Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
x5s gimbal drift on latest firmware
12Next >
5755 40 2018-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IntrepidDrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 3620226 ft

Hi folks,

It appears my gimbal drift issue has become worse since the latest firmware update. I had it previously but it would stop after a while. It happens on the gound or in the air.

Anybody else having similar issues or found a fix? It is already bad on the 15mm so the 45mm is petty much unsuable, as the extended focal length makes the drift much more visable and unbearable. It's almost impossible to fly in a straight line with the 45 mm lens on, as a result. Long exposures are not possible with the i2 between the drift and instability while hovering.

Does not matter how many times I calibrate everything, it does not make any difference. Between the unstable hover and now the drift issues it's very difficult to use this for professional work at the moment.  I'm hoping I won't have to send it in, but it's looking like I may have no choice.
2018-5-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry to read on the drift issue, could you please upload a short video to YouTube and post the link here? We will report to our engineers for attention, thank you.
2018-5-7
Use props
IntrepidDrone
First Officer

Hi Mindy, I have already been in touch with customer care about the hover/drift issues and provided videos last Wednesday. Someone was supposed to get back to me but I have heard nothing.
Here is a short video with some slight drift while the aircraft is on the ground. It is much, much worse when in the air. So much so that when I try and calibrate a lens by pointing at a high contrast object, I can't do it because it drifts too quickly, especially with the longer focal length of the 45mm. The drift happens with all lenses.

2018-5-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

IntrepidDrone Posted at 2018-5-7 02:20
Hi Mindy, I have already been in touch with customer care about the hover/drift issues and provided videos last Wednesday. Someone was supposed to get back to me but I have heard nothing.
Here is a short video with some slight drift while teh aircraft is on the ground. It is much, much worse when in the air. So much so that when I try and calibrate a lens by poin ting at a high contrast object I can;t do it because it drifts too quickly especially with the longer focal length of the 45mm. The drift happens with all lenses.

Thanks for your quick response, unfortunately, the video cannot be opened, could you please check the link again?
May I know how you contacted our support team? If you contacted them by email, could you please post the email ticket number here?
2018-5-7
Use props
IntrepidDrone
First Officer

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-5-7 02:45
Thanks for your quick response, unfortunately, the video cannot be opened, could you please check the link again?
May I know how you contacted our support team? If you contacted them by email, could you please post the email ticket number here?

Hi Mindy,

the link works fine, can you check again? It's on YouTube so there should be no issues viewing.

I contacted customer services by online chat. Unfortunately they did not email me my case no. I also phoned the Australian number today and they did not seem to have the information.

2018-5-7
Use props
Millardo
lvl.4
United States

I have the same issue. Happens with all lens, and makes the 45mm impossible to use!
2018-5-7
Use props
IntrepidDrone
First Officer

Millardo Posted at 2018-5-7 13:13
I have the same issue. Happens with all lens, and makes the 45mm impossible to use!

Thanks for letting me know, I was hoping it was not just me, as I could do without having to send it in. I have a strong feeling this is all software related like the previous issue where the camera was off centre.  In the mean, time it makes it very difficult to use this day-to-day for work. The 45mm is a no go in most situation until this is resolved.
@djimindy, is there any update on the issue?
2018-5-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

IntrepidDrone Posted at 2018-5-7 02:51
Hi Mindy,

the link works fine, can you check again? It's on YouTube so there should be no issues viewing.

Sorry for my late response because of the time difference, the video is OK now, I will report the issue to our engineers for analysis, please wait patiently and I will be back soon.
2018-5-8
Use props
IntrepidDrone
First Officer

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-5-8 00:19
Sorry for my late response because of the time difference, the video is OK now, I will report the issue to our engineers for analysis, please wait patiently and I will be back soon.

Thanks for the response, I look forward to hearing from you. I also sent you a pm with some further detail.
2018-5-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

IntrepidDrone Posted at 2018-5-8 03:46
Thanks for the response, I look forward to hearing from you. I also sent you a pm with some further detail.

Actually, the latest firmware has optimized this issue, just to verify, did you update the firmware together with the gimbal?
2018-5-8
Use props
IntrepidDrone
First Officer

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-5-8 04:59
Actually, the latest firmware has optimized this issue, just to verify, did you update the firmware together with the gimbal?

Yes, I updated the firmware with the gimbal attached. I always leave the gimbal attached when updating the firmware. I also did another full refresh of the firmware again, to see if it corrected the issue but It did not. The issue is now worse with the new firmware than it was previously.
It also seems from the other users post above, that I am not the only one affected.
2018-5-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

IntrepidDrone Posted at 2018-5-8 05:44
Yes, I updated the firmware with the gimbal attached. I always leave the gimbal attached when updating the firmware. I also did another full refresh of the firmware again, to see if it corrected the issue but It did not. The issue is now worse with the new firmware than it was previously.
It also seems from the other users post above, that I am not the only one affected.

Thanks for your clarification, I will forward the issue to our engineers to check again, please wait patiently, thank you.
2018-5-10
Use props
jburkett
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Hi , the latest gimbal firmware optimize the drifting problem when the drone is in the air , when the drone is landed on the ground , there will be no difference , as there will be magnetic field disturbance near ground.
2018-5-11
Use props
IntrepidDrone
First Officer
Australia

jburkett@zackburkettco.com Posted at 2018-5-11 01:27
Hi , the latest gimbal firmware optimize the drifting problem when the drone is in the air , when the drone is landed on the ground , there will be no difference , as there will be magnetic field disturbance near ground.

The latest firmware did not optimize my gimbal drift issues like it was supposed to as you can see from the description I gave, in my first post. The update actually made my drift far worse. I have drift issues in the air that are far worse than is shown in that video. This video was purely demonstrating the issue which is the same effect in the air.
2018-5-14
Use props
IntrepidDrone
First Officer
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-5-10 00:12
Thanks for your clarification, I will forward the issue to our engineers to check again, please wait patiently, thank you.

Hi Mindy,

Is there an update for this? I just completed a job filming a tv production over the last 5 days and I have to say, the inspire 2 was a nightmare to use. The gimbal drift makes flying in a straight line impossible so  cinematic shots were extremely difficult to pull off correctly with a drifting camera and such an unsteady hovering ability. On many occasions we had to come up with an alternative shot as we could not get the effect the director wanted.
2018-5-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

IntrepidDrone Posted at 2018-5-14 06:39
Hi Mindy,

Is there an update for this? I just completed a job filming a tv production over the last 5 days and I have to say, the inspire 2 was a nightmare to use. The gimbal drift makes flying in a straight line impossible so  cinematic shots were extremely difficult to pull off correctly with a drifting camera and such an unsteady hovering ability. On many occasions we had to come up with an alternative shot as we could not get the effect the director wanted.

The post in 13# is from our engineers, they came to a conclusion after checking the video you provided, if the drifting issue is worse than the ground, it is recommended to send in the aircraft for further evaluation, our repair center will help to address it out.
2018-5-15
Use props
IntrepidDrone
First Officer
Australia

Hi Mindy, I will take a screen capture tomorrow to demonstrate how bad it is in the air. I would like the engineers to check this before I have to send the aircraft in as I use it professionally and don't have a backup aircraft. I want to make sure this is not firmware related before taking this step. I can't afford to be without it for long, which I'm sure you can appreciate.
2018-5-15
Use props
IntrepidDrone
First Officer
Australia

Hi Mindy, I can confirm that I will be sending the aircraft and x5s yo the Australian Repair centre  I raised the relevant numbers today.
2018-5-16
Use props
John's I2
lvl.3

I have the same drifting problem with my X4, I had to send mine to DJI due to the battery cell error. My I2 would not accept the FW update, since I’ve gotten it back I now have the camera drift. I did not have it prior to sending in to DJI. Let me clarify, I’m not blaming DJI in any way for this problem. I’m sure there’s a glitch in the FW and am quite sure it will get rectified. I’m sure they don’t like these issues either
2018-5-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

IntrepidDrone Posted at 2018-5-16 02:02
Hi Mindy, I can confirm that I will be sending the aircraft and x5s yo the Australian Repair centre  I raised the relevant numbers today.

Sorry that I just saw your update, please keep us posted if you need any assistance during the repair process, you can reply to one of my posts directly, then I will get the notification and reply you in time, thanks.
2018-5-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

John's I2 Posted at 2018-5-22 15:00
I have the same drifting problem with my X4, I had to send mine to DJI due to the battery cell error. My I2 would not accept the FW update, since I’ve gotten it back I now have the camera drift. I did not have it prior to sending in to DJI. Let me clarify, I’m not blaming DJI in any way for this problem. I’m sure there’s a glitch in the FW and am quite sure it will get rectified. I’m sure they don’t like these issues either

John, the latest firmware has optimized the drifting issue as our engineers explained in 13#. May I know if you can update the firmware now? If not, is there any error message? How did you update it?
2018-5-23
Use props
John's I2
lvl.3

Mindy
My I2 would not accept the "battery cell error" FW and it got to the point where it wouldn't fly, I spoke to the tech's at DJI and they requested that I send it in to them for repairs, I did. DJI emailed me and said that I needed a new battery, they did the repairs. When I got it back from DJI there were no pop-ups stating that I had to download the latest FW. So I am under the impression that DJI tech's downloaded all the latest FW as I am able to fly now. This I2 did not have this drifting issue prior to me sending it out to DJI. There are no error messages. Mindy, this is not a big problem for me, I don't use this as my living as others do. I can certainly see why it's a problem for them though. Again this drifting issue started after DJI had my I2.  
2018-5-23
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

John's I2 Posted at 2018-5-23 01:14
Mindy
My I2 would not accept the "battery cell error" FW and it got to the point where it wouldn't fly, I spoke to the tech's at DJI and they requested that I send it in to them for repairs, I did. DJI emailed me and said that I needed a new battery, they did the repairs. When I got it back from DJI there were no pop-ups stating that I had to download the latest FW. So I am under the impression that DJI tech's downloaded all the latest FW as I am able to fly now. This I2 did not have this drifting issue prior to me sending it out to DJI. There are no error messages. Mindy, this is not a big problem for me, I don't use this as my living as others do. I can certainly see why it's a problem for them though. Again this drifting issue started after DJI had my I2.

Have you tried to use our DJI Assistant 2?
2018-5-23
Use props
IntrepidDrone
First Officer

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-5-23 00:12
Sorry that I just saw your update, please keep us posted if you need any assistance during the repair process, you can reply to one of my posts directly, then I will get the notification and reply you in time, thanks.

Hi Mindy, I received an email today saying they had tested the i2 and found no issues. This is very frustrating as they never even mentioned the x5s or testing them together or the gimbal drift.  There is clear issues that I have had now for over 6 months and it was not like this when I originally got it back in July 2017. The gimbal drift is something that has developed over the last 4 months. As you can imagine, it is not accepatble to not be able to fly the camera in a straight line for film/TV productions. At present due to the gimbal drift I cannot achieve this, as the camera drift make it looks as though I am crabbing to the side.

Can you please make some enquiries for me with the repair centre. I have even gone to the effort of sending them videos proving the problems.  I will direct message you the case no's.
2018-5-24
Use props
Jefferey Drone Pilot 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 48465 ft
  • >>>
United States

I also have the same Issues, PLEASE FIX SOON..
2018-7-5
Use props
fans28d1d61d
lvl.1
Poland

so after an update now we have to give them drone to repare
2018-7-9
Use props
fans779679d1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4650394 ft
Ireland

I am having the same issue with my x5s, gimbal drift seems to be random. sometimes its totally unusable (I have 2 jobs ruined & unable to use footage due to this issue) & other time it seem ok, this is not acceptable when trying to do work. I have updated the firmware with the gimbal attached & calibrated everything many  times & this does not fix problem. Please fix this problem!
2018-8-13
Use props
fans779679d1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4650394 ft
Ireland

IntrepidDrone Posted at 2018-5-24 01:43
Hi Mindy, I received an email today saying they had tested the i2 and found no issues. This is very frustrating as they never even mentioned the x5s or testing them together or the gimbal drift.  There is clear issues that I have had now for over 6 months and it was not like this when I originally got it back in July 2017. The gimbal drift is something that has developed over the last 4 months. As you can imagine, it is not accepatble to not be able to fly the camera in a straight line for film/TV productions. At present due to the gimbal drift I cannot achieve this, as the camera drift make it looks as though I am crabbing to the side.

Can you please make some enquiries for me with the repair centre. I have even gone to the effort of sending them videos proving the problems.  I will direct message you the case no's.

I am having this exact same problem for last few months, be great to hear if you got it fixed! Drone is coming unusable at this stage
2018-8-13
Use props
IntrepidDrone
First Officer
Australia

Hi, I sent mine in but I'm unsure of whether they sorted it or the previous firmware update fixed it. After that I had no drift. A word of warning though, don't update to this brand new firmware .200 as it will completely mess everything up. Drift comes back and terrible horizon tilt. I had to roll back.
2018-8-13
Use props
vpierre
lvl.3

Suriname

IntrepidDrone Posted at 2018-8-13 05:59
Hi, I sent mine in but I'm unsure of whether they sorted it or the previous firmware update fixed it. After that I had no drift. A word of warning though, don't update to this brand new firmware .200 as it will completely mess everything up. Drift comes back and terrible horizon tilt. I had to roll back.

same issue here with the new firmware,impossible to fly straight and when I hover the camera drifting,WHEN DJI GOING TO DO SOMETHING??????
2018-8-16
Use props
Rob W
Captain
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I was going to shoot the Blood Moon a couple of weekends ago and noted the horizontal drifting. It was evening and almost no wind at all. The Inspire was still in the air. I panned around a bit with my Cendence, and after stopping the manual pan, I noticed that it still drifted a lot even after waiting a while with no fingers on the controls. I took the Inspire down on the ground after a while, put new batteries in, and did a new flight and the drifting was there.

Latest (the new) Inspire firmware, X5S, 45mm lens, DJI balancing ring for the 45mm - perfect balance. All calibrations done before flight (IMU (non-metallic flat surface far away from metal), front/underside cameras, compass (no metal, grass field), Camera (non-metallic flat surface far away from metal), RC).
2018-8-16
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I noticed during and after the last firmware update that the X5S camera/gimbal did a lot of buzzing and dancing during the IMU calibration portion.  Never noticed that before as it was silent and don't know why the IMU calibration would cause the gimbal to make grinding-like noises and dance.  Stock lens was installed too so balance should be correct.

Something is screwy someplace in the firmware.
2018-8-16
Use props
Skylux Media
lvl.3
Flight distance : 168819 ft

Sadly we're experiencing the same with both our X7 and or X5S, since updating the new firmware.  We're also getting:
- IMU Calibration error constantly while mid-flight
- "Landing Gear Lowering / Landing Gear Rasing" warning constantly while mid-flight
- X7 gimbal will drift almost 180° to the left or right while flying.  Will not recenter.  Will not calibrate

I have performed the following items multiple times to try and fix this issue but nothing has worked:
(In Order)
- Factory Reset of Drone
- Re-Install current firmware
- IMU Calibration in a metal free, flat and level surface
- Sensor Calibration
- Compass Calibration in a metal free, flat and level surface
- Gimbal Calibration on a level surface
2018-8-16
Use props
IntrepidDrone
First Officer

Skylux Media Posted at 2018-8-16 08:08
Sadly we're experiencing the same with both our X7 and or X5S, since updating the new firmware.  We're also getting:
- IMU Calibration error constantly while mid-flight
- "Landing Gear Lowering / Landing Gear Rasing" warning constantly while mid-flight

Downgrade to previous firmware, you can;t fix it currently until the re-issue a fix.
2018-8-20
Use props
Skylux Media
lvl.3
Flight distance : 168819 ft
United States

IntrepidDrone Posted at 2018-8-20 08:24
Downgrade to previous firmware, you can;t fix it currently until the re-issue a fix.

How exactly do we downgrade the firmware?  I don't see an option in DJI Assistant Software?  Thanks!
2018-8-22
Use props
IntrepidDrone
First Officer

You can downgrade it through the assistant software, that's how I did mine.  Are you sure you have the latest version of the software installed?
2018-8-22
Use props
Denis SF
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1783087 ft
  • >>>
France

Hello,
We had the same problem as Skylux Media. We have downgraded our Inspire 2.
However now we have a significant loss of horizon on the camera. As if the nacelle was no longer held by the engine.
What's up with the update? Because we always have the possibility to do it, did it improve?
Thanks
2018-8-27
Use props
Monika.G
lvl.4
Flight distance : 719281 ft
Poland

WTF?

2018-9-2
Use props
Monika.G
lvl.4
Flight distance : 719281 ft
Poland

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
2018-9-13
Use props
Midsouth360
lvl.1
United States

I am going to roll back tomorrow.  The drift is so bad I can not use it.  Also have terrible problem with horizon tilt.  This problem should not exist!!!  This has been an off and on problem for quite some time and now it is the worst ever
2018-9-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules