Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Crystal Sky over heating?
3034 19 2018-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rockyraaccoon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 982382 ft
United States

So I put the drone in the air today for some action footage of us fishing. I was halfway through the flight (about 8 minutes) when a warning came up on the CS monitor that it was over heating and needed to shut down. Is this common? It had only been on about 10 minutes.

2018-5-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Rocky, just to confirm, it was the CS overheating, right? Could you please provide the screenshot of the current firmware of your CS, the ambient temperature of your flight environment, and which Crystalsky you are using? Look forward to your update.
2018-5-7
Use props
Rockyraaccoon
lvl.4
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-5-7 19:55
Rocky, just to confirm, it was the CS overheating, right? Could you please provide the screenshot of the current firmware of your CS, the ambient temperature of your flight environment, and which Crystalsky you are using? Look forward to your update.

The warning display on the screen said it was the CS monitor that was hot.

Unfortunately, my drone and gear is at work and I can't look at the FW version, although I did update it just a few days ago when I bought it.

The weather conditions were sunny and in the upper 70's.
2018-5-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Rockyraaccoon Posted at 2018-5-8 17:03
The warning display on the screen said it was the CS monitor that was hot.

Unfortunately, my drone and gear is at work and I can't look at the FW version, although I did update it just a few days ago when I bought it.

Thank you for getting back. Please kindly start the CS, go to system settings and check the current firmware of the Crystalsky. BTW, is it the 5.5inch or 7.58inch version?
2018-5-9
Use props
Rockyraaccoon
lvl.4
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-5-9 23:08
Thank you for getting back. Please kindly start the CS, go to system settings and check the current firmware of the Crystalsky. BTW, is it the 5.5inch or 7.58inch version?

Currently, it says

Version 2.06.03.00
2018-5-10
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Rockyraaccoon Posted at 2018-5-10 12:34
Currently, it says

Version 2.06.03.00

If you have the CS in direct sunlight (this will heat it up quickly) or if you are using one of the aftermarket mounts that put the CS in the jaws of the MP/MA you can inadvertently cover the ventilation ports while holding on to it. Mine has given me the warning a couple of times with no detriment to the unit. If your worried, put it in a ziplock bag and place it in a cooler of ice before using (don't bury it, lay it in flat bottom side down) this will buy you at least and additional 10 minutes in on very hot days. I am in Florida and have done this in extreme sunlight. and heat, cooling the CS down to around 40°F helps a lot.
I wouldn't send it over an occasional warning.
2018-5-10
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Currently, it says

Version 2.06.03.00

You still have not informed whether you have the high brightness or ultra brightnes version of Crystalsky...
2018-5-10
Use props
Rockyraaccoon
lvl.4
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-5-10 12:56
You still have not informed whether you have the high brightness or ultra brightnes version of Crystalsky...

I have no clue.

It is the 5.5 Crystal Sky. How do I tell if it's super bright or not?
2018-5-10
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
United States

Rockyraaccoon Posted at 2018-5-10 13:07
I have no clue.

5.5" is the High Brightness ( 1000 nits ) not the Ultra Bright ( 2000 nits ) which is only available in the 7.85"
2018-5-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Currently, it says

Version 2.06.03.00

Thank you for your info, will forward this case to the engineers to confirm.

2018-5-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-10 12:46
If you have the CS in direct sunlight (this will heat it up quickly) or if you are using one of the aftermarket mounts that put the CS in the jaws of the MP/MA you can inadvertently cover the ventilation ports while holding on to it. Mine has given me the warning a couple of times with no detriment to the unit. If your worried, put it in a ziplock bag and place it in a cooler of ice before using (don't bury it, lay it in flat bottom side down) this will buy you at least and additional 10 minutes in on very hot days. I am in Florida and have done this in extreme sunlight. and heat, cooling the CS down to around 40°F helps a lot.
I wouldn't send it over an occasional warning.

If you have the CS in direct sunlight (this will heat it up quickly)

Nothing against you.  But that gave me a painful chuckle.  
CS designed for very purpose of being used in direct sunlight, overheats doing what it was designed for.  

2018-5-10
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-10 18:48
If you have the CS in direct sunlight (this will heat it up quickly)

Nothing against you.  But that gave me a painful chuckle.  

CS is designed for being able to see the screen in direct sunlight, it is a metal that heats up like the hood of your car in sunlight, I have set mine down with it turned off in the sun, went to pick it up and it was very hot and got an Overheat warning instantly. Overheat has nothing to do with the being able to see the screen. Main reference is to keep it in a cool shaded palce until ready for use.
2018-5-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-11 00:38
CS is designed for being able to see the screen in direct sunlight, it is a metal that heats up like the hood of your car in sunlight, I have set mine down with it turned off in the sun, went to pick it up and it was very hot and got an Overheat warning instantly. Overheat has nothing to do with the being able to see the screen. Main reference is to keep it in a cool shaded palce until ready for use.

I have set mine down with it turned off in the sun, went to pick it up  and it was very hot and got an Overheat warning instantly.  

I get idea of keeping CS out of sun till you need to use it.  However,  the act of using CS in the sun is going to quickly have same effect.

Sure the fan inside is running while in use, but fan is there to remove some of heat generatred by electronics inside.  Other heat generated by electronics inside is disipated through chassis holding electronics.  Later part accelerating heating, from being used in sun.  

Really comes back to poor design for intented purpose of CS.

Be glad cars don't overheat and shutdown from being parked in sunlight.  

2018-5-11
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-11 08:40
I have set mine down with it turned off in the sun, went to pick it up  and it was very hot and got an Overheat warning instantly.  

I get idea of keeping CS out of sun till you need to use it.  However,  the act of using CS in the sun is going to quickly have same effect.

Used my CS this morning got the "CS is hot avoid overheating by cooling it off" did not give me an actual overheat warning, ignored it and flew 2 more batteries, it popped up again once during the rest of the flights. Then again it is 89°F and I was standing in direct sunlight.
2018-5-11
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Estonia

I have no clue.

Thank you, the 5.5 comes only as high brightness. I was asking because before overheating oroblems were mainly reported for the 7.85 ultra brightness models.
2018-5-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

I have no clue.

Hi Rocky, I got a feedback from the engineers. It is a known issue, the engineers will optimize it in the next update, sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your feedback.
2018-5-23
Use props
Rockyraaccoon
lvl.4
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-5-23 23:44
Hi Rocky, I got a feedback from the engineers. It is a known issue, the engineers will optimize it in the next update, sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your feedback.

Thor,

Im just now updating the newest Crystal Sky update. It mentions fixing overheating issues in the notes.

Thanks.
2018-5-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Rockyraaccoon Posted at 2018-5-30 17:40
Thor,

Im just now updating the newest Crystal Sky update. It mentions fixing overheating issues in the notes.

Yes, this issue has been optimized. Please let me know if it works if it is convenience. Thank you.
2018-6-4
Use props
Adenisot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11501778 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-6-4 03:56
Yes, this issue has been optimized. Please let me know if it works if it is convenience. Thank you.

Hello I live in Bali and I get the same message during my third flight with the CS, I was not in the direct sunlight but the temperature was around 29/31°C.

I installed the last firmware now, will see if it change something.
2018-6-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Adenisot Posted at 2018-6-4 04:43
Hello I live in Bali and I get the same message during my third flight with the CS, I was not in the direct sunlight but the temperature was around 29/31°C.

I installed the last firmware now, will see if it change something.

Yes, please try the latest firmware, this issue was optimized.
2018-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules