Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Video running race
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RobertEadie
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi,
A general question here, so this might not be the right place.
I would like to video our Village running race (in UK) and regulations say not within 50m of people or buildings, and not within 150m of a crowd (though some things I have read suggest this means over 1000 people).
If I draw a 50m exlusion zone around my Phantom 3 drone, I can't fly it anywhere within 500m of the race start, as there are (low) buildings around.
Are professional pilots subject to the same regulations, and how do people use their drone to record something like this?
Robert
2018-5-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You might discuss this planned flight, with local officials for a pass, to bypass the strict regulations and statutory bylaws.

Not sure what else to recommend... Wishing you much Good luck and success though.

RedHotPoker
2018-5-1
Use props
RobertEadie
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Many thanks for the quick reply RedHotPoker.
I'm sure that I can fly safely at the event, but obviously the committee don't want to go beyond what the regulations (in the UK) lay down.  If there were to be a problem, any insurance company would back out . . .??
I'm puzzled to know how professional pilots film in central London (you can never be more than 50m from a building or people) or how the great race videos I've seen have been done?
Frustrated.
Robert
2018-5-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Call a few pro video companies that do drone vids and ask.

Not sure where they are, from you, but the internet is a great place for research. ;-)

There must be a way you can get permission, to record some footage from a safe vantage point.

RedHotPoker
2018-5-1
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft

Hi  check out  Mays edition of Drone Magazine , there is an article  called Legal Eagle and an interview with a guy Darrell Mills who  filmed legally over  London .
He explains what permissions  he needed etc , and may give you an insight as to where to start  ..... also check out page 24/25 that's one of my pics
2018-5-1
Use props
RobertEadie
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks DeuceDog, I'll try to find the article and see where that gets me.
2018-5-2
Use props
RobertEadie
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Is the May 2018 issue 32 or 33?
2018-5-2
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

If you know those taking part in the race & the locals then if you get their permission I don't think there would be a problem.  But that would need to be checked, I certainly wouldn't fly directly over anybody.

You will get some good guidance from Here
2018-5-2
Use props
RobertEadie
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks Aardvark.  I am encouraged by this quote "In terms of filming or image capturing this limits how close we can get to people and structures that are nothing to do with us (i.e. not under the control of the pilot), however the positive aspect is that the wording of 95(c) permits closer operations where it is with the consent and knowledge of all parties involved (notwithstanding the primary endangering considerations of course).".  I shall do further reading and see where I get.  I do thank you more experienced droners (fliers?) for your replies and help.  I'm sure it should be possible to do a reasonable video (and I have already prepared a detailed Risk Assessment which I suspect might be more thorough than the RA for the race itself, though that might be unfair).
Any more suggestion gratefully received.
2018-5-2
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft

RobertEadie Posted at 2018-5-2 01:27
Is the May 2018 issue 32 or 33?

32 , the mag in general is worth a read it  has all the latest developments in the drone world and is not full of ads like some .
As Aardvark mentioned  seek permission from as many who may be affected by your flight  and just tell them what you plan to do  , flight route , time , altitude etc , i think if people know and understand what you are up to then you will have their support  . good luck , keep us posted
2018-5-2
Use props
RobertEadie
lvl.1
United Kingdom

At long last . . . . The Committee and I agreed that this year was too rushed, so I went out and videoed from above my house (not the start, but less than a Km from start) . .
. . .  and forgot to press the RECORD button!!!!!
Beginner's mistake, and I now have a label on the remote saying 'RECORD'!!!!
I have ordered the back issue you suggested, Deucedog, thanks, and we will work towards next year!  There is a lot of interest from the Committee, provided we are doing things 'by the book'.
Thanks for all your comments, and I might update you all in 11 months time!
2018-6-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules