Birds ever tell you to "Go Away!"
721 7 2018-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

I was out flying last week.  I was over a wooded area, with a small lake nearby, my altitude was about 50 meters up and a distance about 200 meters away.  I am shooting still shots and getting my camera all lined up and I start getting these proximity warnings!  I am not moving around at all and I am fairly high up.  As I look closer at the drone there are a few birds that are dive bombing me to get me to go away.  If they miss and fly into my props, they will have a bad day and I will lose my drone.  I came home scared that I could have lost my drone and killed a bird.  Anyone else have experience with birds defending their airspace?

2018-5-9
Use props
Just_nick
lvl.4
United States

Yes. Flying up usually helps
2018-5-9
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

It is nesting time, you need to stay away from their nests at this time of year.
2018-5-9
Use props
Markon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1296585 ft
Australia

Birds of prey generally don't like drones. I have had several instances of birds upset by my drone over the farm. One of the farmers in my local area had his Phantom 3 taken out by a Brown Falcon on his fourth flight.

As Just_nick advised, going up is best option.

For example, yesterday while flying over timbered area looking for feral animals on our farm at an altitude of 25m, a wedgetail eagle started taking unhealthy interest in my drone.

Immediately I stopped forward motion of drone and went straight up at full speed to 120m and then flew at full speed back towards me. After about  300m distance, the eagle lost interest.

My rule of thumb is when over timber, forest or other areas where encounters are likely, is to maintain good SA (Situational Awareness)
2018-5-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Keep birds away from the aircraft as the noise may irritate them.
2018-5-9
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

Markon Posted at 2018-5-9 14:39
Birds of prey generally don't like drones. I have had several instances of birds upset by my drone over the farm. One of the farmers in my local area had his Phantom 3 taken out by a Brown Falcon on his fourth flight.

As Just_nick advised, going up is best option.

Sounds exactly right.  I can't tell you how startled I was, but now that I know..... thanks
2018-5-10
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

I’ve had a few instances of birds divebombing my drone, as soon as I notice any taking any interest I make sure to get out of there PDQ.
2018-5-10
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-5-9 19:15
Keep birds away from the aircraft as the noise may irritate them.

hehehe you're funny.  Nothing worse than an irritated bird
2018-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules