Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
UK drone flyers....
12Next >
50490 41 2018-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NedUK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 555262 ft
United Kingdom

How many of you here have done the course and got the CAA ticket..

How many of you are “bending the rules” when it comes to flying in public areas like beaches etc?

I myself have been know to and after posting a couple of videos on social media received lots of amazing feedback but then always find there is one or 2 that wants to quote the law to me and how I breaking it..

Just looking for honest opinions.
2018-5-4
Use props
DPJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21686 ft
United Kingdom

I wasn't even aware there was a course Nobody has moaned at me yet, guess that's a benefit of living in Devon, no one cares as long as you stay away from them.
2018-5-4
Use props
Ram-UK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132648 ft
United Kingdom

I don’t fly around properties, people or anywhere near busy areas.
I find a park or an open area where no one or  less people and wait until it’s safe to fly (clear of people at least within 30m radius).
Always keep my drone with in VLOS.
If I see too many people around (specially children) abort the operation and leave the place.
So far a few people have approached me to ask me about the drone and they were very impressed.

Hope it continue without any problem.
2018-5-4
Use props
NedUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Same here usually anyone that stops to ask is very positive and impressed.

Also line of sight and if out of line of sight due to distance it’s over water so if lost would only be me to lose..

Guess it’s just some people
2018-5-4
Use props
Breezer74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20072 ft

United Kingdom

Same here.  Being 100% honest it's probably following spirit of the law rather than letter of the law.  I comply with all I can, but It's not always easy to fly further than 50m from anyone not under your control.  E.g. the person who walks over to talk to you about drones.  I keep within altitude limits, don't approach NFZs, keep VLOS and, as much as possible, stay away from other people, but definitely away from crowds and other peoples property without consent.  As with a normal camera, if you respect others you will generally be fine.  The only times I've been approached so far it's by people who've been interested, so I'm friendly and haven't had a single issue.
2018-5-4
Use props
Nixtoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United Kingdom

I try to follow the drone code they published, what’s the caa ticket?
2018-5-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I tend to work with the CAA drone code guidelines as much as possible. Flying over beaches is not a breach of the drone code so long as the drone is more than 50m away from people and buildings. BTW - the drone code is not a legal directive passed through parliament into British law. For that you will need to look at the air navigation order which actually states that UAV's may be flown up to 1,000' AGL providing manned aircraft are not placed at risk. The 400' rule set in the drone code is a guideline to help prevent the criminal offence of placing manned aircraft at risk. I always fly under 400' to be safe but that's a fact. Anyone who tells you that flying over a beach in the UK is illegal does not know anything about aviation law and their case would be thrown out before even reaching a court room - unless the beach is private property or a local authority has banned drones on that public beach as part of a written by-law. And all beaches controlled by the crown estate permit drones (even the Queen likes them)!
2018-5-4
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I have done the course and have my PfCO. Frankly with the amount it cost to get that piece of paper you will not find me breaking any of the rules deliberately. I fly on the beach as it is only a few hundred yards from my home, but most often almost deserted, possibly because it is all grass. As with others all the enquiries I have had are from interested people and have always been friendly. Horsey folk can be a problem but working with them everyone is happy.
Following on from A CW thoughts the beach can be private property and public land near us, and there is no definitive map to show which is which. I use the simple route of knowing that anything up to the high tide mark is the property of the Queen and thus available to the public. Really useful as our high tide mark is very high indeed, often covering the road.
2018-5-5
Use props
Jeetley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123944 ft
United Kingdom

not me...i think quite a few people break the rules (not intentionally) when they first start with a drone. through naivety mostly then as they progress and gain knowledge and experience the more responsible they become.
just my opinion
2018-5-5
Use props
NedUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I like that, follow the spirit of the law...

I also avoid no fly zones, I was in Portland yesterday and about to fly to watch an open day that was being held lots of sailing and paddle sports going on but realised I was stood right next to a coast guard helicopter pad...

2018-5-5
Use props
ChrisJG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not completed the CAA course, but thinking about doing so over the Summer Holidays - suspect that amateur drone flyers will have to take some form of test once the UK government has time on it's hands, so will see.  Have followed the drone code so far, with the exception of accidentally going to 153 metres  high...I thought that the app would limit my height, so spent 5 minutes squinting to keep my Spark in sight, and was shocked to see the height that it had flown to!
2018-5-6
Use props
Sunstone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 960732 ft
United Kingdom

Yeah, still a relative newbie myself having got my first drone in October but I may have had a go at bending those rules.

I keep out the way of people and built up areas, but the LOS and altitude rule had to be bent, as a newbie it has to be done just from sheer curiosity, however my Go4 app is now set to 400ft (120m) limit and after scratching that itch, its more about perfecting my flying skills within the confounds of the law.
2018-12-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sunstone Posted at 12-5 10:32
Yeah, still a relative newbie myself having got my first drone in October but I may have had a go at bending those rules.

I keep out the way of people and built up areas, but the LOS and altitude rule had to be bent, as a newbie it has to be done just from sheer curiosity, however my Go4 app is now set to 400ft (120m) limit and after scratching that itch, its more about perfecting my flying skills within the confounds of the law.

The 400' rule was passed into law earlier this year so what I stated in my earlier post on this thread was correct at the time of writing. If you fly a drone higher than 400' AGL now and are caught you may very well be prosecuted and face an UNLIMITED fine or even a custodial sentence as it is now very much a criminal offence...
2018-12-7
Use props
o_laparoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 753340 ft
Portugal

Not sure what kind of comments you received, but I also get those from time to time on my videos.

I do try to follow the rules and request authorization to fly all the time, but sometimes it's a spur of the moment thing and if there is no one around and not a NFZ, I'll take off for a quick photo and/or video.

When I get those comments I tend to think that they come from people who want other to follow the rules as they do so that the regulations do not get any tighter. I think they mean well with their comments, but sometimes do not express it in the best way.
2018-12-11
Use props
fansb0c90eab
New
Flight distance : 1401 ft
United Kingdom

With the new Drone Registration that has been introduced. I was wondering what could stop someone from copying the sticker information (OP  I.D.), from a registered pilots drone  - meaning that they could fly under someone else's registration information. Then if they are involved in an incident  the authorities would contact the registration op I.d. that's attached to the retrieved drone ?. Just a thought ?.
2019-11-6
Use props
ChrisJG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you are talking about the recreational fliers ticket, yes yesterday. There's one beach that I visited late one afternoon, hardly anyone around, and got some great footage, but on Facebook got rebuked by someone, who I suspect works for the Earl of Leicester who owns the beach at Wells-next-the-Sea...
2019-11-6
Use props
mkn8382
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50190 ft

United Kingdom

Got my certificate and license done already
2019-11-18
Use props
mattj47
lvl.1

United Kingdom

i fly mostly in my club field or middle of no where,
i have done site surveys for a friend free of charge where i am between buildings.
theres no point doing any course apart from dmares as there doesnt exist a drone that has the CE requirements and manufacturers dont have to comply untill 2023.
i also wonder with the lack of police how the rules will be enforced.
i fly safe,within line of site and stay well away from any airports or sensitive areas.
the people who have asked have been friendly and i make sure im polite and answer any questions, the fact im in hard hat and high vis also tends to add confidence in passersby.
i just think be safe and not fly like an idiot as ive seen on youtube vids and people respect and even show interest.
2020-1-27
Use props
oxid8ter
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20935 ft
United Kingdom

I did the CAA flyer and operator online. Only cost £9 for both - no need to do the PfCO unless you intend to fly for business.

I do wonder how many people that comment on videos quoting the law are trying to be helpful, and how many are doing it out of jealousy...
2020-1-30
Use props
djiuser_2OSHaByDSurR
New
Flight distance : 19918 ft

United Kingdom

Hi there hope someone can help me I have just gone a bought myself a maverick air second hand but it had only been flow for 1hour on the flight record got it home and when to charge it all up and plugged the controller in and it didn't seem to click in but it charged OK had to got out so unplugged it tried  next day couldn't get it to click in again now its broken won't connect to the phone or charger and I can't buy a button board for the mavic air anywhere just mavic pro please can someone help me
2020-5-30
Use props
malgpz900
lvl.1

United Kingdom

djiuser_2OSHaByDSurR Posted at 5-30 07:25
Hi there hope someone can help me I have just gone a bought myself a maverick air second hand but it had only been flow for 1hour on the flight record got it home and when to charge it all up and plugged the controller in and it didn't seem to click in but it charged OK had to got out so unplugged it tried  next day couldn't get it to click in again now its broken won't connect to the phone or charger and I can't buy a button board for the mavic air anywhere just mavic pro please can someone help me

Would you not be better off starting a new thread. This one is about licencing. People who have already read the posts may not realise your new post is looking for help.
2020-6-7
Use props
fans7330f475
New
Flight distance : 5673 ft
United Kingdom

hi how can i turn the mic off on the smart controller please
2020-9-29
Use props
bodie37
New

United Kingdom

yeah ive got caa ticket  and have just bought a mini 2 that can go places the the phantom 3 cant expensive though
2021-1-10
Use props
djiuser_qepynYdxFQIl
New
United Kingdom

Flying with mavic zoom and fpv goggles. I can only get tap fly and active track on flight modes, any idea how to bring up the others, terrain following, tripod etc?
2021-1-23
Use props
djiuser_j7QFY5RzC8TF
New

United Kingdom

bodie37 Posted at 1-10 02:18
yeah ive got caa ticket  and have just bought a mini 2 that can go places the the phantom 3 cant expensive though

I bought mavic mini 2 .. BEWARE!!    the upgraded software /firmware  makes it unusable for me !   Im on the island of Anglesey .. and  the new update to the app on my samsung note 10  and then  the aircraft firmware  have now totally disabled my intended  use of this fantastic piece of kit!  after initial unbox it did  everything I wanted ,,   ME in control!!!  Ive tried to roll back this Chinese dictatorship block to no avail!   yep , after reading other forums ...it transpires it included an anti roll back feature so new buyers/owners could not after finding out this outragoues  unfair removal of control..    simply roll back that update and re gain control over YOUR  product   YOU  OWN and are responsible for ???   so basically    the  entire product that is actually a perfect  really awesome drone and app  is  now since jANUARY 2021  made useless by locking out the owner???    what a load of bollocks ...  im now selling mine flown prob 2 hrs total    3  batteries   64 gig card    and with regret because its camera gimbal functions , not to mention  the  stutter free range are spot on....    to   PREVENT me actually taking off after registering it...   registering ME!    then me  PAY to pass an online test .....    it now is locked even in my house to   (restricted zone)    fuck that,,,,   im in charge of it!   I  bought it !  I own it! I paid to register it! paid to insure it ! paid to pass the test to fly it! paid to register as a pilot!     so  >    how dare   software tell me I cant fly it?   even in MY own house ???   on my LAND!!     beware     BUY ONE THATS not DISABLED AND CONTROLLED BY THE SOFTWARE !!!!!   

2021-2-9
Use props
djiuser_j7QFY5RzC8TF
New

United Kingdom

I bought mavic mini 2 .. BEWARE!!    the upgraded software /firmware  makes it unusable for me !   Im on the island of Anglesey .. and  the new update to the app on my samsung note 10  and then  the aircraft firmware  have now totally disabled my intended  use of this fantastic piece of kit!  after initial unbox it did  everything I wanted ,,   ME in control!!!  Ive tried to roll back this Chinese dictatorship block to no avail!   yep , after reading other forums ...it transpires it included an anti roll back feature so new buyers/owners could not after finding out this outragoues  unfair removal of control..    simply roll back that update and re gain control over YOUR  product   YOU  OWN and are responsible for ???   so basically    the  entire product that is actually a perfect  really awesome drone and app  is  now since jANUARY 2021  made useless by locking out the owner???    what a load of bollocks ...  im now selling mine flown prob 2 hrs total    3  batteries   64 gig card    and with regret because its camera gimbal functions , not to mention  the  stutter free range are spot on....    to   PREVENT me actually taking off after registering it...   registering ME!    then me  PAY to pass an online test .....    it now is locked even in my house to   (restricted zone)    fuck that,,,,   im in charge of it!   I  bought it !  I own it! I paid to register it! paid to insure it ! paid to pass the test to fly it! paid to register as a pilot!     so  >    how dare   software tell me I cant fly it?   even in MY own house ???   on my LAND!!     beware     BUY ONE THATS not DISABLED AND CONTROLLED BY THE SOFTWARE !!!!!   
2021-2-9
Use props
djiuser_j7QFY5RzC8TF
New

United Kingdom

mkn8382 Posted at 2019-11-18 05:14
Got my certificate and license done already

2021-2-9
Use props
deepanshus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 78891 ft
United Kingdom

this is interesting as i recently started flying the drone, what rules in particular did they mention were broken?
2021-3-22
Use props
deepanshus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 78891 ft
United Kingdom

fansb0c90eab Posted at 2019-11-6 05:48
With the new Drone Registration that has been introduced. I was wondering what could stop someone from copying the sticker information (OP  I.D.), from a registered pilots drone  - meaning that they could fly under someone else's registration information. Then if they are involved in an incident  the authorities would contact the registration op I.d. that's attached to the retrieved drone ?. Just a thought ?.

i believe, just like your car registration, if you can prove that the drone you own has not been flying in the same area, and you can share your flight records then you should be fine. One of the main reason we blurr the license plates in personal car pics , same logic, do not share your OP ID in public !!
2021-3-22
Use props
djiuser_2Sy8VlSXndnP
New

United Kingdom

Hi I hope someone can help. I bought a phantom 3 standard drone, when I fire it up all seams to operate ok, but two landing lights don’t come on. The other two work the way they should. I’ve not test flown it yet as I’m not sure if this will cause any problems with these landing lights not working.
2021-12-17
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_2Sy8VlSXndnP Posted at 12-17 19:30
Hi I hope someone can help. I bought a phantom 3 standard drone, when I fire it up all seams to operate ok, but two landing lights don’t come on. The other two work the way they should. I’ve not test flown it yet as I’m not sure if this will cause any problems with these landing lights not working.

The first thing you should do is update all the software and firmware for the drone. And have a good read of the manual
2021-12-18
Use props
DH88 Comet
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Registered, did the course, passed , labelled my drone as required, renewed a year later fat lot of good it's done me as my drone seems to be toast after the latest firmware update. Oh, and I never 'bent' the rules.
2022-2-16
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
United States

DPJ Posted at 2018-5-4 13:03
I wasn't even aware there was a course  Nobody has moaned at me yet, guess that's a benefit of living in Devon, no one cares as long as you stay away from them.

2022-2-17
Use props
carefree1969
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ram-UK Posted at 2018-5-4 13:08
I don’t fly around properties, people or anywhere near busy areas.
I find a park or an open area where no one or  less people and wait until it’s safe to fly (clear of people at least within 30m radius).
Always keep my drone with in VLOS.

“Abort the operation”??  Ffs
2022-3-13
Use props
djiuser_vkPh7F8RmiH7
New
Flight distance : 19364 ft
United Kingdom

Can anyone help me here getting this message only JPEG imagines and H.264 videos are downloadable when I am trying to download footage from dji fly app to my tripltek pro 8 thanks
2022-6-20
Use props
djiuser_TxuCrnemBUAq
New

United Kingdom

Hi can anybody tell me what size SD card I need for my Dji mini se
Thank you JJ
2022-8-7
Use props
BrianLittlewood
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I have. Not difficult, quick and easy with constant access to the rules written down so you can find the answer in question. A very effective way to teach. And once you find the answer to the question, it sticks! Guesswork is no good when your flying (I speak as a real-life helicopterpilot). And if you get it wrong the CAA will land on you heavily.
2022-8-19
Use props
djiuser_WEbx8ViBmTmr
New
United Kingdom

I have a GVC license and use UAV Pilot Pal to ensure I comply with CAA regulations.
2023-1-2
Use props
djiuser_thpoEYacH8tf
New

United Kingdom

I purchased the DJI se 2 days ago.. the drone charged fine.
My problem is I have charged the remote for over a day.. 2 flashing lights stay on.. when I disconnect and press the power button the controller does not turn on? Is this a faulty controller?
2023-1-19
Use props
BrianMD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15856 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Ned, I am fairly new to the world of flying drones and even though this will only ever be a hobby for me, okay, my wife says serious hobby, I have stuck to the rules. I don't have any qualifications and my drone is the DJI Mini 3 Pro so it is under the 250G threshold. I do intend to get some sort of qualification though and I know there is an online test so I am going to complete that before I consider anything else. What about you? Are you going to get some qualification?
2023-5-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules