Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
POLL: How Do You Take Off/Land Your Mavic Pro or Air
9153 79 2018-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyingFish82
Captain
Flight distance : 3662503 ft
  • >>>
United States

i use a landing pad most of the time when/if possible. its a good point of reference from the air to bring it back. but i had launch/land when i cant use the Landing Pad.
2018-5-8
Use props
Optimus Prime-Mavic Air
Captain
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

I have mavic air and always from my hand. I did not tilt but gently land with stick all down.
2018-5-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-5-8 02:58
You could get a buddy to 3D Print you something to attach it to your belt ?

I just hand launch/catch now. The foot print of the MA is so small that it's easy.
2018-5-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Optimus Prime-Mavic Air Posted at 2018-5-8 05:12
I have mavic air and always from my hand. I did not tilt but gently land with stick all down.

I did this yesterday after turning off landing protection within the app. Very easy to do. I left the pad at home and will be selling it with my MPP.
2018-5-8
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Depends on where I am, I place my bird on the ground but keep my landing pad in the car.  When hiking I just hook it to my backpack just in case I need it. I must say in 6 or 7 months II think I've used the landing pad twice. Because I was flying at the beach.
2018-5-8
Use props
alex_markov
Captain
Flight distance : 38850850 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

My answer is missing from the poll - I start from the ground in 99% (today was a rear exception with No single flat surface around, so I hand start )And 99.9999999% hand land (I can't remember when for the last time I land elsewhere, two weeks back in forced landing situation I was thinking to land on the road but my dog was trying to go exactly underneath and I hand catch it o the fly )
2018-5-9
Use props
Bluehook
First Officer
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

MA:

Takeoff - If I'm home, a large piece of heavy cardboard -- if remote, any clean, firm surface without obstruction, loose sand, dirt or debris.  I use the auto takeoff almost every time.

Landing - the exact same place I took-off from.  I always bring it in and land manually.

I have never done a hand lauch or land, ever.  But I want to...

I'm still kinda new to this, what is "landing gear?"
2018-5-9
Use props
sky6105
First Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft

I just use the Floor mats of the car. I use to use a pad but the mats are always with me.
2018-5-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bluehook Posted at 2018-5-9 12:06
MA:

Takeoff - If I'm home, a large piece of heavy cardboard -- if remote, any clean, firm surface without obstruction, loose sand, dirt or debris.  I use the auto takeoff almost every time.

Extensions to the frame of the drone to increase clearance. Polar Pro and PGYTech currently make landing gear extensions for the MA. Lots of vids on them being tested on YT. Note that DJI do not sell them for any of their drones via their on line store and they may invalidate your warranty if you crash as an officially untested third party accessory placed on the drone during flight. Quite a few use them but clearly not as much as other methods. Hand launch/land is very easy with the MA due to it's size. Ensure to turn off landing protection in the app if you intend to do it and preferably in light winds.
2018-5-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

alex_markov Posted at 2018-5-9 11:51
My answer is missing from the poll - I start from the ground in 99% (today was a rear exception with No single flat surface around, so I hand start  )And 99.9999999% hand land (I can't remember when for the last time I land elsewhere, two weeks back in forced landing  situation I was thinking to land on the road but my dog was trying to go exactly underneath and I hand catch it o the fly )

Then hand launch/land seems to be your preference.
2018-5-9
Use props
aesculus2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 69245 ft
United States

I have a landing pad but have never deployed it. Mostly take off on pavement or very light firm gravel.
2018-5-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

aesculus2 Posted at 2018-5-9 13:42
I have a landing pad but have never deployed it. Mostly take off on pavement or very light firm gravel.

I think a lot of people like the idea of a landing pad for the protection it gives (I own one) but in reality hardly use it as too annoying to carry around and also gives away your position to passers-by - so most appear to just find as flat an area as possible &/or take the minor risk of hand launch/land. Nailing down a landing pad can take as long as getting the drone in the air!
2018-5-9
Use props
ColoradoBob
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1601690 ft
United States

95% Landing Pad painted white and black... Helps with the color in post and 5% from the top of a picnic table. Mavic Pro... It also keeps the dust sucked into the motors down to a minimum.
2018-6-9
Use props
Just another drone guy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 875499 ft
Canada

even though I voted "just putting my drone on the ground as is"I would really like to get a landing pad. since if I go to a park it'll be harder for the props to spin since it's so low to the ground. also, it seems that the concrete is wrecking my rear landing gear on my Mavic Pro. I wish that DJI would have put some padding on it because the plastic is unfortunately exposed.
2018-6-9
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

landing pad is a nuisance to me also so i stopped using the pad early in. Then used the landing gear for many months. For about the past 6 months i have removed the landing gear also. Mostly i will find somewhere sufficiently flat to land or take off from otherwise i do a hand land/grab.
2018-6-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-6-10 11:28
landing pad is a nuisance to me also so i stopped using the pad early in. Then used the landing gear for many months. For about the past 6 months i have removed the landing gear also. Mostly i will find somewhere sufficiently flat to land or take off from otherwise i do a hand land/grab.

Sounds very familiar mate as that's what I do now
2018-6-10
Use props
Paul_IA
Captain
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Landing pad (always). Avoids dust/debris being kicked up and provides a safety margin to land on should RTH be a few inches off.
2019-4-8
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Paul_IA Posted at 4-8 06:20
Landing pad (always). Avoids dust/debris being kicked up and provides a safety margin to land on should RTH be a few inches off.

Yeah, I bought a Hoodman 3' and works a treat (for my Inspire)
2019-4-8
Use props
Celsus
Captain
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

Breezer74 Posted at 2018-5-5 04:25
It depends on where I am.  I don't carry a pad so, unless there is a clean level surface, I tend to hand launch and land.  I find this gives me more freedom of where I fly and a quicker deployment.

I find that works for me, there are no hard and fast rules as far as I'm concerned.
2019-4-12
Use props
*DM*
First Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Paul_IA Posted at 4-8 06:20

Agree ....
2019-4-12
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I bought a cheap welcome mat from Walmart, works like a champ! It's heavy enough the wind won't blow it away and the writing gives precision landing something to lock onto.
2019-5-6
Use props
TakeFlite
First Officer
Flight distance : 780233 ft
Australia

I always launch from the ground or if uneven from something flat that I might happen to have with me, I usually know where I'll take off and land from though so it is planned. Don't think I've ever used RTH though always manually land so doesn't lend a problem whatsoever.
2019-5-6
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FatherXmas Posted at 5-6 17:48
I bought a cheap welcome mat from Walmart, works like a champ! It's heavy enough the wind won't blow it away and the writing gives precision landing something to lock onto.

Cheap and effective mate - can't go wrong with that
2019-5-6
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TakeFlite Posted at 5-6 20:01
I always launch from the ground or if uneven from something flat that I might happen to have with me, I usually know where I'll take off and land from though so it is planned. Don't think I've ever used RTH though always manually land so doesn't lend a problem whatsoever.

Thanks for sharing
2019-5-6
Use props
Aussierob78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 740476 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I've voted #5, but really it depends on the environment
2019-5-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Usually just from the ground
2019-5-16
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 5-16 22:00
Usually just from the ground

Same here - especially with larger drones
2019-5-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 5-17 00:40
Same here - especially with larger drones

I do pay attention to the type of ground of course, but my landing pad is still zipped in its bag.....
2019-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 5-17 01:33
I do pay attention to the type of ground of course, but my landing pad is still zipped in its bag.....

Landing pads are for when it rains, you put them on your head lol .
2019-5-17
Use props
miketmtpro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

Collapsible crates work great. Travel easy too. Home Depot had some 2 for 10 bucks. 16" sq x 23" h. Closeout
2019-5-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 5-17 01:52
Landing pads are for when it rains, you put them on your head lol .

Hahahahahahaha.
Yeah probably!
2019-5-17
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 5-17 01:33

I've never used it with the M2P - I should really but I have a 3' Hoodman which is as heavy as the drone bag - detracts from the portability
2019-5-17
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 5-17 01:52
Landing pads are for when it rains, you put them on your head lol .

Very true lol - there is always a bit of flat land for take off and hand catching is very easy with the VPS turned off.
2019-5-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 5-17 02:50
I've never used it with the M2P - I should really but I have a 3' Hoodman which is as heavy as the drone bag - detracts from the portability

That is my point too...
I usually want to deploy quickly.
Not worry about too many things, do my checks and take off.
So that is why most of the accessories are still lying at home....
2019-5-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 5-17 02:50

That is my point too...
I usually want to deploy quickly.
Not worry about too many things, do my checks and take off.
So that is why most of the accessories are still lying at home....
2019-5-17
Use props
Corvus monedula
First Officer
Flight distance : 3550594 ft
Poland

Usually (and preferably) from hard and flat ground (pavement, compacted grassless dirt, etc.). If not possible/feasible then I use landing pad.
Sometimes from some odd surface like a table, wall or tree stump.
2019-5-17
Use props
christangey
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

I can see that more than 10% launch and land by hand. I'd imagine there will be a whole heap of people, when they get older, ordering 5 beers for their friends with their 2 available fingers
2019-10-24
Use props
O Ynot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 220079 ft
United Kingdom

Landing pad
2020-5-31
Use props
Northwood
Captain
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Pad launch, hand land.
2020-6-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I can't believe this poll that I put up over two years ago is still going!
2020-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules