Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Controller Customization Request
469 4 2018-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tijai
lvl.1
Flight distance : 53740 ft

Not Expecting this to be treated as priority, but id like to say that it would be a nice salute to pilots with extensive video game backgrounds if the functionality to control the gimbal were able to be mapped to the sticks.
For example: Right stick up and down would be camera up and down, or vice versa (inverted), with right and left controlling the pitch of the drone.  Additionally, the ability to map climb and descent in altitude to the c1 and c2 buttons would complete the configuration.  This would honestly make flying the drone just like many First Person Shooter games on the market today.

Thoughts?
2018-5-8
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Interesting thought, you are not the first to suggest or mention this, likely why most have not responded to it thus far.
The first priority in operating these devices is flight control, the secondary is camera and photo ops.  The only control you are proposing that would remain in this setup would be two axis control by stick.  While it might be more convenient for gamers if the configuration could be changed in a manner you prefer, it does not allow for the first priority to be worked in a timely fashion.  That is not enough to ensure flight safety and control.
After flying this puppy for some time now, I have yet to find a situation where I was going to fly to a spot and then stay there for any length of time.  Now I know some will and do but they are the exception rather than the rule and thus far they seem to be doing just fine with the configuration being what it is.
Aircraft have three axis to operate in, pitch (for a quad it is up/down), roll (slip left/right), and yaw (turn left/right).  First person shooter only need worry with two axis, front & back and left & right; looking up & down and left & right are key but when one stick can control the first with mobility while the other stick controls view it does not translate to a flight configuration in a coordinated manner.  The C1/2 buttons do not allow enough fidelity to make minute adjustments in a timely fashion.  Even if you were to map that setup, how exactly do you propose you stop a climb or descent...by releasing the button, well then there would be no allowance for change in acceleration or deceleration and the ability to achieve finesse as either the button will result in a rapid movement or a slower one but no in between and no ability to change as needed.  You'd play heck trying to land it using that setup or just trying to negotiate an area that has three dimensional limits.
Lastly, while I'm sure you or others could teach themselves to fly a rig wired that way, the greater majority of operators are either long time model aircraft flyers or actual pilots that have an understanding of flight ops and prefer the full fidelity that the joy stick setup affords.  Maybe DJI will here you and somehow engineer that as an alternative configuration, but don't expect it to be a primary setup or default.
2018-5-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Thanks for your suggestion. Flight safety is still the top priority. We'll expect more new models as well.
2018-5-10
Use props
Tijai
lvl.1
Flight distance : 53740 ft

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-5-8 23:10
Interesting thought, you are not the first to suggest or mention this, likely why most have not responded to it thus far.
The first priority in operating these devices is flight control, the secondary is camera and photo ops.  The only control you are proposing that would remain in this setup would be two axis control by stick.  While it might be more convenient for gamers if the configuration could be changed in a manner you prefer, it does not allow for the first priority to be worked in a timely fashion.  That is not enough to ensure flight safety and control.
After flying this puppy for some time now, I have yet to find a situation where I was going to fly to a spot and then stay there for any length of time.  Now I know some will and do but they are the exception rather than the rule and thus far they seem to be doing just fine with the configuration being what it is.

Thanks so much for the detailed reply.  As a beginner to done flying, I really appreciate the detailed response.  Follow up question: do you think that the ability to map altitude control to the dial instead of the C1/c2 buttons would be a better implementation  from a fidelity standpoint?
2018-5-10
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Tijai Posted at 2018-5-10 09:20
Thanks so much for the detailed reply.  As a beginner to done flying, I really appreciate the detailed response.  Follow up question: do you think that the ability to map altitude control to the dial instead of the C1/c2 buttons would be a better implementation  from a fidelity standpoint?

Well I think you know the answer to that as much as I do...yes, it could be done.
So, the question then becomes why, in this case it would permit a gamer type configuration.
My answer would then be this, as I mentioned before, nearly all if not most of the drone operators here are use to this configuration as it is the same as model flyers and translates fairly well from actual flight ops.  Therefore, until such time that gamers become the predominant purchasers I don't see this becoming an option.  However, if gamers did join the ranks in greater numbers who asked for this, then I do see that being a possibility.  They will need to convince DJI to put the effort towards making those changes, and I have to tell you DJI tends to be challenged enough at times in making FW updates let alone a configuration change.  Meaning, any change like that is most likely possible but years down the road, and the inertia against that option is not in your favor.  Consider that other gamers are already here and have mastered the standard flight configuration without issue.
See my poll on this as a reference to what most use as their configuration: https://forum.dji.com/thread-115201-1-1.html
To answer your question on flight ops and the fidelity of using that set up; yes that would be a better way to perform the up/down control.  However, the one drawback is not having an automatic or default centering capability.  With the control stick they will center when letting go thus stopping that control input i.e. stopping the climb or descent.  With the wheel as it is currently installed it does not allow for any centering.  This could lead to some confusion as to when and where to stop a climb or descent and if something happens and an operator gets distracted or panics and looses SA their set climb or descent would continue until crashing, exceeding range, or reaching max altitude, neither of those possibilities are desirable.  
Again I'm sure a gamer could learn to use that configuration but the drawback will lead to problems.  Now if they installed a spring loaded wheel that did self center that would likely resolve many of those concerns, however, it would negate other options that currently use the feature as it is now designed.  Meaning the tradeoff is not necessarily worth it, and most likely there is not enough folks that would prefer that feature; meaning market forces would not be in its favor.
Anything is possible, but it doesn't make it workable in reality.
2018-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules