Gimbal protector reminder
1175 17 2018-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Breezer74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20072 ft

United Kingdom

After getting the Mavic Air, the first few times of use it was touch and go whether I remembered to remove the gimbal protector before turning on.  I know the button is on the bottom rather than on top like the pro so it should be obvious, but I wasn't in the habit 100% of the time.  I saw that many people were attaching tags or ribbons to their protectors on the pro as a reminder, but hoped for a slightly neater design that was less likely to get caught up if carrying the Air in a pocket.
The advantage of the battery button being right beside the gimbal protector gave a simple solution, a small piece of plastic glued to the protector that 90% covered the button on the battery.  Why only 90%?  Well, it's plenty enough to remind me to take off the protector before turning on, but still allows a fingernail to press the button for a quick check on battery charge level.
Hopefully, if I'm not the only one with this occasional forgetfulness, this tip can be of help and/or inspiration to others.

20180502_230158 (Medium).jpg

Standard gimbal protector with extension glued on.

Standard gimbal protector with extension glued on.
2018-5-4
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

Very Nice!
2018-5-4
Use props
brianoflondon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1163743 ft
Israel

Excellent idea!
2018-5-4
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
United States

Very Nice!  From where did you harvest the plastic piece?

I just used some scotch tape to attached a piece of yellow paper on the gimbal guard that covers the power button.  There was another thread about this, I think I posted pics, if so, I'll grab 'em and post 'em here.
2018-5-4
Use props
Breezer74
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Bluehook Posted at 2018-5-4 04:21
Very Nice!  From where did you harvest the plastic piece?

I just used some scotch tape to atach a piece of yellow paper on the gimbal guard that covers the power button.  There was another thread about this, I think I posted pics, if so, I'll grab 'em and post 'em here.

It was an old plastic spatula/scraper.  Easy to trim with scissors, flexible enough not to be fragile, stiff enough to stay in place.  I attached it with a hot glue gun after trimming as I didn't want cyanoacrylate fumes near the lens from superglue or the mess of epoxy.
2018-5-4
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
United States

Breezer74 Posted at 2018-5-4 04:27
It was an old plastic spatula/scraper.  Easy to trim with scissors, flexible enough not to be fragile, stiff enough to stay in place.  I attached it with a hot glue gun after trimming as I didn't want cyanoacrylate fumes near the lens from superglue or the mess of epoxy.

Extra Clever!  

Here's a link to the other thread;
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=139131

and here's the pic of my lowly scotch tape and paper setup:
2018-5-4
Use props
Breezer74
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Bluehook Posted at 2018-5-4 04:30
Extra Clever!  

Here's a link to the other thread;

Hadn't spotted that thread.  Reassuring to see I'm not the only one though.
2018-5-4
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

Awesome idea that would be a great upgrade on the next mavic air version.
2018-5-4
Use props
Breezer74
lvl.4

United Kingdom

sky6105 Posted at 2018-5-4 04:40
Awesome idea that would be a great upgrade on the next mavic air version.

Many thanks.
2018-5-4
Use props
maurom82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143757 ft
Italy

Nice solution! Good job!!!
2018-5-4
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

This a great solution to something that IMO isn't really a problem, whilst you need to remove the cover before you take it off; removing the cover is up there with folding the legs out and antenee
2018-5-4
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61932 ft

South Africa

Ridg Posted at 2018-5-4 06:43
This a great solution to something that IMO isn't really a problem, whilst you need to remove the cover before you take it off; removing the cover is up there with folding the legs out and antenee

Ok so now you tell us that we have to fold out the little white things. I thought mine just had lowered suspension.
2018-5-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Cool idea! Thanks for sharing with us. Hope the engineers will consider this in the future.
2018-5-6
Use props
Fede03
lvl.1
Flight distance : 195738 ft
Italy

Good idea, I have this problem too ... sometimes I forget both the protection and the landing gear.
2018-5-6
Use props
P. Carl Davis
lvl.1
United States

Do you folks think this is why there are so many cases of 'overloaded gimbal motor' errors and hardware failure that are showing up in the threads on the MA? Will it kill the gimbal motor if the cover gets left on accidently?
2018-5-27
Use props
Breezer74
lvl.4

United Kingdom

P. Carl Davis Posted at 2018-5-27 14:53
Do you folks think this is why there are so many cases of 'overloaded gimbal motor' errors and hardware failure that are showing up in the threads on the MA? Will it kill the gimbal motor if the cover gets left on accidently?

I felt there was a possibility, especially as you have to turn the drone on to connect to the computer via USB (a time when you're not having to take the protector off to fly and film) and didn't want to risk it.  A small thing that some say is totally unnecessary (Ridg) but does no harm either.  Better safe than sorry was my thought.
2018-5-28
Use props
Tomcatuk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28743 ft

What a good idea, and be nice to see DJI or somebody manufacture one of these...
2018-5-28
Use props
Breezer74
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Tomcatuk Posted at 2018-5-28 00:38
What a good idea, and be nice to see DJI or somebody manufacture one of these...

Many thanks.  Would be nice if it came as standard wouldn't it.
2018-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules