Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Batteries in a hot car: what to do?
1654 8 2018-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
brianoflondon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1163743 ft
Israel

It's 26℃ right now, I'm about to go for a 2 hour walk... is it OK to leave Mavic Air and her three batteries in my car. Big dilema. It will probably reach 32℃ before I retrieve them and quite a bit higher in the car.

Hmmmm
2018-5-3
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

32c is no issue at all. Ambient air is hotter than that in most parts of the world.
Don't leave them in direct sunlight or anything though but really, 32c is nothing.  My house room where im typing this post is 2c warmer and my batteries have been in here 7 months.
2018-5-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... lines%20v1.0-EU.pdf

The battery should be used in temperatures from -10°C to 40°C.
Use of the battery in environments above 50°C can lead to a fire or explosion.
Use of battery below -10°C can lead to permanent damage

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... idelines%20v1.0.pdf

Store  the  Intelligent  Flight  Battery  and  remote  control  device  in  a  cool,  dry  place  away  from direct  sunlight  to  ensure  the  built-in  LiPo  battery  does  NOT  overheat.  
Recommended storage temperature: between  71°  and  82°  F  (22°  and  28°  C)  for  storage  periods  of  more  than  three  months.
Never store in environments outside the temperature range of 32° to 113° F (0° to 45° C)
2018-5-3
Use props
brianoflondon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1163743 ft
Israel

The question is will the trunk go over 45 ℃ while I'm walking....
2018-5-3
Use props
Silverhammer92
lvl.4
Flight distance : 15869 ft
Switzerland

If you leave them in the car just pull down a window a little bit... Or you can still hide the batteries under the car I guess... watch out if you just drove the car, it might be hot ;)
2018-5-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

brianoflondon Posted at 2018-5-3 21:10

Lot of variables:
outside temperature
time of day (direct sun vs. evening sun)
amount of sun (open sky, clouds, overcast)
color of car / trunk (bright white vs. flat black)

2018-5-3
Use props
rent
Captain
Flight distance : 1773458 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lets see... for two hours, do you have anything to insulate your batteries with? An insulated lunch box would do nicely - no need for ice, just put your batteries in and close it. A thick jacket or large towel would do too - maybe you can chill the batteries with the air conditioning from your car first, then wrap them in the jacket or towel.

But really, for two hours, I wouldn't worry too much.
2018-5-3
Use props
sky6105
First Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

I know when flying a full battery for 20 minutes they get up to 116F that shouldn't be a problem.
2018-5-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The temperature should be no issues in the car. Keeping the batteries from the direct sunlight would be helpful.
2018-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules