An idiots Guide to using Litchi after latest DJI update
2845 14 2018-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WeeAirDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 122159 ft
United Kingdom

I updated my Air to the latest version (Last Night).

I purchased Litchi for Waypoints on Wednesday 2nd May 2018

I had no idea what a way point was.

This is coming from someone who did not own a drone or had flown until February 2018

When I bought my Air I was an idiot in charge of an advanced piece of technology.

As an Idiot I had a few scrapes but here is the revelation the DJI Forum has a few thousand good people, so I asked for help at every available opportunity, long story short if an Idiot has a problem and they ask for help then technically they are no longer an idiot (Does that make sense lol)

Anyway I looked at some of the stories of new pilots on the Forum losing drones, turning the Air into a submarine, and some that set their airs out never to return (Moments silence).

I am Scottish and every cent or penny is a prisoner, I cannot bear the thought of losing a very expensive drone because of my stupidity. So every day i set aside at least an hour to study the experts, the geniuses and other idiots like me and I learn what I can from mistakes and from just dumb stuff that make us all laugh and shudder at the same time.

My confidence has grown I have learned about waypoints and there is now no stopping me. I have created missions I have tested one mission succesfully, I have flown the Air from the top of a Scottish mountain, this idiot is on a roll. I am proof that if you study hard and ask questions then you too can be a DJI Mavic Genius
2018-5-4
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Just remember that  #1 mistake pilots do in Litchi way points is setting the altitude wrong.
Always take time to check it again. I use Litchi mostly for POI and Pano.
2018-5-4
Use props
WeeAirDrone
lvl.2
United Kingdom

G_Sig Posted at 2018-5-4 10:12
Just remember that  #1 mistake pilots do in Litchi way points is setting the altitude wrong.
Always take time to check it again. I use Litchi mostly for POI and Pano.

Thanks so true I guess I will be testing altitude in the park for the next couple of weeks. altitude is my number one concern, trees, power lines and all sorts of difficult obstacles can bring the bird down if i am not careful
2018-5-4
Use props
Strobing_NYC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3866470 ft

Does Litchi support waypoints for the Mavic Air now?
I like using it for taking images or motion shots of the same area during different seasons, I also use waypoints to help locate Metal detecting locations
2018-5-4
Use props
WeeAirDrone
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Strobing_NYC Posted at 2018-5-4 11:14
Does Litchi support waypoints for the Mavic Air now?
I like using it for taking images or motion shots of the same area during different seasons, I also use waypoints to help locate Metal detecting locations

Hi Strobing it does and it just happened I totally get your point about seasons. I am aiming to do some footage from the  seasons. Great that once a mission succeeds you can replicate it across seasons. Cheers for posting. The Air is working flawlessly with Litchi. Keep me posted with how you find it
2018-5-4
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Yes agree the altitude is VERY important if using litchi waypoint feature.  Because Litchi does not require you to run the waypoint prior like DJI GO 4 does so that can be bad if you get a single altitude wrong.  It is great though I absolutely love Litchi waypoint and it's active track is much improved over DJI as well.  So if using those two features I always use Litchi but for everything else I still use DJI GO 4.
2018-5-4
Use props
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

Made some waypoints repeatability / Precision test (other Drone - Spark - Other App: Autopilot). But I guess it´s relevant to this discussion.

Blended two consecutive waypoints missions on a single footage. What I fould is that not perfect, the results show a good precision for a consumer grade equipment.

2018-5-4
Use props
WeeAirDrone
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Wow they are so close amazing cheers
2018-5-4
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Adriano Araujo Posted at 2018-5-4 11:49
Made some waypoints repeatability / Precision test (other Drone - Spark - Other App: Autopilot). But I guess it´s relevant to this discussion.

Blended two consecutive waypoints missions on a single footage. What I fould is that not perfect, the results show a good precision for a consumer grade equipment.

Damn, Thats some good Tequila !!
2018-5-4
Use props
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-4 11:59
Damn, Thats some good Tequila !!

LOL - Seems!!! =) | Maybe after some shots the blended footage will match perfectly. ;-)
2018-5-4
Use props
CynicalZombie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 179813 ft

Here's 2 little pieces of info I'd like to share about using Litchi missions.  Both are useful to keep in mind when you are creating a mission on Litchi to fly in an area you are not familiar with...

1: Lets say you have a mission set at 200 feet.  Before you actually start the mission, put up the drone and look all around to see if you really are high enough.  Keeping that in mind saved me from a crash on a mission I flew where I knew the structure I was 150 feet but I didn't take into account the 75 foot hill it was on.  I looked around, it was immediately apparently I was too low, I bumped up all waypoints to 275 ft and flew it without issue.

2:  Don't rely on google satellite view as a 100% reliable source of where things actually are.  The satellite imagery from google varies tremendously on the dates the images were taken.  Last fall I put the drone up and clearly saw a disparity where the satellite imagery showed no building, yet there was one right in front of me.  If you are high enough it won't matter but just keep in mind that just because Google maps shows something, it may not be completely up to date with reality.

Thankfully other peoples mistakes help to burn that into my brain.  
2018-5-4
Use props
WeeAirDrone
lvl.2
United Kingdom

CynicalZombie Posted at 2018-5-4 13:38
Here's 2 little pieces of info I'd like to share about using Litchi missions.  Both are useful to keep in mind when you are creating a mission on Litchi to fly in an area you are not familiar with...

1: Lets say you have a mission set at 200 feet.  Before you actually start the mission, put up the drone and look all around to see if you really are high enough.  Keeping that in mind saved me from a crash on a mission I flew where I knew the structure I was 150 feet but I didn't take into account the 75 foot hill it was on.  I looked around, it was immediately apparently I was too low, I bumped up all waypoints to 275 ft and flew it without issue.

Thanks a few brilliant pointers to consider before using Litchi. I will take your advice with me and use it as my first tests on any mission. Thanks buddy.
2018-5-4
Use props
PedalingDuo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31896 ft
United States

Adriano Araujo Posted at 2018-5-4 11:49

Blended two consecutive waypoints missions on a single footage. What I fould is that not perfect, the results show a good precision for a consumer grade equipment.

Thanks for the interesting comparison.

If you calculate the distances and take into account the breeze acting on a light drone, I would say that the angular resolution is great.

Good post.
2018-5-5
Use props
PedalingDuo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31896 ft
United States

CynicalZombie Posted at 2018-5-4 13:38
Here's 2 little pieces of info I'd like to share about using Litchi missions.  Both are useful to keep in mind when you are creating a mission on Litchi to fly in an area you are not familiar with...

1: Lets say you have a mission set at 200 feet.  Before you actually start the mission, put up the drone and look all around to see if you really are high enough.  Keeping that in mind saved me from a crash on a mission I flew where I knew the structure I was 150 feet but I didn't take into account the 75 foot hill it was on.  I looked around, it was immediately apparently I was too low, I bumped up all waypoints to 275 ft and flew it without issue.

Good advice about taking a look around first.
2018-5-5
Use props
Zigenbock
lvl.3
Flight distance : 189341 ft
United States

Another thing I have found out, is to make sure that waypoint 1 is also the home location. It seems to be that the altitudes that you set in the waypoints are set from this location.
2018-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules