Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro Platinum Gimbal goes haywire in flight
1340 6 2018-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kevin36
lvl.3
Flight distance : 356476 ft
South Africa

While flying my new Mavic Pro Platinum that is only a week old occasionally the gimbal goes haywire and then locks up at a weird angle, sometimes it sorts itself out in flight other times I have to land and gently move it by hand to free it as in this case. I have done a gimbal calibration a few times.

Here is a camera view of what happens. Note the warning beeps (possibly due to flying into the sun??) then the action of the gimbal. I hit RTH as I panicked it was another Black Eagle attack The video recording also stopped at this point.

Here is the flight record. I received a max altitude warning. I stopped, changed from 120m to 500m and continued my flight path. Then got the "Braking now" warning and it stopped in mid flight. Notice I did not adjust the gimbal myself.

No filters. Stock standard. I even suspected that protective sticker to maybe catching but as you can see it is on the opposite side. The camera is not supposed to extend so far in this direction.

Any advice? I have also logged a DJI Support ticket.

31582172_10155135476476394_901690450644041728_n.jpg
31781898_10155135476756394_7033247747381657600_n.jpg
flight_data_data.jpg
flight_data_map.jpg
2018-5-2
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. May I confirm that did there any crash or hard landing to your drone? Could you please check all the original videos from the SD card to see if all the original videos have the issue? Thanks!
2018-5-2
Use props
Bob Brown
Captain
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is called a "Gimble Reset Bug". More common than you think. I used to get them frequently.
I would return the current drone for a new one just to "re-roll" the dice in hopes you get a better unit. (your call)

What I have done to resolve:
1. Don't panic and maintain vlos if within range; if no vlos just pretend you do.
2. Allow the gimble to complete the reset and then land immediately and as safely as possible.
    (no RTH button unless you absolutely have to! reason: the drone is malfunctioning; maybe not ok to trust it?)
3. Power off both the AC and RC and swap out for a fresh battery; power on AC / RC.
4. In the GO4 settings, On the camera tab, Recenter the gimble (x2) in the camera settings and then calibrate.

~ Ever since I have done this I have not gotten the gimble reset. (50+ flights)

You can also try using the Assitant 2 application and force a AC/RC software refresh in hopes of trying to correct it. (I have not heard of this working so most likely a waste of time.)

What I would NOT do:
1. Return to DJI for repair. (There is no record/claim of DJI fixing this issue via repair.) The drone is so new the retailer should take it back as defective and you let them deal with DJI while you fly your new drone.
2. Nothing; I would not just let it sit in the box and ignore it... time to return the defective unit is limited.

Note: I also noticed a hard brake in one of the videos.. front collision sensors picked up the sun rays/refelection and thought it was an object... I have learned to fly wihout since there is no sensitivity control for these sensors.

2018-5-2
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.3
South Africa

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-5-2 02:45
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. May I confirm that did there any crash or hard landing to your drone? Could you please check all the original videos from the SD card to see if all the original videos have the issue? Thanks!

Hi DJI Diana. I can confirm there has never been any crashes or hard landing or bumps or anything. This is a brand new MPP I got on the 23rd of April. I did have front and down facing sensor warnings on my first flight but after doing a calibration with DJI Assistant 2 this was resolved. The original video also has this same video. Note that the gimbal gets stuck in this position and has to be manually freed.
2018-5-2
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.3
South Africa

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-5-2 02:48
It is called a "Gimble Reset Bug". More common than you think. I used to get them frequently.
I would return the current drone for a new one just to "re-roll" the dice in hopes you get a better unit. (your call)

How many more Mavic Pros do I have to return?
I bought my first in November 2017, it flew without any issues until a Black Eagle took it out.

On the 9th of April I bought a new MP from DJI. On the 13th of April DJI exchanged it for another new Mavic Pro, this one also had the same Magnetic Interference issues that could not be resolved.

On the 23rd of April I got a MPP. It gave front-facing and down-facing senor warnings so I could not fly it. When I returned home I calibrated it with DJI Asssistant 2. It has been fine since.

Now I am experiencing these gimbal issues? WTH is going on with these MP's? It is a very expensive item you don't expect to experience this?

2018-5-2
Use props
Bob Brown
Captain
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kevin36 Posted at 2018-5-2 03:04
How many more Mavic Pros do I have to return?
I bought my first in November 2017, it flew without any issues until a Black Eagle took it out.

I totally agree. Sounds like a lot of different issues going on... I got lucky and only had the gimble issue.

The magnetic compass is a big one.. that can cause some nasty crashes. Calibrate and then VERIFY the drone's heading in the lower lh corner of DJI Go before every single flight! Preflight checks are critically important; especially the compass!

Vision sensors are problematic... I turn them off in the app to avoid issues in flight.
I did not know that the MPP has rear vision sensors... does it?

Anyways... I know it sounds daunting but return it and get another NEW one. (DJI will give you a used/refirb most likely if you send it to them for repairs. Not always the case though.)

Afterthought:
Magnetic issue can be caused by rocks. I see you fly in areas with lots of rock... there is metal in those rocks so depending where you take off from the rocks could have been throwing off the compass and causing issues?

2018-5-2
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.3
South Africa

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-5-2 03:15
I totally agree. Sounds like a lot of different issues going on... I got lucky and only had the gimble issue.

The magnetic compass is a big one.. that can cause some nasty crashes. Calibrate and then VERIFY the drone's heading in the lower lh corner of DJI Go before every single flight! Preflight checks are critically important; especially the compass!

Sorry I meant downward facing sensor, I fixed the post. wrt. the Magnetic Interference there is a separate post for this, I flew in several different places and it was always only with the camera facing downwards. My first MP did not do this and neither does my MPP.
2018-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules