2784 32 2018-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rikk08
Captain
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

I am considering selling my mavic pro to get a mavic air instead for travelling simply for the size of this thing and since the camera is supposed to be better.

What do you guys think about the camera in comparison to the mavic pro? Is it worth the mavic pro for?

I'd like a drone for travelling and then I'd probably get the P5 (once it is release) for the quality.
2018-5-2
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, both of the Mavic pro and Mavic air are great drones.
2018-5-2
Use props
mlamb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140190 ft
United States

I don't think I would consider it an upgrade...
2018-5-2
Use props
TFile
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56398 ft
United Kingdom

I have the Mavic Air and it's a great little drone, still images and video are both great and for me, the flight time is not an issue. It just focuses your attention to get good shots early.
2018-5-2
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

IMO Pro's on the MA to me is the gimbal seems much stronger, cool Quickshot features & size, Cons are its relatively loud, No OCCUsync. I also wouldn't consider it an upgrade but just a different category, they all serve a specific purpose.
2018-5-2
Use props
eried
Second Officer
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Denmark

I think selling it makes sense if you are getting the phantom plus the Air, otherwise I think it does not worth it. I think the footage looks the same or even better in the Pro.

Also, the Pro looks better with sharper body lines.
2018-5-2
Use props
rikk08
Captain
  • >>>
Malta

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-5-2 02:15
Hi, both of the Mavic pro and Mavic air are great drones.

have no doubt about that!! absolutely happy with the mavic. Best purchase I've done so far!
2018-5-2
Use props
rikk08
Captain
  • >>>
Malta

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-2 02:28
IMO Pro's on the MA to me is the gimbal seems much stronger, cool Quickshot features & size, Cons are its relatively loud, No OCCUsync. I also wouldn't consider it an upgrade but just a different category, they all serve a specific purpose.

didn't mean to say upgrade rather than change/swapping - title fixed.

How would you compare the pro to the air seeing that you own/used to own both drones?
2018-5-2
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In my opinion they are both great drones.
Both are great travel drones. The Air has the advantage of being more compact but the Pro has a longer flight time. Sure the Air has 100Mbps bitrate but if you are only sharing online then this isnt something the end viewer will notice that much compared to the Pro. You also have a few more settings available on the Pro at the moment such as waypoints and dynamic homepoint but hopefully they will update the Air to support these in a future update.

I have both and I use both depending on the situation. For example this weekend I'm hoping to get out on the motorbike for a ride out. Ill be taking the Pro to capture some shots of us riding and the Air for when we stop for a break to get some scenery and shots of us hanging out.

In my opinion, if you already have the Pro, stick with it. Its a great drone that produces some amazing images and video, besides, the Air isn't really an upgrade. More like an upgrade to the Spark.
2018-5-2
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

As we own both it would break my heart to sell either as both have features unique to each drone. The camera and gimble on the air are superb whereas the pro outperforms the air in connectivity. That said I have had the air out to 1000m no issues. Keep the pro and invest in the air best of both worlds.
2018-5-2
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft
United States

Only thing I can say is, I have the Mavic Pro, Mavic Pro Platinum and lately, the Mavic Air. I haven't used my MP and MPP ever since my MA arrived. For me, MA is all in all better aside from the range. But I like the features of MA much better and I don't really fly out of sight. 100 Mbps > 60 Mbps any day!
2018-5-2
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

rikk08 Posted at 2018-5-2 02:48
have no doubt about that!! absolutely happy with the mavic. Best purchase I've done so far!

Glad to know that. Appreciate your support to DJI products.
2018-5-2
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

rikk08 Posted at 2018-5-2 02:49

How would you compare the pro to the air seeing that you own/used to own both drones?

If you fly within VLOS I would recommend the MA, If you like to fly long distances then the MP. I own then both as well as a P3P & P4P to tell you the truth they all have a specific purpose, If and when they DJI introduces a Mavic Pro 2 and it comes with a sturdier gimbal and camera quality of the P4P it's a no brainer for me, will sell the P3P & MP then IMO my arsenal is complete for my purposes. Will always hang onto the MA it is a pretty cool drone.
2018-5-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

rikk08 Posted at 2018-5-2 02:49

For me using both camera is important and MavAir has slight edge, but the gimbal of MavAir is really far ahead with simply no problems with tilted horizon.

If time in sky is going to be a problem then of course Mavic, but usually those using and planning photography through drones won’t need the extra time.

Get the MavAir, and wait to see what Mavic Pro 2 and phantom 5 brings.
2018-5-2
Use props
rikk08
Captain
  • >>>
Malta

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-5-2 03:14
Glad to know that. Appreciate your support to DJI products.

Thankss DJI are the industry leaders when it comes to drones and gimbals in my opinion, their technology is ahead of the competition and even their customer support - can't really complain. Cannot wait for the new mavic & phnatom to be announced though.  Would love to know an estimated release date as I need to apply for a drone permit for my trip to Namibia in September but I doubt it would be released in time for me to buy and receive the drone and have enough time to apply.
2018-5-2
Use props
rikk08
Captain
  • >>>
Malta

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-2 03:16
If you fly within VLOS I would recommend the MA, If you like to fly long distances then the MP. I own then both as well as a P3P & P4P to tell you the truth they all have a specific purpose, If and when they DJI introduces a Mavic Pro 2 and it comes with a sturdier gimbal and camera quality of the P4P it's a no brainer for me, will sell the P3P & MP then IMO my arsenal is complete for my purposes. Will always hang onto the MA it is a pretty cool drone.

Apart from the fact that both drone are very hard to keep VLOS while in the air, I don't always fly within VLOS as I'd like to get as many different shots as possible. I seriously can't wait for the Mavic 2 and P5 but I don't think either will be release in time for my next travel abroad hence why I'm thinking about keep the pro or getting air.

Range is kind of a big con for me but then again the gimbal is way better than the pro and I've already had to return my first pro due to gimbal issues
2018-5-2
Use props
rikk08
Captain
  • >>>
Malta

M2Wair Posted at 2018-5-2 02:56
As we own both it would break my heart to sell either as both have features unique to each drone. The camera and gimble on the air are superb whereas the pro outperforms the air in connectivity. That said I have had the air out to 1000m no issues. Keep the pro and invest in the air best of both worlds.

Would love to get both but as a filmmaker who's starting out I cannot afford it at the moment and I'd prefer to invest the extra money in a better quality drone or gimbal or new camera. Basically all my earning goes into gear and travel but I still have to invest wisely in both ;)
2018-5-2
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

rikk08 Posted at 2018-5-2 04:00
Apart from the fact that both drone are very hard to keep VLOS while in the air, I don't always fly within VLOS as I'd like to get as many different shots as possible. I seriously can't wait for the Mavic 2 and P5 but I don't think either will be release in time for my next travel abroad hence why I'm thinking about keep the pro or getting air.

Range is kind of a big con for me but then again the gimbal is way better than the pro and I've already had to return my first pro due to gimbal issues

If you are not having any issues with the MP I would hang on to it until your ready to purchase an additional drone and have both.
2018-5-2
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

rikk08 Posted at 2018-5-2 04:01
Would love to get both but as a filmmaker who's starting out I cannot afford it at the moment and I'd prefer to invest the extra money in a better quality drone or gimbal or new camera. Basically all my earning goes into gear and travel but I still have to invest wisely in both ;)

I have both, the MA's gimbal is more rugged, better for travel.  However the video transmission is lacking when compared to the MP.  I often get a blocky or pixelated image on the screen using the MA, never had that on the MP.  I use the quiet props on the MP and it is very quiet compared to any other drone I've flown.  I think the MP is a bit better in very windy conditions but not quite as good as my P4 but for traveling the P4 stays home.  If you shoot 4K I think the MA is a bit better.  I'm still a 1080P guy so this is not important to me however 1080P on the MP sucks and was the main reason I got the MA.
2018-5-2
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

I have both and use them for different situations.  The Air is a great travel/hiking drone
2018-5-2
Use props
GrahamG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73369 ft

I have the MP and certainly don’t see the MA as an upgrade. I might be tempted in a year or so by DJIs latest drone though ( what ever that may be). Time will tell.
2018-5-2
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

rikk08 Posted at 2018-5-2 04:01

Yeah I do get where you are coming from, but in the same breath, you have to speculate to accumulate and as a filmmaker sometimes you have to have a contingency when sometimes things go wrong, a second drone could be your get out of jail card in case the MP goes down with a technical fault/crash.  

That said, as somebody else has correctly mentioned keep the MP and when finances permit buy a second drone.  I sincerely hope this works out for you, good luck and our best wishes.
2018-5-2
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Why would you want to downgrade unless you looking at the camera. The pro camera is also not that far off to the Air. I would keep the Pro
2018-5-2
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Only if you had a fart in your brain or something. Absolutely NOT! I own both, and while I have had considerable problems with disconnects with my MA, the Pro is just that, a pro, never a problem and great connection. My advise,  Don't do it.
2018-5-2
Use props
rikk08
Captain
  • >>>
Malta

Bill B Posted at 2018-5-2 10:09
Only if you had a fart in your brain or something. Absolutely NOT! I own both, and while I have had considerable problems with disconnects with my MA, the Pro is just that, a pro, never a problem and great connection. My advise,  Don't do it.

Okayy I'm glad you say that thanks! Will stick with the pro for now and then we'll see..can't really complain much about it and the range with the MA is kind of a big con for me as I like to get several shots in one go.
2018-5-3
Use props
MavicFit91
First Officer
Flight distance : 573225 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is absolutely worth it, I hardly even touch my pro any more.
2018-5-4
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I think it all comes down to personal preference. Flying the Mavic Pro, you will realize their are certain limitations to the Mavic Air and its Remote Controller has no telemetry. The Mavic Pro has longer battery life, it can fly longer distance with OcuSync, and the drone can shoot in cinematic 4K 4096x2160p. The Mavic Air weighs 430 grams while the Mavic Pro weighs 768 grams.
2018-5-4
Use props
rikk08
Captain
  • >>>
Malta

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-4 10:55
I think it all comes down to personal preference. Flying the Mavic Pro, you will realize their are certain limitations to the Mavic Air and its Remote Controller has no telemetry. The Mavic Pro has longer battery life, it can fly longer distance with OcuSync, and the drone can shoot in cinematic 4K 4096x2160p. The Mavic Air weighs 430 grams while the Mavic Pro weighs 768 grams.

The Pro is still the pro I guess....can't wait for the next pro to come out. I will stick with the pro for the time being as I was considering the air for my next holiday in September but a new pro won't be announced and arrive in time for me to apply for a permit I guess. No complaints with the mavic pro so far..awesome drone
2018-5-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I rate the Mavic Pro very highly and have owned all 3 versions of it and still have the Platinum. I bought the Mavic Air on Monday of this week and have already flown it ten times in 5 days - I wasn't impressed by the specs (WiFi) after seeing the launch so naturally hesitant to get it and held off for a few months. Bottom line - I LOVE IT! LOL. It is an amazing drone for it's form factor.

The MPP gives me an extra c. 8 minutes of flight time per battery. I can fly a mile away and not even notice it. It has a much faster cruising speed in P-mode. OcuSync is amazing and you probably already know why. The RC is clearly superior to the MA's RC. And it is quiet, very quiet in comparison.

The MA is streamlined in almost every way and not over done with excellent attention to detail in it's overall construction. It is not as loud as I thought it would be. It's steady as a rock in fast winds. The gimbal is outstanding and every shot has a perfectly balanced horizon - unlike the pro. There is not an inch of drift. 100MBPS makes the image noticeably improved on a 4K screen as is 2.7K @ 60p. FHD in slow mo looks stunning and the pano's look like something out of an Inspire 2.

I can charge 4 batteries from 15%-100% in just over 3 hours whereas the MPP will take longer to charge 3 batteries. 4 batteries gives me well over an hour of flight time and is good enough. I have reached 1.1KM in a CE area and still had 2 bars of signal with no glitches before I decided to fly back - the transmission quality will be good enough flying in more rural areas within a mile radius.

Smart capture is so accurate that I do not think it is a gimmick unlike the Spark. I reached 43MPH in Sport mode. Bottom line - the MPP has been in my closet since I bought the Air and will probably remain there for some time as having a lot of fun with the MA and the images are better quality. Oh, it's also more modern looking, 320g lighter and folds down smaller than even the Spark - perfect for travel.

Overall, it shares similar tech to the P4P and is a huge upgrade to the Spark. It's better than the Mavic Pro in a number of ways and inferior in others. Highly recommend it and yes, if I had to choose I would keep the MA now mainly due to the clearly superior gimbal and the fact that I fly for aerial photography and not to do range tests. Hope this helps.

2018-5-5
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

rikk08 Posted at 2018-5-5 02:01
The Pro is still the pro I guess....can't wait for the next pro to come out. I will stick with the pro for the time being as I was considering the air for my next holiday in September but a new pro won't be announced and arrive in time for me to apply for a permit I guess. No complaints with the mavic pro so far..awesome drone

I think the Mavic Pro is one of those vintage type consumer electronic products will be remembered as a classic for drone enthusiasts.
2018-5-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-5 07:27
I think the Mavic Pro is one of those vintage type consumer electronic products will be remembered as a classic for drone enthusiasts.

I totally agree - there are a few items that revolutionise tech such as the original iPhone and in the drone world the original Mavic Pro will evolve into a similar classic. It's not vintage just yet though but will be for sure - along with the other land mark drones such as the original Phantom, Inspire 1, Phantom 3 Professional (first consumer grade with 4K and lightbridge) and possibly the Spark for it being the first with face recognition/advanced gestures and possibly the Mavic Air to a lesser extent for being the first with APAS. I hope everyone on this forum realises that we are all pioneers of this amazing technology.
2018-5-5
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>

I would keep the mavic Pro......
2018-5-5
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft