Testing, learning and having a great deal of fun -
452 15 2018-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

The following video is not particularly inviting, or especially beautiful and landmarking, so please read this first.

A friend and I decided to fly in the green spring meadows with our Mavic Pro drones. We wanted to test their ability to withstand the fresh wind, with gusts in between. Of course we also wanted to test our own abilities, in the hilly terrain both high and low.

My own MP really came on a hard job when it was on the top of a hill, flying into a powerful side wind. Of course, I was aware of what would happen, and I was looking for it completely voluntarily. My intention was to find out if the MP could do the job without having to switch to Sports mode. It barely could, and had a hard time doing so.

Watch the clip from approx. 2:06 and a little minute ahead. As I give full Pitch straight ahead, my MP gets pushed farther and farther to the left. I correct by using Yaw to the right, to get the nose in the intended direction, towards the wind. Slowly but surely the drone got a little more speed, in the relatively low altitude.
Personally, I'm still impressed with how much these small drones can withstand and how stable their tiny cameras really are.
Well done DJI.

2018-5-10
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Hi Fly. I can relate to your tests. I have flown my Pro in heavy winds up to 50kmh praying all the while but this little drone shocked me and stood its ground.
2018-5-10
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

Suren Posted at 2018-5-10 07:23
Hi Fly. I can relate to your tests. I have flown my Pro in heavy winds up to 50kmh praying all the while but this little drone shocked me and stood its ground.

Thanks for commenting. Yes, he's a strong little fella.
2018-5-10
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft

I have been sitting on my hands here in the UK waiting for some flying weather. I might have to try low=level or sport mode soon. Or I'll forget how to fly!!

2018-5-11
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

Dorset_Horn Posted at 2018-5-11 08:56
I have been sitting on my hands here in the UK waiting for some flying weather. I might have to try low=level or sport mode soon. Or I'll forget how to fly!!

That's not what’s going to happen. When you get better weather, just get out of the fields, turn off the obstacle's avoidance and fly calmly while keeping your tongue straight in your mouth. It's a lot of fun until the drone crashes on a slope to be found with the bottom up. Be careful.
2018-5-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Great video.
Yes, the MP can handle some wind.
I have shot some footage too yesterday (the last for now....) in some wind.
Have to find time to edit it.
2018-5-11
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Great video.  That wind was really going.  The MP handled it admirably.  Amazing these MP's are that is for sure.
2018-5-11
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Nice video buddy and a great test I would say, well done.

If you want to test your AC in wind or rain come here to Ireland, we have hurricanes compared to you guys. I can attest the Mavics are super aircraft and handle the wind admirably.    And I too congratulate DJI on the capabilities of the drones.
2018-5-11
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-5-11 10:16
Great video.
Yes, the MP can handle some wind.
I have shot some footage too yesterday (the last for now....) in some wind.

Thanks mate.
Looking forward to watch your footage.
2018-5-11
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-11 10:23
Great video.  That wind was really going.  The MP handled it admirably.  Amazing these MP's are that is for sure.

Thank you SparksBird.
2018-5-11
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

M2Wair Posted at 2018-5-11 10:29
Nice video buddy and a great test I would say, well done.

If you want to test your AC in wind or rain come here to Ireland, we have hurricanes compared to you guys. I can attest the Mavics are super aircraft and handle the wind admirably.    And I too congratulate DJI on the capabilities of the drones.

Thank you John.
You can keep your windy, but beautiful Ireland to your self... We don't need that kind of wind on this side of the pond.
2018-5-11
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

An interesting experiment and, as you say, the machine handled it well.  But if it has to do maximum revs of the motors just to stand still against the wind, in effect, I wonder what that strain might do to the long-life of the motors, eventually. Might they wear out more quickly?  A point to consider perhaps. Meantime, keep enjoying your flights. Thanks for the share.
2018-5-11
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

any excuse to fly your drone is a good one :-)
2018-5-11
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-5-11 12:58
An interesting experiment and, as you say, the machine handled it well.  But if it has to do maximum revs of the motors just to stand still against the wind, in effect, I wonder what that strain might do to the long-life of the motors, eventually. Might they wear out more quickly?  A point to consider perhaps. Meantime, keep enjoying your flights. Thanks for the share.

That's the thing. The quad don't do max. revs. in normal mode, and I'm sure had I switched to sports mode, it would have handled that wind like a wild beast.
2018-5-11
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-5-11 12:59
any excuse to fly your drone is a good one :-)

You are absolutely right.
2018-5-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

FlyDK Posted at 2018-5-11 12:47
Thanks mate.
Looking forward to watch your footage.

If it is good enough you will find it here