7294 24 2018-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd9d46b59
lvl.2
Flight distance : 167402 ft
Italy

Hello!

I just bought a 2nd hand spark because i wanted to see the differences between it and my mavic pro.
A first i was disappointed noticing that the link between the remote and my phone is supposed to happen just via WiFi instead than OTG (as i usually do with my Mavic Pro).
I found out in this forum that older versions of DJI GO 4 work with OTG cable so i downloaded the .15 version to try it out, but once i plug my cable nothing happens, it's like i didn't plug anything at all into my phone, it doesn't see a USB device, it doesn't show any error, nothing at all.
I tried with two android phones and it doesn't work with both of them.

I'm aware that OTG cable gives issues in newer versions (doesn't show telemetry etc) but at least the phones usually see the link with the remote, in my case nothing of this happens, it's like i didn't plug anything into my phone.

Is there any chance for my remote to be defective?
the usb port works because i can charge it without any issue.

Thanks in advance

P.S. I live in Europe so flying just via WiFi link is impossible. Too much latency and interference.

Edit. I saw there are multiple threads stating that OTG is no longer supported etc, but none of them talked about this precise issue so i had to open another one.
2018-5-7
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

The last two versions of the DJI Go4 App for droids are again  usable with an OTG cable connection.

Are You using the Mavic Cable? Does that come with 2 micro B or with a micro A and a micro B?

Is the RC charging your device? Or phone charging the RC?  
1 is right, second is wrong. Which would mean, the cable is "upsidedown"
Can happen in case you have 2 micro B plugs on your cable.

Also you may try it again, but the last plug to connect is the OTG cable to the RC, the phone side already plugged in
When the RC has a steady LED.

Oh: Try another cable, maybe a simple micro USB OTG adapter (RC side) plus charging cable (phone side).
The Spark ('s RC) seems to be a bit picky here.
2018-5-7
Use props
fansd9d46b59
lvl.2
Italy

Thank you so much for your response, i'm glad to know the last update brought back the OTG support.

My phone has a USB C port so i bought a Micro USB to USB C cable from amazon (the seller didn't give the original to me).
While i'm waiting for it to come i used an OTG adapter and plugged it into my remote, then plugged the USB to USB-C cable to the adapter and then to my phone. But nothing happens.

The chain i did is:    REMOTE -> Micro USB to USB OTG adapter -> USB to USB-C cable

Is this wrong?

I also tried with a phone with a micro usb port using the micro usb to micro usb cable i use for my mavic pro (So without any adapter in the middle, just Remote -> cable -> phone), but nothing happened again.

If i'm not clear i can take a video and upload it if needed!
2018-5-7
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

fansd9d46b59 Posted at 2018-5-7 08:05
Thank you so much for your response, i'm glad to know the last update brought back the OTG support.

My phone has a USB C port so i bought a Micro USB to USB C cable from amazon (the seller didn't give the original to me).

You are using  an OTG adapter.
First:
"The chain i did is:    REMOTE -> Micro USB to USB OTG adapter -> USB to USB-C cable

Is this wrong? "

Yes ;-)  Do it the other way:
Connect the Adapter with the USB-C cable, plug it into the phone.
power up the RC, wait till the blinking LED gets solid red, plug the OTG adapters micro into the RC
You phone should start charging, (kind off) minimum!

If not: try another OTG adapter.
As I said, the RC is not working with all of em, also not with all charging cables.
You may check/change on that side/cable also.
2018-5-7
Use props
Antipaxi
Second Officer

Romania

I have the exact same problem. The specs on my phone say it supports OTG, I never managed to make a connection to the RC. It's rather frustrating.
2018-5-7
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Antipaxi Posted at 2018-5-7 08:13
I have the exact same problem. The specs on my phone say it supports OTG, I never managed to make a connection to the RC. It's rather frustrating.
[view_image]

Is that an usb OTG cable FOR your phone with USB-C connector?
Is that a USB OTG cable at all?
What you need is a usb OTG cable FROM RC to Device
Not from the Device to the RC
2018-5-7
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

One more question to the Mavic cable
does that come with 2 different plugs?
Or b/c you can (afaik) use it only one way, that was not thought of?
If it is 2 micro B, no micro A, turn it around and try again, please
2018-5-7
Use props
Antipaxi
Second Officer

Romania

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-5-7 08:18
Is that an usb OTG cable FOR your phone with USB-C connector?
Is that a USB OTG cable at all?
What you need is a usb OTG cable FROM RC to Device

Hold your horses captain. What am I doing wrong?
I bought it on-line, it was advertised as a micro usb to usb type C OTG cable.
DSC_0048.JPG
DSC_0048.JPG
2018-5-7
Use props
djiuser_XACeNdxGcc13
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1643773 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Which phone are you using to connect? I had similar issues. Some phones require special OTG cable manufactured by the same company
2018-5-7
Use props
fansd9d46b59
lvl.2
Italy

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-5-7 08:21
One more question to the Mavic cable
does that come with 2 different plugs?
Or b/c you can (afaik) use it only one way, that was not thought of?

Thank you again for the prompt response!

I attach a couple pictures just to be clear, i'm starting to doubt about my understanding of your advices, i think i'm dumb haha

I have this USB to USB-C cable and this Micro-B to USB adapter (i think it's the OTG adapter, right?).

I plug the white adapter into the controller and the grey USB-C end to my phone, but totally nothing happens.

Is that because the white adapter has a MICRO-B end?

P.s. I don't remember right now, but i think the Mavic cable comes with Micro-B as well!
2018-5-7
Use props
fansd9d46b59
lvl.2
Italy

djiuser_XACeNdxGcc13 Posted at 2018-5-7 08:44
Which phone are you using to connect? I had similar issues. Some phones require special OTG cable manufactured by the same company

I'm using a LG G6, as i know it supports every OTG adapter but it doesn't mind because the OTG adapter must be plugged into the remote controller!
2018-5-7
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

fansd9d46b59 Posted at 2018-5-7 08:52
Thank you again for the prompt response!

I attach a couple pictures just to be clear, i'm starting to doubt about my understanding of your advices, i think i'm dumb haha

Your Mavic RC has two options, one "big" USB plug in the middle, one micro on the left side. Right?
If you are using/trying this cable for the Mavic and it works (what I doubt!) I suggest either to wait for the cable you ordered, or to try a simple OTG adapter (pluged into the RC) plus your cable.

And that is because I do not think, that a USB CONNECTOR is a USB OTG adapter!
;-)

Do you have something like this available?
2018-5-7
Use props
fansd9d46b59
lvl.2
Italy

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-5-7 09:20
Your Mavic RC has two options, one "big" USB plug in the middle, one micro on the left side. Right?
If you are using/trying this cable for the Mavic and it works (what I doubt!) I suggest either to wait for the cable you ordered, or to try a simple OTG adapter (pluged into the RC) plus your cable.

Oooh that's what i did wrong so! I thought the USB connector was the same as an USB OTG!

I'll order one from Amazon, hope it works!

I'll keep you updated!

Thanks a lot again, i hope this was my mistake!

Edit. Do you think this will work? https://www.amazon.it/POSUGEAR-A ... words=micro+usb+otg
2018-5-7
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Antipaxi Posted at 2018-5-7 08:36
Hold your horses captain. What am I doing wrong?
I bought it on-line, it was advertised as a micro usb to usb type C OTG cable.

If it is advertised as a USB OTG cable, but not working, keep in mind:
It seems the Sparks RC is a bit picky.
I tried, before I bought cables, different OTG adapter which I had from older days with 16GB Phones an just 32 on SD card.
Not every combination with charging/data cables got me a "go fly"
So this hama may not be in the specs, the RC connection needs to work.

But I have some doubts, that this is an OTG cable. ;-)
2018-5-7
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

fansd9d46b59 Posted at 2018-5-7 09:24
Oooh that's what i did wrong so! I thought the USB connector was the same as an USB OTG!

Do it better:
https://www.amazon.it/Rantow-Lig ... words=DJi+Spark+otg

And maybe check Ebay, too.
2018-5-7
Use props
Antipaxi
Second Officer

Romania

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-5-7 09:28
If it is advertised as a USB OTG cable, but not working, keep in mind:
It seems the Sparks RC is a bit picky. I tried, before I bought cables, different OTG adapter which I had from older days with 16GB Phones an just 32 on SD card.
Not every combination with charging/data cables got me a "go fly"

I think I'll just go to a store with my AC, RC and phone and try all adapters until I find one that works.
2018-5-7
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Antipaxi Posted at 2018-5-7 09:33
I think I'll just go to a store with my AC, RC and phone and try all adapters until I find one that works.

That is not a bad idea.
Or you order one OTG cable, no adapter needed, which is manufactured for DJI RC's and Devices

Like this one, from amazon italy

https://www.amazon.it/Rantow-Lig ... words=DJi+Spark+otg

Just only for Micro to USB-C and in 20cm!

2018-5-7
Use props
Antipaxi
Second Officer

Romania

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-5-7 09:44
That is not a bad idea.
Or you order one OTG cable, no adapter needed, which is manufactured for DJI RC's and Devices

Thanks for the tip mate.
2018-5-7
Use props
djiuser_DM7YZmMkRAd4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1535 ft
Poland

Try this: turn on AC - turn on RC - wait for green light in RC - turn on the phone (don't start DJI GO) - plug in OTG to the phone - plug in OTG to RC - in my case DJI GO (4.2.12) now starts automatically - now i can tap GO FLY (my phone is Redmi 4X, Android 7)
2018-5-7
Use props
MoltoLeonard
lvl.2
Italy

Hello Guys!

I'm sorry for replying so late but i had to come back home from work and test the cable.

I can confirm in my case was totally a cable's fault!
I tested the cable i bought from amazon (https://www.amazon.it/gp/product ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and IT WORKS PERFECTLY!

Thank you so much for the advices, i'm so happy i finally solved this issue, i was starting to get worried haha
2018-5-7
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

MoltoLeonard Posted at 2018-5-7 22:20
Hello Guys!

I'm sorry for replying so late but i had to come back home from work and test the cable.

Glad you find out the problem. But we would not recommend users use OTG cable for now. It is not fully tested, please be careful if you want to use it.
2018-5-13
Use props
MoltoLeonard
lvl.2
Italy

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-5-13 23:48
Glad you find out the problem. But we would not recommend users use OTG cable for now. It is not fully tested, please be careful if you want to use it.

Hello and thanks for your response.
Unluckily, as you already know due to he multiple posts about it, in europe we have troubles using the 5.8GHZ band and using the OTG cable is the only option if you wanna fly further than 50meters.
People is reporting this issue in the forum since july 2017, so if DJI didn't mind about this problem enough to test the OTG cable and officially support it, the entire european community is forced to use the cable at his own risk (thing that i don't find pretty fair, considering that in EU the Spark costs more than in US or Asia). We have to take the responsibility for flying the drone we paid in a "non supported" way because it's the only way to make it fly properly, and if any trouble happens we will probably not be able to benefit the product warranty. Doesn't seem like a great treatment for customers,so i hope OTG cable will be officially supported soon.
2018-5-14
Use props
Antipaxi
Second Officer

Romania

I fixed my OTG dilema thanks to this little guy. I have no problem whatsoever connecting the RC to the phone with any data cable. I just need a smaller cable now, the shortest one have is 1 meter, I need a 15 cm one.
DSC_0042 (1).jpg
2018-5-14
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

MoltoLeonard Posted at 2018-5-14 05:10
Hello and thanks for your response.
Unluckily, as you already know due to he multiple posts about it, in europe we have troubles using the 5.8GHZ band and using the OTG cable is the only option if you wanna fly further than 50meters.
People is reporting this issue in the forum since july 2017, so if DJI didn't mind about this problem enough to test the OTG cable and officially support it, the entire european community is forced to use the cable at his own risk (thing that i don't find pretty fair, considering that in EU the Spark costs more than in US or Asia). We have to take the responsibility for flying the drone we paid in a "non supported" way because it's the only way to make it fly properly, and if any trouble happens we will probably not be able to benefit the product warranty. Doesn't seem like a great treatment for customers,so i hope OTG cable will be officially supported soon.

I can understand you feel frustrated about the situation. Our engineers are optimizing the feature and it will be supported in the future. Thanks for your feedback.
2018-5-16
Use props
james_ross
New

I have a Spark + remote controller and use this OTG cable on Amazon.:

"CableCreation Micro USB Male to Micro USB Male OTG Cable for DJI Spark and Mavic, Kindle Fire, PS4, Android Phone and Tablet, DAC and more,8 inch/20CM, Black"

I find that not all Android devices are compatible with the OTG cable:

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Android 4) works
Samsung Galaxy S4 (Android 4) does not work
Xiaomi Predmi 4 Prime (Android 6) does not work

I dunno why ....

I also downgraded to GO 4 app version 4.1.14  so that it will display vital data (battery percentage, GPS strength etc.).
2018-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules