Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
POLL - Compass Calibration (Avoiding Fly Aways)
6044 90 2018-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Northwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Bright Spark Posted at 2018-5-6 09:38
So very simple. Check the sensors before you fly.

Thats what I do.  I travel alot in the province, roughly 1100kn a week.  So if I choose to fly somewhere new, or even back home, I check IMU and Compass before going up.  Hovering and checking the direction vs the pointer also.

Only takes about 30 seconds.
2018-6-29
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37156 ft

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-29 08:41
Hi,

I would calibrate after changing location by several hundred kilometres due to changing magnetic declination.

I just love how consistent DJI is on this subject

Thanks for the detailed reading, I will be trevelling a few hundred kilometers to the lower Alps so I will need to be careful.

Cheers,
2018-6-29
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37156 ft

Oh and this might sound dumb but how would I know that the compass in my Spark is showing "north" correctly?

I know the app shows you were north is but as far as I know that is based on the phone compass (if there is a compass - mine has none).

Normally I check the drone heading comparing the map features to real life observations (streets parallel and perpendicular, etc.), and I also kbow where north is. It works well in my neighbourhood but not in a place that is remote or unfamiliar to me...

Cheers,
2018-6-29
Use props
AlexVideoShark 5
Captain
Flight distance : 4522884 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I do compass calibration when request by software dji go4 or after a long travel ( more than 100km) .
but this don’t mean that I don’t check everything before any flight.
I add , like a Tip my pdf here ...
Link to post with pdf file
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D538%26typeid%3D538

where there are described way and when I think is better do .
but surely, always flying VLOS , good planning before each flight and also pre and post flight checks list .
thanks for this interesting post buddy:-)
2018-6-29
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

I don’t do compass calibration even if the DJI Go app prompts unless I am in a interference free area. If I get a compass error I moved to another place and check it again.
Never had any problem so far, never had yaw errors, I check now and then the log file.
I still use android 4.1.15 with OTG cable
2018-6-29
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Only when prompted by the app
2018-6-30
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
lvl.4

Hungary

Jos A Posted at 2018-6-29 23:41
I don’t do compass calibration even if the DJI Go app prompts unless I am in a interference free area. If I get a compass error I moved to another place and check it again.
Never had any problem so far, never had yaw errors, I check now and then the log file.
I still use android 4.1.15 with OTG cable

This is absolutely logical! I agree.

If there is an error, then there is interference and it is by no means correct to calibrate it.

It is right to take off from elsewhere. The compass will not stop unless it is used for a long time and the magnetic field difference varies only after a long distance of> 50Km.

That is why I think it is more dangerous to have constant re-calibration and blindness than non-calibration and continuous monitoring.
2018-6-30
Use props
Nidge
lvl.4

I’ve built a fair few craft with various GPS enabled flight controllers from different manufacturers and I always stick to the same routine when calibrating the onboard compass.

The tools I use are a regular Silva Compass to ensure that the area I’m in produces a true magnetic North reading. I also use a Gauss Meter to check that the magnetic field strength is in the range of approximately 45uT to 55uT which is the natural magnetic field strength of the Earth at ground level. The Gaus Meter is also useful in identifying if anything in the immediate area may cause cyclic variations in the field strength. There are many Gaus Meter APPs available in both the GP Store and iOS Store, though they’ll only work if your smart device has a magnetometer so Samsung J5 owners are unfortunately out of luck.

As for when should you calibrate the Compass?
If promomted by the Go4 App don’t take it as fact that a calibration is mandatory. Look at the environment you are intending to fly in and see if there’s anything close by that could be a cause of interference. Changing location by just a short distance may clear the warning message and negate the need to calibrate. Calibrating in an unsuitable environment may lead to the final flight.

Where do you keep your Spark when it’s not in use? In my living room I have a number of large speaker cabinets where the magnetic field strength is strong enough to throw a conventional compass off if within 10ft. Therefore I don’t keep any of my robotic minions in the living room for any extended period of time. Even the steel heating radiators at either end have an effect.

I’ve had my Spark since November last and so far I’ve only received the prompt to calibrate my Compass once, probably because I didn’t follow my own advise and keep the Spark away from my Speaker Cabs. I’ve owned a Phantom 1 since 2012 and I’ve only calibrated the compass on that once which was prior to its maiden flight. I would say this is also true for the APM and Pixhawk craft I also own.

Nidge
2018-6-30
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Nidge Posted at 2018-6-30 02:28
I’ve built a fair few craft with various GPS enabled flight controllers from different manufacturers and I always stick to the same routine when calibrating the onboard compass.

The tools I use are a regular Silva Compass to ensure that the area I’m in produces a true magnetic North reading. I also use a Gauss Meter to check that the magnetic field strength is in the range of approximately 45uT to 55uT which is the natural magnetic field strength of the Earth at ground level. The Gaus Meter is also useful in identifying if anything in the immediate area may cause cyclic variations in the field strength. There are many Gaus Meter APPs available in both the GP Store and iOS Store, though they’ll only work if your smart device has a magnetometer so Samsung J5 owners are unfortunately out of luck.

Thank you Nidge very useful information. I am carrying a Suunto Compass too nowadays that clips on my Lowepro Backpack.

Here in Malta the Magnetic Declination is only 3 Degrees and Malta is a Very Small Island under 27km.

Thank you so much for the Help !

2018-6-30
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft

I never did a compass calibration, never had to.
2018-9-18
Use props
Hani
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

I always try to avoid any metal objects and calibrate when prompted.
2018-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules