Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Max height confusion
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
d2syr
United Kingdom

Hi

I know that the max height i should fly at is 400ft and the Drone helpfully limits this, however, looking at the MMFA website i see there is a CAA excemption for FPV craft with an observer in that htey can go to 1000 ft so long as the observer can still see the drone, ie on a good day

This would be useful for ariel shots ie i own an 18 acre site and stuggle to get it all in a shot

Am i interpreting this correctly?

Thanks
2018-5-4
Use props
BagoDJIoperator84
Captain
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
South Korea

You have to follow the rules of your country aviation department height restrictions for drones, now you can go high but just remember you have limited battery usage. Just be safe and enjoy ur hobby.
2018-5-4
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Learn to shoot panoramas and you can easily shoot 18 acres from much lower than 1000 ft, even less than 400 ft.
2018-5-4
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Yes, you are correct, as long as your observer is standing right next to you and can see the drone while at the same time keeping a look and listen for other aircraft in the area.   At 1000ft it is quite easy to loose the drone while scanning the sky for other aircraft so it may be a bit high depending on how good the observers eyes are. Also remember that it will take 2 full minutes to get back down, so flying that height in an area used by fast jets is not wise and you need to have good visibility for miles around or even a helicopter can get from out of sight/hearing to a collision before you can get down.  If you exceed the 400ft recommendation in the Drone Code then you had better know what you are doing and have reasonable experience if you are to argue in court.

Legally we don't actually have a height limit for Phantoms, it just needs to be sufficiently visible to be able to navigate to avoid collisions, but in the event of an investigation you are much better off if you were following the Drone Code or strictly following the FPV rules.

2018-5-4
Use props
Nigel_ Posted at 2018-5-4 07:20
Yes, you are correct, as long as your observer is standing right next to you and can see the drone while at the same time keeping a look and listen for other aircraft in the area.   At 1000ft it is quite easy to loose the drone while scanning the sky for other aircraft so it may be a bit high depending on how good the observers eyes are. Also remember that it will take 2 full minutes to get back down, so flying that height in an area used by fast jets is not wise and you need to have good visibility for miles around or even a helicopter can get from out of sight/hearing to a collision before you can get down.  If you exceed the 400ft recommendation in the Drone Code then you had better know what you are doing and have reasonable experience if you are to argue in court.

Legally we don't actually have a height limit for Phantoms, it just needs to be sufficiently visible to be able to navigate to avoid collisions, but in the event of an investigation you are much better off if you were following the Drone Code or strictly following the FPV rules.

Thank you very helpful
2018-5-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Panoramas mode is available in P4P now, just have a try.
2018-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules