Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic pro flight distance experiences
12Next >
4078 58 2018-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jbbruce
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1263196 ft
United States

I just wanted to say that 5-6-18, i personally flew my Mavic pro 20,234 feet away from where i was standing.  Just over 3.8miles. At this point in my flight my mavic automatically went into return to home even though i still had 72% battery left.  Upon landing my battery was at 12% due to flying into approximately a 14mph head wind. My altitude was about 350feet.

No, I do not use any signal boosting equipment or mods of any kind.  My Mavic is completely bone stock. I bought it brand new on 4-30-18.   

I do believe that the mavic can fly to the claimed 4.3 miles and still make it back safely as long as you have wind speeds less than what i was flying with.  I have a screen shot of my flight data but im not sure if how to post it here.

My total flight distance was 40,872.
2018-5-9
Use props
Tealk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 479613 ft
Romania

maximum flight for me was 6km ...in Europe ...no mods...and landit with 25% battery
2018-5-9
Use props
Jbbruce
lvl.1
United States

Tealk Posted at 2018-5-9 09:37
maximum flight for me was 6km ...in Europe ...no mods...and landit with 25% battery

Thats cool man.  Im from the U.S.
2018-5-9
Use props
IceBox-Murdock
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43845 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's good to know. I just don't have the nerve to fly that far. If my drone looks like a dot to me already, I get scared and fly it back to me. I need some booze to do what you did.
2018-5-9
Use props
MaineMavick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 169524 ft

My max is 3.5 miles.
2018-5-9
Use props
Jbbruce
lvl.1

IceBox-Murdock Posted at 2018-5-9 11:00
That's good to know. I just don't have the nerve to fly that far. If my drone looks like a dot to me already, I get scared and fly it back to me. I need some booze to do what you did.

Im not gonna lie....there was a brief moment where i thought it might not make it back .  I'm gonna try to hit 21,120 feet (4 miles) and if i can hit that I'll call it good.
2018-5-9
Use props
Jbbruce
lvl.1

3.5 miles is still a very long way man..  Only reason I'm attempting these longer distances is due to DJI claiming 4.3 miles.  Honestly i already believe that the mavic pro can reach that distance as a stock unit.
2018-5-9
Use props
IceBox-Murdock
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43845 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jbbruce Posted at 2018-5-9 12:54
Im not gonna lie....there was a brief moment where i thought it might not make it back .  I'm gonna try to hit 21,120 feet (4 miles) and if i can hit that I'll call it good.

Wow! You know just by reading threads here about flyaways gives me more reason not to be a daredevil. There was one time my MP descended I don't know how many meters because it was facing the sun and thought it was an obstacle, I almost had a heart attack and shaking like crazy. I hit RTH right away. Just the thought of seeing your drone flying away from you and losing control makes me want to cry already. That is like watching $1,000 burning in front of you while your hands are tied.
2018-5-9
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>

I got my Mavic Pro brand new and after approx. 10 flights my range test achieved only 14,000 out and 28,000 feet in total. I flew my Spark range test the exact path in same location but was able to get 10,000 feet out. Here is the video to both:    
2018-5-9
Use props
Jbbruce
lvl.1
United States

IceBox-Murdock Posted at 2018-5-9 14:53
Wow! You know just by reading threads here about flyaways gives me more reason not to be a daredevil. There was one time my MP descended I don't know how many meters because it was facing the sun and thought it was an obstacle, I almost had a heart attack and shaking like crazy. I hit RTH right away. Just the thought of seeing your drone flying away from you and losing control makes me want to cry already. That is like watching $1,000 burning in front of you while your hands are tied.

I completely understand your thoughts man.  The place where im doing these long range flights is a pretty good location.  Im kinda at the top of a hill so I'm able to keep good line of sight.  In my longest flight my major hurdle was the head wind that i had to come back threw.  If I do attempt a 4 mile flight i will be sure to do it when the wind and gusts are below 10mph. Preferably below 5mph.  I will definitely say that my confidence is high after my longest flight.  

Im amazed at how well these drone fly and handle as well as all the technology built into them.

According to the mavic pro's manuals... if i did lose signal for whatever reason i configure the settings so that it will return to home.  I always do the "precise takeoff" when i plan to take a long flight.  This should keep me safe from losing my mavic but obviously its no guarantee.  Battery power is the best reason i could have a problem with losing it.  I also make sure im flying over a road or at least very close to it just incase i have to land where i wasnt planning on landing.
2018-5-9
Use props
Jbbruce
lvl.1
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-9 15:07
I got my Mavic Pro brand new and after approx. 10 flights my range test achieved only 14,000 out and 28,000 feet in total. I flew my Spark range test the exact path in same location but was able to get 10,000 feet out. Here is the video to both:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSZAPRGEuAM  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8VkiY2nlic

Cool videos man.  How do you post them?  I've been trying to post a picture of my flight data here so everyone can see the flight path and stats but i cant seem to get it on here.

I did manage to get a screenshot in my "art" file but i dont know if anyone can see it besides me.  

2018-5-9
Use props
djiuser_ORT03tqNgLhm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2217402 ft
United Kingdom

I got my Mavic Pro brand new and after approx. 10 flights my range test achieved only 14,000 out and 28,000 feet in total. I flew my Spark range test the exact path in same location but was able to get 10,000 feet out. Here is the video to both:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSZAPRGEuAM  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8VkiY2nlic

Wow you had controller interference straight away from take off flashing controller sign your video feed was rock solid its normally the video downlink that gets tbe interference first. Great flight. Ive not tried distance test on my Mavic Pro yet but done quite a few on my spark.haha
2018-5-9
Use props
Jbbruce
lvl.1
United States

Jbbruce Posted at 2018-5-9 16:06
Cool videos man.  How do you post them?  I've been trying to post a picture of my flight data here so everyone can see the flight path and stats but i cant seem to get it on here.

I did manage to get a screenshot in my "art" file but i dont know if anyone can see it besides me.

Dont get me wrong guys....   I'm certainly not suggesting that you all are chickens for not flying further out.  I'm just looking to see what you all have done so far with your own drones.  And to compare notes so that we all can improve our skills.  Or at the very least... have more fun.  

I will gladly share my experiences good or bad with any of you. Hit me up anytime and I'll get back to you as soon as i can. I work a lot but i find time here and there during the day to squeeze in a reply.  
2018-5-9
Use props
dwin1977
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2730026 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's amazing! Was it a very open space? Must have been. I know the general rule of thumb is to fly in to the wind so the return will have a tail wind to help it back. What mobile device were you using?
2018-5-9
Use props
Jbbruce
lvl.1
United States

dwin1977 Posted at 2018-5-9 16:39
That's amazing! Was it a very open space? Must have been. I know the general rule of thumb is to fly in to the wind so the return will have a tail wind to help it back. What mobile device were you using?

Yes I was definitely flying and what would be considered a fairly open space.  The further out i got in distance I would gradually increase my altitude to Aid in signal strength.  My drone is completely stock and i dont use any signal boosting equipment.  I use an LG G Pad F2 8.0 just so i have a larger screen
2018-5-9
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>

Jbbruce Posted at 2018-5-9 16:06
Cool videos man.  How do you post them?  I've been trying to post a picture of my flight data here so everyone can see the flight path and stats but i cant seem to get it on here.

Thanks, it's pretty simple to produce - I recorded my phone screen and had a GoPro Hero strapped to my head. I took the SD card video from inside the drone and edited all the footage in Premiere Pro.

Any ideas on what kind of video I should put together next? I also have the Tello and was thinking of maybe doing a review?
2018-5-9
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>

djiuser_ORT03tqNgLhm Posted at 2018-5-9 16:07
Wow you had controller interference straight away from take off flashing controller sign your video feed was rock solid its normally the video downlink that gets tbe interference first. Great flight. Ive not tried distance test on my Mavic Pro yet but done quite a few on my spark.haha

The controller interference is something I need to send in my Mavic Pro to DJI who have to troubleshoot the drone with its Remote Controller.
2018-5-9
Use props
Jbbruce
lvl.1

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-9 17:49
The controller interference is something I need to send in my Mavic Pro to DJI who have to troubleshoot the drone with its Remote Controller.

Could it be a firmware issue?
2018-5-9
Use props
Jbbruce
lvl.1

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-9 17:47
Thanks, it's pretty simple to produce - I recorded my phone screen and had a GoPro Hero strapped to my head. I took the SD card video from inside the drone and edited all the footage in Premiere Pro.

Any ideas on what kind of video I should put together next? I also have the Tello and was thinking of maybe doing a review?

Reviews are always great ideas.  Maybe something on after market battery chargers or propellers. Accessories of any type.  Maybe something on flying techniques or apps you trust for weather conditions used for flying.
2018-5-9
Use props
SparksBird
Captain
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

24,130 feet(4.57 miles) and total feet 51,736(9.8 miles round trip)  Bone stock.  Actually think I hold the stock record according to this https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... e-leaderboard.1211/
2018-5-9
Use props
Jbbruce
lvl.1

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-9 18:15
24,130 feet(4.57 miles) and total feet 51,736(9.8 miles round trip)  Bone stock.  Actually think I hold the stock record according to this https://mavicpilots.com/threads/official-mavic-range-leaderboard.1211/
[view_image]

Wow! With the mavic pro?  Thats a massive flight.  Did you use any signal boosters?
2018-5-9
Use props
dwin1977
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2730026 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jbbruce Posted at 2018-5-9 17:06
Yes I was definitely flying and what would be considered a fairly open space.  The further out i got in distance I would gradually increase my altitude to Aid in signal strength.  My drone is completely stock and i dont use any signal boosting equipment.  I use an LG G Pad F2 8.0 just so i have a larger screen

Awesome. I'm looking for a tablet that is compatible with the Pro and the Air and it sounds like the LG is kicking it!
2018-5-9
Use props
Jbbruce
lvl.1
United States

dwin1977 Posted at 2018-5-9 19:22
Awesome. I'm looking for a tablet that is compatible with the Pro and the Air and it sounds like the LG is kicking it!

Other than me dropping my g-pad and cracking the screen ive had zero issues using it with my mavic pro
2018-5-9
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>

Jbbruce Posted at 2018-5-9 17:56
Could it be a firmware issue?

I don't think so I'm on the newest firmware, and it has happened on both updates?
2018-5-9
Use props
Jbbruce
lvl.1
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-9 20:05
I don't think so I'm on the newest firmware, and it has happened on both updates?

Oh ok.  Was just a thought
2018-5-9
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>

Jbbruce Posted at 2018-5-9 20:32
Oh ok.  Was just a thought

I appreciate the suggestion.
2018-5-9
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Captain
Flight distance : 10149541 ft
Canada

IceBox-Murdock Posted at 2018-5-9 14:53
Wow! You know just by reading threads here about flyaways gives me more reason not to be a daredevil. There was one time my MP descended I don't know how many meters because it was facing the sun and thought it was an obstacle, I almost had a heart attack and shaking like crazy. I hit RTH right away. Just the thought of seeing your drone flying away from you and losing control makes me want to cry already. That is like watching $1,000 burning in front of you while your hands are tied.

I know what you mean Murdock I get the same way.
2018-5-9
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Captain
Canada

I got my Mavic Pro brand new and after approx. 10 flights my range test achieved only 14,000 out and 28,000 feet in total. I flew my Spark range test the exact path in same location but was able to get 10,000 feet out. Here is the video to both:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSZAPRGEuAM  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8VkiY2nlic

Oh David I have so many questions for you, first part of the flight seen the red obstacle sign whenever that happens to me I get nervous so I head back, next controller kept on flashing Why?  Was that a correction centre with the enclosed compound I seen and was that the reason for D nfz  warning? You have a good place to fly far I on the other hand is surrounded by hills I guess that's the reason I cannot fly that far. I had also purchase the antennae booster and that makes no difference still signals come in weak, also looking at your camera settings which gives me some influence.
2018-5-9
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Captain
Canada

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-9 17:47

Any ideas on what kind of video I should put together next? I also have the Tello and was thinking of maybe doing a review?

So you have the Tello, well you have to share your thoughts on that David.
2018-5-9
Use props
Bob Brown
Captain
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gutsy. Not anything I would ever do. I try to stick to vlos as much as possible.
2018-5-10
Use props
Jbbruce
lvl.1
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-5-10 02:55
Gutsy. Not anything I would ever do. I try to stick to vlos as much as possible.

I understand what your saying.  I posted this info about my flight so that everyone can see that the mavic pro definitely has the ability to fly great distances and still return safely as mine did.  

I also wanted to read results from other users on here and talk about flight experiences
2018-5-10
Use props
SparksBird
Captain
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Jbbruce Posted at 2018-5-9 18:26
Wow! With the mavic pro?  Thats a massive flight.  Did you use any signal boosters?

Yup with MP.  I used the Parabolic fold-able range extender.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am very impressed with the MP and how it can go nearly 5 miles out.  A tip to get faster speed and longer battery is turn off obstacle avoidance ;)
2018-5-10
Use props
Jbbruce
lvl.1
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-10 06:02
Yup with MP.  I used the Parabolic fold-able range extender.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071VTWXXF/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am very impressed with the MP and how it can go nearly 5 miles out.  A tip to get faster speed and longer battery is turn off obstacle avoidance ;)

Yeah thats cool.  I dont have anything like that to help my signal.  Maybe at some point down the road.  For now im just testing my Mavics barebones capabilites to build my own confidence.  To see where my limits are and on occasion to fly close to those limits without getting myself in a situation where i could end up crashing.  

I really appreciate your info.
2018-5-10
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-5-9 23:55
Oh David I have so many questions for you, first part of the flight seen the red obstacle sign whenever that happens to me I get nervous so I head back, next controller kept on flashing Why?  Was that a correction centre with the enclosed compound I seen and was that the reason for D nfz  warning? You have a good place to fly far I on the other hand is surrounded by hills I guess that's the reason I cannot fly that far. I had also purchase the antennae booster and that makes no difference still signals come in weak, also looking at your camera settings which gives me some influence.

Hey Picanoc Jack. The flashing controller issue happened right out of the box and it appears the smart device I'm using, which is a Samsung S7, is referencing the controller interference. I have no idea why the controller keeps flashing on every long distance flight greater than 2000 feet? The instruction manual reads the RC interference but it will not impact your flight?

I spoke with DJI about the issue immediately before activating the Mavic Pro and they suggested I send it in with my RC for servicing. My biggest concern was upon sending it in, they said possibly a replacement would be shipped out to me, after they troubleshooted the unit. I told them my Mavic Pro was brand new just out of the box, but they said it was possible a refurbished out of the box replacement would be sent?

I got a good deal on my Mavic Pro and didn't want to miss out on flying a new drone, which I haven't, and now that the weather is 105 degrees here in Arizona, I can't fly as much so it's a good time for me to send it in now? It's a confusing process because I purchased DJI Care Refresh for this Mavic Pro, it didn't work correctly straight out of the box, but I would just rather to send in my Mavic Pro in its original box and everything it came with to have DJI send me another brand new unboxed Mavic Pro that I can switch the Care Refresh to.

We'll see?
2018-5-10
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-5-9 23:58
So you have the Tello, well you have to share your thoughts on that David.

I call it MR. TELLO and he's my favorite indoor drone. I'm going to get around soon and put together some footage on him in a quick review.
2018-5-10
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-10 06:02
Yup with MP.  I used the Parabolic fold-able range extender.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071VTWXXF/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also used the folding set of Parabolic range extender for my range test and recall there wasn't really much of an improvement from one of the times I flew it without them, maybe 2,000 feet as I say didn't try to fly that day really much farther?
2018-5-10
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Captain
Canada

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-10 07:41
Hey Picanoc Jack. The flashing controller issue happened right out of the box and it appears the smart device I'm using, which is a Samsung S7, is referencing the controller interference. I have no idea why the controller keeps flashing on every long distance flight greater than 2000 feet? The instruction manual reads the RC interference but it will not impact your flight?

I spoke with DJI about the issue immediately before activating the Mavic Pro and they suggested I send it in with my RC for servicing. My biggest concern was upon sending it in, they said possibly a replacement would be shipped out to me, after they troubleshooted the unit. I told them my Mavic Pro was brand new just out of the box, but they said it was possible a refurbished out of the box replacement would be sent?

Best of luck to you David on that one,  105 degrees!  how do you survive that? Anything past 75 I stay inside a cool place, like most of us canucks are not use to extreme heat.  stay cool David!
2018-5-10
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Captain
Canada

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-10 07:47
I call it MR. TELLO and he's my favorite indoor drone. I'm going to get around soon and put together some footage on him in a quick review.

Great!  I am very curious about this drone,  how do you like it so far?
2018-5-10
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Captain
Canada

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-10 07:51
I also used the folding set of Parabolic range extender for my range test and recall there wasn't really much of an improvement from one of the times I flew it without them, maybe 2,000 feet as I say didn't try to fly that day really much farther?

then in that case I will bring them around for when I get to NS
2018-5-10
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Captain
Canada

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-10 07:51
I also used the folding set of Parabolic range extender for my range test and recall there wasn't really much of an improvement from one of the times I flew it without them, maybe 2,000 feet as I say didn't try to fly that day really much farther?

oh I forgot something, when it gets to 105 you won't fly, is that because it's too hard on the drone? the other question was about the obstacle warning, the other correction centre D warning?
2018-5-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules