IPad
1300 11 2018-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
James R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423871 ft
United States

I was looking into buying an IPAD for my drone. I was hoping I could find some advice here as I will run into questions as we go along.

I use my drone to film mostly around streams and waterfalls. By doing so, I have having to fight the VPS as the areas I film are remote and lack GPS. The problem is, its one thing to fight the conditions I film in. It's another to do it while unable to see the screen as well. I have a shade and it doesnt seem to "help" much with my Iphone 5.

Here are the things I am looking for.

-Bright screen
-Good resolution
-Anti Glare
-Good enough space to hold any updates that DJI and Apple drop. Not worried about video caching.
-Size : Fills the phantom 4 mount.  

Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks!
2018-5-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The current iPads still are subnject to glare on the screen. I use a very good hood I bought off eBay with my Air 2, and I can see reasonably well. I would think the latest 10.5" iPad would be very suitable, but would need a good shade.

I am puzzled though by your comment that the locations are remote and 'lack GPS'. The GPS system is available all over the world, as long as you are not in deep canyons or under dense forest canopy.
2018-5-3
Use props
James R
lvl.4

That exactly it. Lots of mountains and deep valleys prevents signal. When I get 150 feet or so in the air, gps picks up.
2018-5-3
Use props
hfk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 65781 ft
United States

I use the new apple 9.7” “ipad” and the “hoodman” with my 1st generation phantom 4 and have no problems with updates and everything works together flawlessly. Hoodman is a little expensive but i think well worth it. The ipad screen is bright but not bright enough in full sun. Also the screen is rather glossy. I tried a matte screen protector but it reduced thr brightness.
2018-5-3
Use props
James R
lvl.4
United States

Did you get the hood before you tried the visor?
2018-5-3
Use props
Rvrrat14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 655932 ft

I would look at the air series.   Get the latest model on the approved list that has the high resolution clear display.   My Ipad 2017 does have bad glare, while my older Air 2 is clearer.
2018-5-4
Use props
James R
lvl.4
United States

In regards to the air series, I'm not willing to pay for the air service, would that be an issue?
2018-5-4
Use props
Jan Jensen
lvl.3
Denmark

i use a hoodman  and a ipad mini 2

http://shop.hoodmanusa.com/category-s/149.htm
2018-5-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I use the iPad Air 2 exclusively with my Phantom 3 Pro', but am soon looking into buying some www.ghostarmor.com matte film for my screen.

They have a physical kiosk in the shopping mall near me. Right outside the Apple Store!! ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-5-6
Use props
James R
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-5-6 10:45
I use the iPad Air 2 exclusively with my Phantom 3 Pro', but am soon looking into buying some www.ghostarmor.com matte film for my screen.

They have a physical kiosk in the shopping mall near me. Right outside the Apple Store!! ;-)

Do you pay for the air service or is it required?
2018-5-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

James R Posted at 2018-5-8 12:47

What is the air service you talk about? In talking of iPads, 'Air' is simply a model name.
2018-5-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

James R Posted at 2018-5-8 12:47

Air is just a name for a lighter iPad model.

The option to consider is whether to buy a Cellular version or not. You don't need to have a Cellular network, but those are the iPads that contain the GPS module. This of course will enable the ability for some of the Intelligent flight modes like Follow Me. Also you can change your Dynamic Home Point, if you are on the move while flying, or in a boat, for instance. With a Cellular network, you may broadcast live video from your drone flights, to Facebook, or your personal Youtube channel.
Your flight maps will always be available. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules