Wavy footage from phantom 4 pro
3641 23 2018-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vivekc
lvl.1

Hello,

I shot multiple days using my new Phantom 4 Pro for a documentary and upon reviewing the footage it turns out that all the footage is wavy, as if the footage is being projected on a cloth and the cloth is waving in the wind. While shooting using the phone on the controller, this wasn't visible because of the size of the screen but on my editing system it looks wavy. I also tried using the warp stabilizer effect on adobe premiere pro but that also doesn't seem to help it. I haven't checked all of my shots yet because there is a big bank of data but on viewing a lot of it, it looks like every clip has the same problem. Has someone else experienced this? And is there a way to rectify it as I really have to salvage this data. Please help.

2018-5-9
Use props
Blu_Kerry
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6516 ft
  • >>>

I have this same issue.  Hoping there is a fix for footage taken...and for preventing it in future.  Any tips?
2018-5-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi vivekc, we're sorry about this. Does the issue appear recently? May I know what's the current firmware? Please try to calibrate IMU and do gimbal calibration to see whether the issue remains.  
2018-5-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Blu_Kerry Posted at 2018-5-10 05:31
I have this same issue.  Hoping there is a fix for footage taken...and for preventing it in future.  Any tips?

Hi Kerry, has the drone been involved in the crash or hard landing before? If not, please refer the above suggestions, try to refresh the firmware and do gimbal calibration.
2018-5-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

That effect is caused by vibration in the camera. It can be brought about by the gimbal motors vibrating, or something stopping the rubber suspension from performing properly or unbalanced propellers.

To isolate the problem, switch on the aircraft while sitting on a table, and examine the camera carefully to see if it is vibrating. Try touching the camera gently to check for vibration. If it is vibrating, then it needs to be adjusted by DJI.

If that is not the issue, then try fitting the props and start the motors to see if that causes vibration. If it does, it is worth changing the props for a new set to try and cure it. TRhe last resort is to balancve the props.

To salvage your footage, try Mercalli, it is the best for stabilising the footage, but it only works on Windows machines: https://www.prodad.com/Video-Sta ... i-V2-Plug-Ins-29800,l-us.html

2018-5-13
Use props
vivekc
lvl.1

India

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-5-13 20:23
Hi vivekc, we're sorry about this. Does the issue appear recently? May I know what's the current firmware? Please try to calibrate IMU and do gimbal calibration to see whether the issue remains.

I bought the drone 2 months ago and have been shooting with it ever since in a remote area. While I was shooting using my phone, I could see none of the wavy footage because maybe at that screen size it wasn't perceptible. So yes the issue appeared recently but my drone is also recent. I checked again to see that some of the footage has been shot without the wavy footage but that is only some while the rest has that wavy footage. Also in the wavy footage, some shots are way more wavy than others. So i dont know what causes and I am scared to fly it because i have no idea what to expect and dont even know what i am doing wrong.

About the firmware version, it just says 'Latest Firmware' and even when i go to the About section I don't see the name of the firmware version.

I just did the IMU and gimbal calibration too and will take it tomorrow morning and post back here again about any possible improvements.

But I am really concerned about the footage, is there a way to do something about that? Please help. It is really important footage and is there a way to stabilise it. Also, my drone hasn't flown into an obstruction or anything so i don't know why this should have happened that too with a brand new drone with the latest firmware. Shouldn't you take a little more responsibility rather than just suggesting a calibration.
2018-5-18
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

vivekc Posted at 2018-5-18 23:48
I bought the drone 2 months ago and have been shooting with it ever since in a remote area. While I was shooting using my phone, I could see none of the wavy footage because maybe at that screen size it wasn't perceptible. So yes the issue appeared recently but my drone is also recent. I checked again to see that some of the footage has been shot without the wavy footage but that is only some while the rest has that wavy footage. Also in the wavy footage, some shots are way more wavy than others. So i dont know what causes and I am scared to fly it because i have no idea what to expect and dont even know what i am doing wrong.

About the firmware version, it just says 'Latest Firmware' and even when i go to the About section I don't see the name of the firmware version.

Geebax has given a good reply in post 5, and more detail in this post

If the vibration is caused by a fault in the gimbal motors then I would expect DJI would repair under warranty'  (could it be sand or dust contamination ? ).
2018-5-19
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Interesting video. I was always wondering how opium harvesting works.
2018-5-19
Use props
vivekc
lvl.1

India

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-13 20:55
That effect is caused by vibration in the camera. It can be brought about by the gimbal motors vibrating, or something stopping the rubber suspension from performing properly or unbalanced propellers.

To isolate the problem, switch on the aircraft while sitting on a table, and examine the camera carefully to see if it is vibrating. Try touching the camera gently to check for vibration. If it is vibrating, then it needs to be adjusted by DJI.

Thanks for the explanation. Well, I tried the Mercalli for Mac and also V4 Sal+ but nothing works. Thanks anyway. If the world has a way to help me get salvage the data, then please help. Thanks
2018-5-19
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>

Are you using the Mechanical or ES shutter? Not sure it makes any difference, (it does with other cameras however).  With a ES shutter you can sometimes get this effect even if there is not wind blowing or an issue with a subject moving across the frame.

Paul Caldwell
2018-5-19
Use props
vivekc
lvl.1

India

Aardvark Posted at 2018-5-19 00:16
Geebax has given a good reply in post 5, and more detail in this post

If the vibration is caused by a fault in the gimbal motors then I would expect DJI would repair under warranty'  (could it be sand or dust contamination ? ).

I read Geebax's full post and it was quite an informative read. About dust or sand contamination, well I took it brand new out of the box and even the first few shots have this so I don't think dust or sand have to do anything with it.
2018-5-19
Use props
vivekc
lvl.1

India

paul2660 Posted at 2018-5-19 03:26
Are you using the Mechanical or ES shutter? Not sure it makes any difference, (it does with other cameras however).  With a ES shutter you can sometimes get this effect even if there is not wind blowing or an issue with a subject moving across the frame.

Paul Caldwell

I don't quite know. I guess it depends on what the Phantom 4 Pro has.
2018-5-19
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>

vivekc Posted at 2018-5-19 03:30
I don't quite know. I guess it depends on what the Phantom 4 Pro has.

You have an option for Mechanical shutter on the pro.

Under camera settings, you can switch it pn/off.  As I recall on my P4 Pro, the default was Mechanical shutter on.  But worth a check.   

It's under camera settings under stills as i remember, but effects both Video and stills.

Paul Caldwell
2018-5-19
Use props
djiuser_flbJN6dTrq2r
lvl.3

United States

Just a thought for the OP. Have you removed the gray foam on top of the camera. It's used to keep the camera steady during shipping but can be removed after purchase and before flying
2018-5-20
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

paul2660 Posted at 2018-5-19 03:35
You have an option for Mechanical shutter on the pro.

Under camera settings, you can switch it pn/off.  As I recall on my P4 Pro, the default was Mechanical shutter on.  But worth a check.   

The mechanical shutter is only a factor when shooting stills if I'm not mistaken.

--Jim
2018-5-20
Use props
vivekc
lvl.1

India

djiuser_flbJN6dTrq2r Posted at 2018-5-20 07:28
Just a thought for the OP. Have you removed the gray foam on top of the camera. It's used to keep the camera steady during shipping but can be removed after purchase and before flying

Yeah it said remove this before flying so we did. But even if someone forgets it, can that produce this sort of a jello effect on the footage?!
2018-5-21
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

vivekc Posted at 2018-5-21 21:31
Yeah it said remove this before flying so we did. But even if someone forgets it, can that produce this sort of a jello effect on the footage?!

Sure it could as you would take out one axis of the gimbal stability and transfer all vibrations/movement from the aircraft to the gimbal arm.
2018-5-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

vivekc Posted at 2018-5-18 23:48
I bought the drone 2 months ago and have been shooting with it ever since in a remote area. While I was shooting using my phone, I could see none of the wavy footage because maybe at that screen size it wasn't perceptible. So yes the issue appeared recently but my drone is also recent. I checked again to see that some of the footage has been shot without the wavy footage but that is only some while the rest has that wavy footage. Also in the wavy footage, some shots are way more wavy than others. So i dont know what causes and I am scared to fly it because i have no idea what to expect and dont even know what i am doing wrong.

All right, please keep us posted on the latest progress. If still no luck, I'm sorry that you may consider sending the unit in for diagnosis.
2018-5-23
Use props
Brent Turner
lvl.2

I too just noticed this effect from a recent video shoot. The wind was gusty during the shoot. I thought perhaps this was the cause. I'm using firmware 01.03.0600 if this helps with this issue.
2018-5-24
Use props
Chipensaw
New
United States

I too have the same issue.  Latest firmware and multiple IMU and Gimbal calibration, all successful.  Any news on this issue?  Any success stories?
2019-5-8
Use props
Bijay Gurung
New
Nepal

I am too having the same issue with my new Phantom 4 pro V 2.0 . with latest updates . Used to have same wavy footages sometimes with my old Phantom 4 pro . don't know how to solve . there is no way .  
2021-3-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Bijay Gurung Posted at 3-10 20:13
I am too having the same issue with my new Phantom 4 pro V 2.0 . with latest updates . Used to have same wavy footages sometimes with my old Phantom 4 pro . don't know how to solve . there is no way .

It would help if you could post an example to show the issue
2021-3-10
Use props
fansd38ee061
New
United States

I’m just gonna leave this here (had the same jelly jiggle footage but promptly fixed it!) It’s unfortunate that the vibration dampeners aren’t as structurally sound but an oring roughly the same interior diameter should do the trick! And I placed a split oring inside  all of the dampeners front and back!
Image.jpeg
Image.jpegss.jpeg
2022-10-14
Use props
fansd38ee061
New
United States

fansd38ee061 Posted at 10-14 14:39
I’m just gonna leave this here (had the same jelly jiggle footage but promptly fixed it!) It’s unfortunate that the vibration dampeners aren’t as structurally sound but an oring roughly the same interior diameter should do the trick! And I placed a split oring inside  all of the dampeners front and back!

2022-10-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules