond photo in that thread shows a melted black connector, same as used on a P4. And yes, I agree, DJI should repair it under warranty.

Could this be a case of cross pin insertion?
It appears your theory has more merit based on what you can see of it.  Something was not right with that seating of the Batt.  Lucky it didn't blow or catch fire...
2018-5-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-5-1 12:06
So let me be sure I understand the issue here...you went out and flew your drone with the battery, that you bought on eBay, and then left the battery in the drone after the flight until the next day, is that correct?

I didnt know about not to leave battery in the ac (must have swept over that during the light read) ive have done it since day 0 x7 months now, i could stop doing it but then i would have no where to put 4x p4p batteries, my bag is what you would class as over flowing lol

As for the OP, if it was me, i would deffo send both off to get checked out, more for piece of mind re the drone itself
2018-5-1
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-5-1 20:18
I didnt know about not to leave battery in the ac  (must have swept over that during the light read) ive have done it since day 0 x7 months now, i could stop doing it but then i would have no where to put 4x p4p batteries, my bag is what you would class as over flowing lol

As for the OP, if it was me, i would deffo send both off to get checked out, more for piece of mind re the drone itself

Yes for the P4P page 32 of the manual v1.4 refer to note 5 about air cooling batt after use
Then refer to the last page of the battery instructions note #4 under battery storage.  
So define extended period of time, maybe more than 10 days.
Either way and technically speaking never leave the battery in the drone after use until it has fully assumed ambient temperature or lower and don't store it in the drone.  This means not putting it away in a bag or case either until it has air cooled.
I imagine you could store it in the drone for short periods after it has cooled.
2018-5-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-5-1 20:50
Yes for the P4P page 32 of the manual v1.4 refer to note 5 about air cooling batt after use
Then refer to the last page of the battery instructions note #4 under battery storage.  

Air cool to me means none artificial cooling, e so it does not actually state, Do Not leave in the AC for the P4P? Its unlikely my bird would go 10 days without a flight but wouldnt rule it out... im about 5 days in now lol going out tomorrow
2018-5-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-5-1 19:30
Could this be a case of cross pin insertion?
It appears your theory has more merit based on what you can see of it.  Something was not right with that seating of the Batt.  Lucky it didn't blow or catch fire...

Don't know about cross pins, I imagine there are more than one pin connected to each side of the supply, considering the current. But if a pin is dirty or does not make good contact, you can get locallised arcing that heats up the pin and melts the connector.
2018-5-1
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer

Interesting point about leaving the battery in the ac for long periods ... i have been shipped x4 p4p new and they all came with the battery in the ac ? anyone have a take on that ? mixed messages coming from DJI i think ?
2018-5-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well, i think 4 x P4P's is just plain greedy, thats my take on it
2018-5-1
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-5-1 20:50

When flying from home i always take out my bats when i get inside the house but in the field i leave in AC until a bat change is needed, also when moving between locations, then i remove it when home.
At home after removal of a warm battery i place it raised a long side having the vents faced up/down, this create a natural air flow as long the bat temp is higher than room temp as the edge on top create enough room for air to get inside on the side facing down.
I always let my bats cool for at least an hour before recharging, as long it feel just a little warm i know the internal temp would be much higher.

I always have a charged battery mounted in the AC when i put it back in the box, the other batteries would go into the other battery rooms of the case after charge and cooling.
When the manual say to not keep a battery in the aircraft for extended periods it really must be extended (months) as DJI have the batteries in there from the factory to be stored for a unknown time until sold and taking into use one day.

@OP: For sure you should send it to DJI for a rep, something is wrong as there should be no draw of current when battery is off, mounted in AC or not.
The only explanation that can come to my mind is that it has not been fully inserted when you had it on for the ten minutes inside as a bad contact in the plug could cause a lot of heat but what ever reason you would need to have it checked.
2018-5-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sorry to read your post. Please kindly start a case, send the aircraft and battery in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support If you encounter any difficulties, please leave your case number here, we'd like to follow up.
2018-5-1
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-5-1 21:13
Air cool to me means none artificial cooling, e so it does not actually state, Do Not leave in the AC for the P4P? Its unlikely my bird would go 10 days without a flight but wouldnt rule it out... im about 5 days in now lol  going out tomorrow

How exactly can you achieve the air cooling of a battery if it is inside the enclosed compartment of a drone...answer, you cannot...meaning, you have to remove it, cool it, and then store it...meaning do not leave it in the drone after use.
Then it states to not store it in the drone for an "extended" period, so, you will have to define what that is, since they did not...I said 10 days...keep in mind that from a warranty stand point these are things that could be used against you.
But you do what you think is best...
2018-5-2
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-5-1 21:36
Interesting point about leaving the battery in the ac for long periods ... i have been shipped x4 p4p new and they all came with the battery in the ac ? anyone have a take on that ? mixed messages coming from DJI i think ?

Possibly, but as I noted what is the defined extended period...they did not say
When that happens everyone is left to their own interpretation, and like armpits everyone has at least two.
Regardless you should not leave a batt in after use until it has cooled down to the ambient temperature, and that will take awhile depending on conditions, like humidity etc.
As I see it the manuals are clear enough as to the intent and idea behind their purpose.
2018-5-2
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-1 21:47
When flying from home i always take out my bats when i get inside the house but in the field i leave in AC until a bat change is needed, also when moving between locations, then i remove it when home.
At home after removal of a warm battery i place it raised a long side having the vents faced up/down, this create a natural air flow as long the bat temp is higher than room temp as the edge on top create enough room for air to get inside on the side facing down.
I always let my bats cool for at least an hour before recharging, as long it feel just a little warm i know the internal temp would be much higher.

I can't argue your process, except to say I wouldn't leave a batt in after use any longer than absolutely necessary.  Similar to you, I remove mine right away and place inside the house or vehicle and let them immediately begin to cool.  Leaving them in the drone does not allow them to cool quickly and can actually insulate them and thus stores the heat even longer.  Heat does damage over time and will shorten the batt's life, it might mean extending the life of the battery by a year or more by cooling it sooner.
But, everyone can read the manual as they see it and determine what they think it means since DJI did not define it.  I will grant you that their is an argument to be made about the extended period being months rather than weeks or days, BUT, how many months I certainly don't think they mean a year or years???
2018-5-2
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-5-2 04:50
I can't argue your process, except to say I wouldn't leave a batt in after use any longer than absolutely necessary.  Similar to you, I remove mine right away and place inside the house or vehicle and let them immediately begin to cool.  Leaving them in the drone does not allow them to cool quickly and can actually insulate them and thus stores the heat even longer.  Heat does damage over time and will shorten the batt's life, it might mean extending the life of the battery by a year or more by cooling it sooner.
But, everyone can read the manual as they see it and determine what they think it means since DJI did not define it.  I will grant you that their is an argument to be made about the extended period being months rather than weeks or days, BUT, how many months I certainly don't think they mean a year or years???

Yep i agree , like a lot of things in life you have to use what knowledge you have and mix it up with  a little common sense
2018-5-2
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer

Bashy Posted at 2018-5-1 21:44
Well, i think 4 x P4P's is just plain greedy, thats my take on it

Hey Bashy it would be if they worked !!   .. sorry to the op for  going off subject but get this... DRONE 1 .  returned for stress cracks
DRONE 2.  dead battery .... returned
DRONE 3.  damaged in transit .... returned
DRONE 4.  Returned for stress cracks yesterday  
currently droneless  and the worst thing about it all is  finally in the Uk the weather is going to be good on a bank holiday  and good flying conditions are forecast   
Thinking of you lucky boys out flying over the weekend , fly safe
2018-5-2
Use props
Oldav8tor
lvl.2
United States

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-5-2 08:00
Hey Bashy it would be if they worked !!   .. sorry to the op for  going off subject but get this... DRONE 1 .  returned for stress cracks

Tough luck...Out of curiosity, where are your stress cracks appearing?  Also, do they happen soon after you start flying or after a certain number of hours?
2018-5-2
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer

Oldav8tor Posted at 2018-5-2 08:13
Tough luck...Out of curiosity, where are your stress cracks appearing?  Also, do they happen soon after you start flying or after a certain number of hours?

The Cracks appear on the motor arms around the air vents ( P4P ) and in both ac"s iv'e had  typically right rear after 180000-190000mtrs
2018-5-2
Use props
Oldav8tor
lvl.2
United States

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-5-2 09:14
The Cracks appear on the motor arms around the air vents ( P4P ) and in both ac"s iv'e had  typically right rear after 180000-190000mtrs

Thanks! I just started flying my P4A but I'll pay special attention to those areas. Sounds like they should have beefed it up just a bit around the vents.
2018-5-2
Use props
Droner500
lvl.4
United States

Where did you have the drone when the battery was still in it?
2018-5-2
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Oldav8tor Posted at 2018-5-2 09:18
Thanks! I just started flying my P4A but I'll pay special attention to those areas. Sounds like they should have beefed it up just a bit around the vents.

This seems like a common issue, not nearly as much with the P4s but more so noted with the P3s.  The problem is you can't really tell how extensive the problem might be, as noting it here is not very scientific as too many just come on when there is a problem.  Based on reports it does happen frequently enough to keep an eye on the arms as noted.
Most believe it is DJI using less than optimum type plastic (i.e. substandard).  With the right plastic compound I don't believe you'd see nearly as many of these cracks.  It is not a matter of needing beefed up, plastic needs more flex to it, understandability a fine line they have to walk there.
2018-5-2
Use props
rangers95
lvl.4
Flight distance : 584695 ft
Switzerland

Ok, so don't leave the battery in after a flight, Check!, and don't store battery in drone for a long period of time, Check!.
I have always swapped the battery for a fresh one, but after flying, left the last one in the bird,  never occurred to me to remove it and store it in the backpack. duh!
Thanks for all the tips guys and to the op, good luck with your case
2018-5-2
Use props
COPILOT VATER
lvl.3

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-5-1 23:15
Sorry to read your post. Please kindly start a case, send the aircraft and battery in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support If you encounter any difficulties, please leave your case number here, we'd like to follow up.

I am Not Going To LIE It Was A 3rd Party Battery Got It For A Good Price For It The Only Damage It Did To The Battery It Melt One End Of The Battery The Black Part  But The Bird Looks To Be Ok I Have Flown IT for Two Days Now Its Doing Great No Problems At All  I Have All Ways Here The Female Gets Damaged But Not The Male Dont or Do I Get The Bird Check Out It Still Under Warranty But It Was My Fault For Putting In The 3rd Party Your Info Would Be Great THX MR VATER
2018-5-2
Use props
COPILOT VATER
lvl.3

Droner500 Posted at 2018-5-2 09:25
Where did you have the drone when the battery was still in it?

ON BACK OF THE CAR IN A SHADE BUT ITS OK BUT I AM NOT GOING TO USE THE BATTERY AND IT STILL WORKS THE BLACK PART WAS HEATED UP BUT THE BIRD LOOK FINE NO DAMAGED AT ALL IT A LEARNING STAGE IF IT SCREWS UP I JUST BYE ANOTHER ONE IT ONLY MONEY
2018-5-2
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer

COPILOT VATER Posted at 2018-5-2 15:14
I am Not Going To LIE It Was A 3rd Party Battery Got It For A Good Price For It The Only Damage It Did To The Battery It Melt One End Of The Battery The Black Part  But The Bird Looks To Be Ok I Have Flown IT for Two Days Now Its Doing Great No Problems At All  I Have All Ways Here The Female Gets Damaged But Not The Male Dont or Do I Get The Bird Check Out It Still Under Warranty But It Was My Fault For Putting In The 3rd Party Your Info Would Be Great THX MR VATER

If you have flown it for two days now and experienced no problems or issues, at all, and you can see no visible damage to the inside battery compartment then I'd say, as you did, chalk it up to a learning experience and call it good.  In other words I see no reason to send it in to DJI.

Here is the thing about 3rd party batts, one can always argue that they are good and never have any problems but that is hoping that whoever is making them, makes them as identical as possible to the originals.  Because DJI is forever updating and reprograming them to the extent that they are very proprietary and the least little thing could cause the batt to short out or go bad.  That is just the way DJI wants it, you buy their stuff and only their stuff...meaning you are taking a chance in using those products, at least wise the batteries.
2018-5-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Most often, will leave a fully charged battery in my drone all the time. Not too worried about it.

I still need three more intelligent flight packs to fill my seven available slots of the Nanuk 945 case.

RedHotPoker
2018-5-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-5-2 08:00
Hey Bashy it would be if they worked !!   .. sorry to the op for  going off subject but get this... DRONE 1 .  returned for stress cracks

Damn, that is poor game for sure
2018-5-2
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer

Bashy Posted at 2018-5-2 20:36
Damn, that is poor game for sure

Not to worry i'm dusting off the bbq for the weekend so that will make it rain
2018-5-2
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer

COPILOT VATER Posted at 2018-5-2 15:19
ON BACK OF THE CAR IN A SHADE BUT ITS OK BUT I AM NOT GOING TO USE THE BATTERY AND IT STILL WORKS THE BLACK PART WAS HEATED UP BUT THE BIRD LOOK FINE NO DAMAGED AT ALL IT A LEARNING STAGE IF IT SCREWS UP I JUST BYE ANOTHER ONE IT ONLY MONEY

Glad your ac is ok , go  fly have some fun and put it down to experience , thanks for the thread it has reminded me to take more care of my batts
2018-5-2
Use props
Peo
First Officer
Flight distance : 25409793 ft
Sweden

Look here https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=127477
2018-5-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now