Aircraft retains RTH if flown past 20 meters from Home Point (poorly documented)
12Next >
3829 43 2015-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I just tested the RTH Height is NOT RETAINED!! Dji is totally wrong and this BUG is Dangerous!!

For everyone: You must enter return to home Altitude manually EACH time after you turn off the the Bird and tablet!! Under the latest firmware IT RESETS to 0 after power cycle!! If you have a signal loss the bird will take a straight path to your home at current height and MAY collide with any obstruction in the way!!

arun mehta

edit: May 14-2015

Just retested both my Inspires they Both retain the RTH height IF you fly past 20 meters from home point . i was testing less than 20 meter hence the failure to retain RTH height number

more reading
2015-5-10
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Its a good observation, DJI should check this ASAP!!
2015-5-10
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I had this problem with my previous bird.  It was a defective barometer not the App, but I agree DJ should double check.  You should perhaps get your aircraft checked also.
Check the vertical height with actual height.

2015-5-10
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

Very dangerous indeed.
2015-5-10
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>
United States

What app are you using? I am using IOS and it has retained it the last few times.
2015-5-10
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

Canada

Same here, running IOS and it seems to be saving all the settings
2015-5-10
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

I'm using the iPad never lost the RTH altitude user setting once after several flights , the earlier firmware and the latest nothing changed here I've checked it often since your posts. Sounds like your bird is having trouble or your device.
2015-5-10
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>
United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-5-11 09:57
I'm using the iPad never lost the RTH altitude user setting once after several flights , the earlier ...

Daver...I am with you. I never lost any of my settings. They all transferred over just fine.
This whole thing is nothing but a big mess and of course noone from DJI is here to help.
2015-5-10
Use props
ChevereFly
New
Flight distance : 15807 ft
Spain

Thanks for the advice. One question: what should be a recommended RTH altitude?
Thanks again.
2015-5-10
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Same here with my ios app it resets the fail safe setting for return every time you power the air craft down..
I chose to switch back to my android tablet and no issues... Has to be the app I suspect.

This has to be a firmware bug and I refuse to use the IOS app till they get this figured out. Back to the android ,,sucks cuz I liked the ios app is was much better via the map cache feature..
2015-5-10
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

ChevereFly Posted at 2015-5-11 13:55
Thanks again.

At least 20 feet higher than the highest obstruction (building, tree, hill) where you fly.  You can always take the bird up to a hover in your first flight in a new area, do a 360 degree rotation and ensure everything is BELOW you, then add 20 feet to that altitude and set it as your RTH height.  Then just ensure you are never taking off from UNDER anything - you want to ensure that your home point is always completely in the clear.
2015-5-10
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

ChevereFly Posted at 2015-5-11 13:55
Thanks again.

I set mine for 50 m as a fail safe. There is lots of sky its when your low things get dicey so best escape is always up!
And as poster before me (Petegold)  stated.. Make sure launch area is clear of obstructions as you may have to hit RTh and never take off under an obstruction or wires etc..
2015-5-10
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

daver/m Posted at 2015-5-11 09:57
I'm using the iPad never lost the RTH altitude user setting once after several flights , the earlier ...

You HAVE to power cycle BOTH Bird AND TABLET to lose the RTH Height !!!
2015-5-11
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

I seem to be ok after upgrade.  I'm running the iOS app...have you uncovered further info on your observation?
2015-5-11
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Australia

Do we have DJI feedback on this?  (Damn...I know the answer...
2015-5-11
Use props
dentin11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155646 ft
United States

yes,  I found with the new 1.1 OS version of the app the Failsafe RTH setting is not retained in the app when you close the app and reopen it and power cycle the bird as well.   I would agree theres a bug,  so I also reset the RTH number from zero as part of my preflight check list now.
2015-5-11
Use props
FromAdronesEye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93146 ft
Dominican Republic

The first time I took my inspire to fly after the update I still had the RTH att set, but the next few time it was in 0, so i had to change it to...
2015-5-11
Use props
jon
lvl.3

United Kingdom

FromAdronesEye Posted at 2015-5-11 21:52
The first time I took my inspire to fly after the update I still had the RTH att set, but the next f ...

Exactly the same here,...
2015-5-11
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

I've not had any problems.
2015-5-11
Use props
lesmess
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2753402 ft
United Kingdom

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2015-5-11 23:02
I've not had any problems.

No problems here, when I power up my Ipad Mini 2 it reads 0 as soon as I power up the bird it reads 50m as set several power ups ago.  I aways check before flying though as i always have, it's part of my pre-flight checklist.
2015-5-11
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

dentin11 Posted at 2015-5-11 21:22
yes,  I found with the new 1.1 OS version of the app the Failsafe RTH setting is not retained in the ...

Same here using the IOS app with the ipad mini.  I heard here on several posts it retains the set fail safe but displays 0 so yes there is a bug.
Android tablet works fine no issues IOS not so much .
2015-5-11
Use props
dickie3126
lvl.1

United States

Hello all,

Mine does not retain height after shutting down the controller and the aircraft. I'm using the Ipad Air.
2015-5-11
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Many posts here claim the RTH is retained. ONly when you turn OFF(completely) the Ipad AND the AIRCRAFT ...you lose the setting for RTH NOT just turning off app only ....hence the partial reproducibility of this bug
2015-5-12
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

arunmehta Posted at 2015-5-12 17:35
Many posts here claim the RTH is retained. ONly when you turn OFF(completely) the Ipad you lose the  ...

The setting is cached inside the aircraft. This is clever because a number of people use multiple devices to fly one particular aircraft or multiple devices on multiple aircraft. The DJI Pilot  app only 'forgets' when it is opened without the aircraft being linked to the transmitter and tablet.
2015-5-12
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

Honestly, your sensationalistic tone is not helpful. Also as pointed out in a very logical manner, it is flawed. I would recommend you voluntarily withdraw the post.
2015-5-12
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2015-5-13 12:11
Honestly, your sensationalistic tone is not helpful. Also as pointed out in a very logical manner, i ...

Mike-the-CAT are you with DJI? Have you tested AFTER turning off the aircraft  AND then trying to land RTH because I HAVE and it does NOT work. The craft DOES NOT rise to that height that i put in 100 meters...IT just landed at that site.  did not even come to the home point!!

If aircraft was following my (as you call "cached") height instructions it should RISE or LOWER to 100 meters AND then try to land at HOME POSITION. IT DID not. If you find my posts sensationalistic it is because I do NOT want to lose my aircraft by hitting a tree. I am warning my fellow Inspire owners about the danger!!
BTW i have two Inspires and i have tested on BOTH!

EDIT: The aircraft does rise to my prescribed 100 meter height and land on my Home point ONLY if it has flown PAST the 20 METER radius! below 20 meters it land at the same heihght and same spot.
2015-5-13
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2015-5-13 12:11
Honestly, your sensationalistic tone is not helpful. Also as pointed out in a very logical manner, i ...

OK to Please MIKE the CAT This morning this is what i did:

I RE tested BOTH Inspires that i have they both confirm that after the powerdown cycle on BOTH TABLET AND AIRCRAFT  the aircraft LOSES the height it is supposed to ascend BEFORE landing at the Homepoint

IN both my tests the aircraft ascended to my prescribed height of 50 meters when RTH was issued BEFORE the POwercycle on tablet and the Aircraft (the airpad 3 air has to be turned off by pressing on the power button for 10 seconds and then sliding off)

AFTER turning off (hard off) BOTH aircraft and Remote and tablet

when i issued the RTH command the aircraft LANDED at the CURRENT HEIGHT and current location!!!

very dangerous!!!

I challenge anyone to repeat these tests and come up with DJI answer that the aircraft retains the RTH altitude!! Not happening my friends You have to  enter EACH time the RTH altitude!!
2015-5-13
Use props
TheFlyGuy
lvl.2

Israel

And this is exactly what's happened to me! The craft lost signal suddenly and went straight to a building and crash!
2015-5-13
Use props
FictitiousPerso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303356 ft
Italy

GrahamJ Posted at 2015-5-11 21:21
Do we have DJI feedback on this?  (Damn...I know the answer...

Lol Silly question.......

PM me ! Oh that's right we can't.
2015-5-13
Use props
chad
lvl.2

United States

sbarryjackson@s Posted at 2015-5-11 09:11
What app are you using? I am using IOS and it has retained it the last few times.

I'm using iOS and it didn't retain settings. Latest app and firmware.
2015-5-13
Use props
DJI-JS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48940 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi arunmehta,
When you test RTH, did you fly the craft more than 20m (65ft) away? If the craft is too close to the home point, it will land as is.

The 0 number is a display issue in app, the actual value is programmed to the craft. And we just did a test just like yours: power on -> program the height -> fly out more than 20m -> RTH -> power cycle everything -> App shows 0 -> fly out more than 20m -> RTH. The craft will ascent as previously programed during the second RTH.

Also, during RTH, and throttle movement on the remote will cancel the ascent.

2015-5-13
Use props
bujao10
lvl.1

Brazil

I use nvidia shield and everything looks ok even the RTH keeps the set altitude.
2015-5-13
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-JS Posted at 2015-5-14 04:59
Hi arunmehta,
When you test RTH, did you fly the craft more than 20m (65ft) away? If the craft is to ...

No i flew less than twenty meters away.. i did not want to lose by sending it into the adjoining golf course..so maybe it does retain after that distance i will test tomorrow at 21 meters away and report back

Thanks i am glad someone from DJi is responding and straightening this out
2015-5-13
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

arunmehta Posted at 2015-5-13 21:27
OK to Please MIKE the CAT This morning this is what i did:

I RE tested BOTH Inspires that i have  ...

I RTH'ed today but from a distance > 2000m and no problems, rose to 30m as programmed; regained control from a switch to ATTI. Was using the system on a new tablet  having programmed that height on another tablet previously (default is 20m).

I think the 20m rule set by DJI (to land where the copter is) is so that people don't RTH onto themselves by accident.

2015-5-13
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

There is a related post: http://forum.dji.com/thread-15059-1-1.html
2015-5-13
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2015-5-14 13:30
I RTH'ed today but from a distance > 2000m and no problems, rose to 30m as programmed; regained con ...

Dear Mike the Cat,

I was also 2500 feet away today and the RC signal got lost the aircraft did rise to 100 meters and come back to home point!! A real life unintended test ...SUCCESS!! i have modified the name of the post and added corrections to my posts

arun
2015-5-14
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

arunmehta Posted at 2015-5-14 19:22
Dear Mike the Cat,

I was also 2500 feet away today and the RC signal got lost the aircraft did ri ...

Thanks Arun. Enjoy flying! The Inspire is quite an advance over the P1 and P2 in flight control systems, stability, speed and user interface.

I've had my share of mishaps with the other two systems but so far, the Inspire has behaved itself. Fingers crossed.

BTW, unless you are flying over trees from the ground level or in a place where there is lots of wifi traffic, you should do lots better than 2500 feet. In clear conditions, I've gone up to over 3.2 km with a stock transmitter and no modifications.
2015-5-15
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Australia

LOL...love your work mate...
2015-5-15
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

my inspire retains the Rth preset altitude no matter if I turn the bird and iPad off and on ,change the battery's etc , it holds the setting no matter what I do, good I guess then.
Tested this several times and just not having this problem ....
2015-5-16
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

daver/m Posted at 2015-5-17 05:55
my inspire retains the Rth preset altitude no matter if I turn the bird and iPad off and on ,change  ...

try turning the ipad off(hard off) with a hold on for 10 seconds on the power button not just 1 second..
2015-5-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules