1571 30 2018-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UAVTom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

Forum fam.  Just got my Phantom in the mail 1 hour ago.  Did all the standard configs, Firmware update and all working well on inital flight.  On second flight Phantom powered down at about 80 feet and crashed, totally destroy! (*&^%$#$!!!!)  I have yet to activate my DJI care, but it's still under 1 year warranty.  What are my options?

By the way, I am not a newbie to DJI drones, Currently own I2 and Mavics, first Phantom 4 though.   

2018-5-5
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Can you upload the flight log and post a link to it here please.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/Upload/
Without the log there is no way of telling what happened
2018-5-5
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-5-5 16:24

Will do thanks !  Give me a sec
2018-5-5
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

If the log shows it to be a malfunction with the drone then you should be covered by warranty.
Either way you will need to send the drone back to dji for repair
2018-5-5
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Just uploaded ..  
2018-5-5
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

UAVTom Posted at 2018-5-5 16:25
Will do thanks !  Give me a sec

Sorry uploaded a log from two days ago.  Just uploaded the log from today.  It was the second flight as I described in the post.
2018-5-5
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I can see the last entry in the log shows the Phantom @

8m 35.2s        Sport        21satellites        143.7ft        N/A        22.5mph        169.6ft        60%        14.989V        3.746V        3.755V        3.752V        3.736V        0.019V

This is the point at which it simply powered down and fell.   
2018-5-5
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Can you post a link to the flight log here please
2018-5-5
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-5-5 17:03
Can you post a link to the flight log here please

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/BOAP7HIB6Z4F6631RWRT/
2018-5-5
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Ok not sure whats happened but im sure once our flight log gurus have a look they may come up with some answers.
Im curious as to why the log has started at 3.5 minutes tho and why the battery hardly lost any power while flying in sports mode.
I recommend waiting till one of the other guys looks at the log file
2018-5-5
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

How tall were those trees where it fell?
2018-5-5
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-5-5 17:18
How tall were those trees where it fell?

Thanks.  The trees are about 100 - 120 ft.  Did not fall by the tree though.   Loss power and crashed on the way back just over the house adjacent to the tree line.
2018-5-5
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the accident. Please kindly contact our support to start a case and send it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support. If the drone is still in warranty period, the local team will arrange data analysis after they received the package. If you encounter any difficulties during the repair progress, feel free to contact us with your case number, we'll be here for help.
2018-5-5
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-5-5 18:08
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the accident. Please kindly contact our support to start a case and send it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support. If the drone is still in warranty period, the local team will arrange data analysis after they received the package. If you encounter any difficulties during the repair progress, feel free to contact us with your case number, we'll be here for help.

Thanks for the feedback Diana   I have already put in a support ticket.    I will keep you posted.
2018-5-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not a betting guy but, last recorded position was at that tree,  in sports mode,  at 22mph,  your guestimate of the max tree height is only 20ft below  your drone height, inexperience of the ac is perhaps whats led to this? a bit like me trying to go under a wee bridge, but hey, this aint about me ;)   Your flight stops at the tree chap
2018-5-5
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-5-5 19:56
Not a betting guy but, last recorded position was at that tree,  in sports mode,  at 22mph,  your guestimate of the max tree height is only 20ft below  your drone height, inexperience of the ac is perhaps whats led to this? a bit like me trying to go under a wee bridge, but hey, this aint about me ;)   Your flight stops at the tree chap

That's the weird part,  I did not go down by the trees.  I was on the way back from that path which was not recorded for some reason.  The drone actually loss power 1/2 back from the trees just over one of the houses.  X in the images is where it crashed.  I have over 250 hours flying DJI drones and have never seen this happen.

X Marks the crash site

X Marks the crash site
2018-5-5
Use props
goldrock
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2303451 ft
  • >>>
Australia

looks to be well above the trees
Screenshot (73).png
2018-5-5
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

goldrock Posted at 2018-5-5 20:39
looks to be well above the trees
[view_image]

It was at least 20 - 30ft above the trees;  This is my neighborhood so I often fly this route during initial flights or after making any firmware updates.  The Phantom actually loss power and crashed some distance away from the location depicted in the logs.   Frustratingly weird.
2018-5-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fair enough, looks like its down to DJI to ascertain the malfunction
2018-5-5
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Just heard back from support.  So far, so good, they are reviewing the logs.  Hope to hear postive info soon.
2018-5-6
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

I just have to ask, If you had flown this this route several other times with other drones, and knew the trees were 100-120 ft high, then why did you set your rth altitude at 98 ft?  I know it wasn't used, but that just seemed strange to me.
2018-5-6
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

UAVTom Posted at 2018-5-5 20:50
It was at least 20 - 30ft above the trees;  This is my neighborhood so I often fly this route during initial flights or after making any firmware updates.  The Phantom actually loss power and crashed some distance away from the location depicted in the logs.   Frustratingly weird.

Yes you can see it in 0.4 sec that at one time the sensors see something.
2018-5-6
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-5-6 13:19
I just have to ask, If you had flown this this route several other times with other drones, and knew the trees were 100-120 ft high, then why did you set your rth altitude at 98 ft?  I know it wasn't used, but that just seemed strange to me.

I assume you are referring to return to home ATL.  To answer that question, I had not planned to use RTH for this intial flight.  That said, I have and I2 and Mavics (x4)  (and a few other of non DJI drones).  I take a lot of low ALT nature footage.  So during many of my initial flights or firmware updates,  I run a default route.  Given this was my 1st P4P, I wanted to see how it responded compared to the I2 and Mavic during flight.  That said, the P4P did initially respond as I had hoped, but unfortunately, it loss power and crashed some distance away from the tree line as indicated in an image I posted yesterday, and during that final run, I was well above the trees at least 20 feet or so.  I am getting increasingly concerned that DJI will assume like some of you have that I crashed into the trees.  To add to this increasing concern, I was filming and decided to take photos during the final run rather that video.  So at the surface, I don't have hard digital proof of the event, only a neighbor, my 13 year old son were eye witnesses.     Given the amount of equipment I've purchased from DJI ( OSMO+, OSMO, I2, Phantom, Mavic, X5, X7, and a number of accessories) without incident, I am hoping they can trust that I am being honest here.
For what's it's worth, this was my 1st hard landing with a DJI drone, guess it was bound to happen soon.  I am thankful however it occurred at homebase rather that over a populated area.

2018-5-6
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Sorry if you think I was assuming,  Didn't mean for it to sound like that. The flight log does show that all telemetry just stopped for some reason and I think it's a good case for review. There have been others lately where hardware failure turned out to be the reason and this could certainly be the case.  Good luck and I hope you get it straightened out to your satisfaction.
2018-5-6
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-5-6 14:36
Sorry if you think I was assuming,  Didn't mean for it to sound like that. The flight log does show that all telemetry just stopped for some reason and I think it's a good case for review. There have been others lately where hardware failure turned out to be the reason and this could certainly be the case.  Good luck and I hope you get it straightened out to your satisfaction.

No worries.   And thanks!
2018-5-6
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Well the internal log in the drone may prove more usefull in solving this mystery.
Hopefully you get it all sorted out.
2018-5-6
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-5-6 14:54
Well the internal log in the drone may prove more usefull in solving this mystery.
Hopefully you get it all sorted out.

Thank you !
2018-5-6
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Good news!  I received the ship to repair email.   Thanks everyone for your feedback !
2018-5-7
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

UAVTom Posted at 2018-5-5 18:16
Thanks for the feedback Diana   I have already put in a support ticket.    I will keep you posted.

You are welcome, hope everything will be fine soon.
2018-5-8
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

UAVTom Posted at 2018-5-7 02:49
Good news!  I received the ship to repair email.   Thanks everyone for your feedback !

That's great. Thanks for your update.
2018-5-8
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Good news.  Under repair and should be shipped soon!
2018-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules