I think my Tello called its' mother ship and went home...
Home / TELLO /
3292 9 2018-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
esommer
lvl.1
United States

Been flying the thing for a month and having a ball.  Both indoors and outdoors with great caution and care.  Never a problem until yesterday...  I was outside with half battery and tried to take off three times when it acted strange all three times.   It would take off and only come up about a foot then touch down like it was auto landing from a low battery.  But then on the fourth time, it was like a rocket like I never knew it had the power to do what it did.   It went up to about 300 feet in two seconds and just kept on going...  And yes twice, I shut down the app, the drone, and wifi before retrying.  Before I knew it no more comms because it was simply out of range.     Looked for it for about two hours but nothing.  Keep checking for WiFi but either was out of range to it or the battery died...

Would like to buy another one, but probably won't though.  This thing went out of control and I'm out a drone.   So for everybody, I don't know what to tell you?   Poof and gone.
2018-5-1
Use props
Sean Doughtie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36598 ft

That is disheartening... sorry for your loss.
2018-5-9
Use props
esommer
lvl.1

Sean Doughtie Posted at 2018-5-9 16:53
That is disheartening... sorry for your loss.

Thanks...  Fun indoor drone but that gets a little boring...    I even have the Marco Polo tracker system.  But do you think I had a transceiver mounted to it?   Nope...  Because I never let it go more than 30 feet from me and 10 feet high.    Boy it did this time...  So my new outdoor rule regardless of drove size, it gets a tracker.  Love to know what caused this...?   And I was only 3 feet away when it flew the coop...
2018-5-9
Use props
Sean Doughtie
lvl.2

Good idea!!! I’ll have to do that!
2018-5-10
Use props
esommer
lvl.1
United States

I use Marco Polo dual purpose.  It was mainly designed for dog tracking.   But the drones are great for it too now.  Kits range from about 225 to 400 depending on how many remote transceivers you buy.   You get a handheld base which can simultaneously speak with 3 remote transceivers.  I have one Dog type (waterproof) that slips into a sheath that connected to a regular dog collar, and two for my drone.   They sell three different type remote transceivers.  Dog, Drone, and a Mini.  The mini is mini but it's not waterproof rated like the Dog and Drone.   So when i fly around water, I use Drone.  Not over water, I sometimes use Mini.   But frankly, I mostly use the Drone all the time.  Connected by velcro.  The mini would be perfect for the Tello.  I just wish I had one...  Stupid me.  I saw no threat of loosing Tello because I don't fly it anywhere far from me.  But see what happen?  It just flew the coop like a rocket.  So be careful and be ever so vigilant of what you don't expect.   

Also and here's the best part...  The Marco Polo has about a 1/2 mile range minimum to more depending on what terrain you're dealing with.  It is enough to get a signal and when you do, it points which way to go which means the signal gets stronger.  

Here's another tip...  If any drone ever does a fly away, don't do what I did.  I looked down at the controller and tried to control it...  Not realizing it was already out of range.  In the mean time, the drone flew up and away and I didn't get a good dead reckoning on the direction, height, and what it was doing up there.   And when I looked up to find it, I couldn't.  Moral of the story when you know you have a fly away condition, simply hold your left finger down (if it does connect it will land) on the left joy stick and do whatever you can to run around and watch it.  What the direction is primarily so you have the best idea which way you need to go and find it with Marco Polo.

Have a great day...  I know I know, I write too much.
2018-5-10
Use props
Sean Doughtie
lvl.2
United States

I wonder is a small gps tracker or key tracker like The Tile would work. Marco Pollo seems a bit much...
2018-5-10
Use props
esommer
lvl.1
United States

GPS tracker would work but it's dependent on you having internet to use an app to track it.   And then you need to pay for it monthly most likely.  Tile or the like is bluetooth I believe and pathetic range...  100 feet maybe at best?  You better really know where it went down.  Marco is expensive but it's completely self contained without any other supporting pieces needed and/or to pay for that limits its' use.  Look at youtube.  Many videos and comparisons.   I just wanted something that worked all by itself with good range.
2018-5-10
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

Sorry to hear that
2018-6-5
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

By the way if you have time come and read my post about my Tello crash and getting and new one from Ryze thx !
2018-6-5
Use props
RYZE
Super Moderator

Hong Kong

Hey, sorry to read on that. In regard your case, we respectfully suggest you contact the right support support@ryzerobotics.com for further assistance.  
2018-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules