Needed repairs not done
808 9 2018-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Terry7526
lvl.1
Flight distance : 82723 ft

I am not sure where to start here…except maybe to warn others to heed the warnings and customer service complaints that you find here or on other sites. While there are a few that are probably people overreacting, I have found that even some of the complaints that you would think could not possibly be legitimate unfortunately quite possibly are. I wanted to write this shortly after my issues started but refrained because I just knew things would get better and while they didn’t get better at least for a while things seemed to be ok.

I will try to keep this short, but this was a long frustrating issue and a lot of phone and email conversations to get to this point.

This started with the camera lens on my Mavic Pro getting condensation on the inside of it while I was above about 50 feet. I researched the issue for a while trying everything I found that I decided made sense. I spent a lot of time with my drone in rice, packing silica packets in the camera protector and other suggestions again that I thought would help. I did all of this before contacting customer service only because I had done the research on DJI before my purchase and yes even though I knew the complaints I still bought the Mavic taking a chance that “this won’t happen to me” and thinking that a lot of the complaints were probably exaggerated form disgruntled byers who maybe caused the issues they were having themselves.  I know that this was very judgmental of me and I am now reaping the karma for judging, but at the time I was trying to convince myself that DJI could in no way be nearly as bad as these people are saying.

When all my efforts to resolve the problem failed and I could no longer find answers I resorted to contacting customer service. This proved to be exactly like the stories that I read and shrugged off many times while searching for the drone that I wanted to purchase. I started with an email and after explaining the situation and a couple of emails in, I was informed that I should send the Mavic in to the service department. I will honestly say that this terrified me, and I considered just dealing with the issue or maybe even replacing the camera myself but since my drone was still under warranty I made the decision to sent it in, this was a decision that I still regret.

Now with the Mavic in the hands of the service department, after a day or so I am told that technicians will evaluate and that I will receive an invoice with the details of the repairs. I thought ok this is going to be ok, they will send an invoice saying that they will need to replace or repair the camera and that because it is still under warranty there will be no charge….I WAS WRONG!!! Instead the invoice stating that two of the motor arms and the top body cover along with the camera and gimble are damaged and will need to be repaired.  (This is when things got real) There was no damage to the drone. Yes, I had had some minor crashes, but I was still flying my drone days before I sent it to them. I questioned the damages to a customer service person and then to a supervisor who informed me that when the repair people receive a product they will replace parts if they have scratches or any blemishes, this is great for someone who wants a shiny drone for every time they fly but this is not a concern for me, all I want is my camera to work properly. I informed them that I do not care about scratches and that I am sure that there are more blemishes on the drone than just the parts they want to replace. This apparently was not an option as the supervisor insisted that his is what need s to be done and he offered me a discount for the repairs. I did not want a discount, I did not want new unblemished parts, I wanted my drone with a camera that I could use for taking pictures.

Tis escalated to a degree that could no longer be handled by a supervisor, so I was eventually contacted by a manager who, like the others insisted that they replace the parts that were listed on the invoice. He did inform me that he could request that only the camera be replaced, however because of the crash it would not be covered under warranty, but with the repairs done I would have a 30-day warranty on the pats that were replaced. I agreed with this because there was no way for me to prove that the issue with the camera was not caused by my minor crash (this is the point where I really regretted sending my drone into DJI) I eventually gave in and agreed to pay for all the repairs at the discounted price, at lease now I can get my drone back and it will be like new.

After finally receiving my drone I did not have any time to go fly right away but did find a couple of days that I could go for a test flight and everything was great, although I had just spent an extra $200 on my drone that was not quite six months old before I began having issues. I took responsibility because of the crashes and figured it was worth it to have my like new drone bake and able to take some pictures and videos, in fact I have been learning how to use picture and video editing software.

And now today……after my 30-day warranty has expired I take my drone out to fly and get off the ground and then see that my camera is getting condensation on the inside of the lens………..

Once again, everyone please please please heed the warnings and take all you read with a grain of salt but do not be like me and blow the complaints off as upset people just venting and possibly exaggerating their stories.

2018-5-6
Use props
TheCenda
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50463 ft
Czechia

As an ex service technician that worked also with laptops and phones, I can understand why many companies "need" to repair everything that might eventually be damaged.
Many tech companies do this (f.e. apple wont repair anything if there is something broken, only every damaged part at once).
The problem with mobile technology is, that you as technician never know, when and how hard has been something dropped and what damage it may cause. You on the other hand need to warranty your repair. Thats when you need to be sure, that everything is okay. You won't believe, how many people I've heard complaining about me breaking something during repair, that was broken when it came to me.

One thing I don't understand is, why there isn't option to claim, that you wont't be returning it and you take said repair "as is" with warranty only on camera part... This isn't even about being careful, but full blown d*ck move.

By the way, I've never heard of condensation under camera lens on mavic, do you know about any other case of this? I can't imagine, that it is normal to occur unless you fly 100's of meters high. Even gopro on our heli doesn't have this problem (unles you jump from hot sun to cold water after it... )
2018-5-7
Use props
Terry7526
lvl.1

TheCenda Posted at 2018-5-7 00:46
As an ex service technician that worked also with laptops and phones, I can understand why many companies "need" to repair everything that might eventually be damaged.
Many tech companies do this (f.e. apple wont repair anything if there is something broken, only every damaged part at once).
The problem with mobile technology is, that you as technician never know, when and how hard has been something dropped and what damage it may cause. You on the other hand need to warranty your repair. Thats when you need to be sure, that everything is okay. You won't believe, how many people I've heard complaining about me breaking something during repair, that was broken when it came to me.

Thank you for your response TheCenda,
I agree with you 100%, I know that (especially with electronics) unseen damage can accuse from accidental drops or in this case crashes and that in this case if something goes wrong in flight there could be even more damage caused and although the drone was flying perfectly before I sent it to DJI, they could have found  something that I was not aware of. The issue that I have with this part is that the first two people could not tell me why these parts needed to be replaced and both came up with the drone may have had scratches on it and DJI usually repairs the product back to like new condition and like you said if that is the case then this should be an option. The next issue that I had with this is that when DJI went over my flight records they concluded that the drone was flown indoors (which is true) and that it was crashed into the ceiling (which is not true). I did hit a table leg with the props at a height of about 18”. Hearing this reminded of others stating that DJI claims that after viewing the records their drone was crashed a certain way, and to me although they can see they it was crashed they cannot see how it was crashed and they should not speculate or in my case tell me how it was crashed because while this is the customers word against theirs and no one else knows, the more this happens the less credibility DJI has.
I also agree with you that we should have an option to be responsible for any damages they find that we didn’t, and, the manager did (after a few minutes) that he could try to see if they could do that. I decided to go ahead and have all the repairs done because I was convinced that this would be an issue later and again I would have a like new drone ..except apparently, they did not fix the main issue that I sent the drone in to them in the first place.
Yes, to my delight I did see that others have had this problem, I say to me delight because it gave me hope that there may be some kind of fix that would prevent me from having to send my drone to the “Service of Death” The condensation develops in the direct center of the lens while in flight and dissipates within seconds of landing.  I thought at first it was the humidity in the air, but I still have the issue even on very dry days.
As many others have stated, this is an excellent product and I love the Mavic (when it does what it is supposed to) but the customer service and repair service is ran like a group of teenagers trying to make as much money as they can and have no concern for the future of their company.  It seems as though its people like you and I that want to know the cause and find a fix, and people like DJI that just want to find an excuse and move on.

Thank you again TheCenda for your response and I hope that this post will help others or even better help DJI.

Terry
2018-5-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi Terry we do apologize for what you have experienced from your mavic pro. Can you please provide to me your previous case number so that we can check that to our system
2018-5-7
Use props
Terry7526
lvl.1

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-5-7 11:19
Hi Terry we do apologize for what you have experienced from your mavic pro. Can you please provide to me your previous case number so that we can check that to our system

Hello DJI Paladin,
Yes, absolutely. The case numbers are listed below.

CRM:0258000297528
CAS-1501196-Q5G9R4

CRM:0674000003430
CAS-1596973-V6H4M2

Thanks
Terry
2018-5-7
Use props
Terry7526
lvl.1

Follow-up
I sent an email to DJI before I posted the original post on this thread and have never received any response. I will continue to make updates in an effort to inform others of the issues with DJI service.
2018-5-9
Use props
Terry7526
lvl.1

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-5-7 11:19

I have sent am email to DJI as well as responded to your post, and i have yet to hear from anyone on this issue.

2018-5-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I agree with Cenda and can see the need for dji to make sure Aircraft will not leave their facility with other parts not working or broke, I would also agree that Camera could have been damaged as a result of the crash.
However to return without fixing the camera is not good enough seems like there maybe a seal damaged.
2018-5-11
Use props
Terry7526
lvl.1

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-11 12:10
I agree with Cenda and can see the need for dji to make sure Aircraft will not leave their facility with other parts not working or broke, I would also agree that Camera could have been damaged as a result of the crash.
However to return without fixing the camera is not good enough seems like there maybe a seal damaged.

Thank you for you post.

I agree that was probably the crash also, my biggest issue now is that they repaired everything except what I sent the drone in for in the first place.

As I mentioned before I was very reluctant to send it in and tried to find i fix that would prevent that, but because I couldn't find the fix I was left with no options.

Thanks again for your comments.

Terry
2018-5-11
Use props
Terry7526
lvl.1

Now more than a week since the email that I sent and when I posted in this forum, also since I responded to DJI Paladin with my case numbers. I have had no response to my attempts of contact. I am going to Germany in August and was hoping to have a drone to take with me but it seems that DJI service has shut down. I wanted to get the situation taken care of via email so that I have a transcript of what transpires (because of past experience with them). I am not sure if by this time any of it will matter but I suppose my next step is the Better Business Bureau. If nothing else I want others to k ow what they are getting into with DJI.
2018-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules