Turf Cutting in Ireland
486 7 2018-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FuZZyPiLOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1353215 ft
Ireland

This video shows one method of how Turf (Peat) is cut in Ireland.

What is turf.... it is compressed peat that when dried Irish people burn for heat.
The red machine is called a Hopper and you pay the contractor per hopper.
The machine is completely hand built running on a diesel engine from a Scania truck.

The day the video was down was very wet with heavy rain showers and windy but i think the video came up pretty well all things considered.

2018-5-6
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

An interesting record or an age old practice, albeit not using a Scania and  a large digger. I had though that the practice was dying out but I could be mistaken. This side of the Irish Sea turf is the stuff you put on the ground to make a lawn,. An excellent and valuable image. Thank you for sharing.
2018-5-6
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Very interesting indeed im guessing that once dried it is cut into bricks that at can then be used for heating
2018-5-6
Use props
FuZZyPiLOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1353215 ft
Ireland

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-5-6 04:24
Very interesting indeed im guessing that once dried it is cut into bricks that at can then be used for heating

Well, once they cut you leave them for a few weeks so they get a dry hard skin on the top, then usually using a rake you turn them over to dry the bottom side, doing this also break them.

Some machine like one in the video actually have a simple cutting device that cuts them maybe every 12 inches.

When they drying they shrink in size.

2018-5-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Interesting collection, of much needed kindling ...

That sure beats burning animal dung and dried manure of grazing cattle... Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2018-5-6
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>

I've only ever seen peat cutting by hand, in the Highlands and Islands. This is on a massive industrial scale, but the laying out to air-dry is the same principle. Thanks for the share.
2018-5-6
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Nice , that hopper works well  
2018-5-6
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

The excavator operator is talented and fast.
2018-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules