1205 9 2018-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Johnran
lvl.3
Flight distance : 571 ft
United Kingdom

Can anyone help please?  
I often have the map cached on my ipad mini 4 cellular (but no sim card) and go out of wifi range and the map stays there, even if the DJI app is not running.  
But sometimes it doesn't, the cached map is gone.  

Is there any way of permanently keeping the cached map locked in on the Ipad?

John

2018-5-10
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi John, have you reinstalled the DJI GO4 app or cleared the cache? If it persists, please change a mobile device and try it again. Thanks!
2018-5-10
Use props
Johnran
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-5-10 23:28
Hi John, have you reinstalled the DJI GO4 app or cleared the cache? If it persists, please change a mobile device and try it again. Thanks!

Hi Diana,

Not I haven't reinstalled the DJI GO4 app or cleared the cache.  

Can you explain what you mean about changing a mobile device, do you mean get another ipad?  

That's an expensive test.

Kind regards,
John
2018-5-10
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Johnran Posted at 2018-5-10 23:37
Hi Diana,

Not I haven't reinstalled the DJI GO4 app or cleared the cache.  

Hi John, thanks for your update, in order to do the troubleshooting, you can try another mobile device (an android or IOS phone, maybe you can borrow one) to check if it happens again.
Try the below steps to cache the maps on your device:
Connect your device to the Internet, open DJI GO4, go to the flying location on the map, zoom into the desired zoom level, scroll around on the map to load the map images in all areas where you want to fly. Thanks!
2018-5-11
Use props
Johnran
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-5-11 00:34
Hi John, thanks for your update, in order to do the troubleshooting, you can try another mobile device (an android or IOS phone, maybe you can borrow one) to check if it happens again.
Try the below steps to cache the maps on your device:
Connect your device to the Internet, open DJI GO4, go to the flying location on the map, zoom into the desired zoom level, scroll around on the map to load the map images in all areas where you want to fly. Thanks!

Thanks Diana,
I did try an Android Huwaei device originally but the picture kept freezing, so I changed to iPad 4 mini which has been excellent.

It is a cellular iPad but without a sim-card so unless I am in wifi range I can't re-cache the maps.

My friend has a similar issue with his DJI spark and DJI Mavic Air also with a iPad mini 3.  So I am reluctant to substitute the iPad, which is only a few months old.

Most of the time (outside of wifi range) the iPad seems to remember to keep the cached maps, but sometimes it is just gone and I was wondering if there is a reason for this.

Does the DJI GO4 app need to be running on the iPad (with the maps cached of course) when I leave wifi range?  

Is there a setting I have omitted to make on the app?

I have the 'Cache Map in Background' set to on (green) and 'Maximum Video Cache Capacity' set to 4GB.  I don't know if this is relevant though.  The 'Clear Cache Automatically' is set to off.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Kind regards,
John
2018-5-11
Use props
rparge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 173852 ft
United States

Are you turning the iPad completely off?
I have found that when you turn it off, the map cache is cleared.
2018-5-11
Use props
Johnran
lvl.3
United Kingdom

rparge Posted at 2018-5-11 06:53
Are you turning the iPad completely off?
I have found that when you turn it off, the map cache is cleared.

Thanks  for the idea. Yes that is a possibility, I will try that and see what happens on my iPad.  

If that is the case, perhaps DJI could fix this so that is stays cached?

Best,
John  
2018-5-11
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Johnran Posted at 2018-5-11 07:13
Thanks  for the idea. Yes that is a possibility, I will try that and see what happens on my iPad.  

If that is the case, perhaps DJI could fix this so that is stays cached?

Hi John, please try it and let us know the update, thanks!
2018-5-12
Use props
Johnran
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-5-12 00:44
Hi John, please try it and let us know the update, thanks!

Hi Diana and rparge,
I have just done a test by caching the map, leaving the DJIGO4 app running (but with the ipad in sleep mode), driving 2 miles so well away from the wifi range - but within the cached map area, and the cached map was still there.

I then switched out of the DJIGO4 app, then back in, and the cached map was still there.

Next was to leave the app running but switch off the iPad completely.  On switching back on the cached map was still there.

Last test (repeated a few times) was to switch out of the DJIGO4 app, and shut down the iPad.  Guess what, on switching it all back on the cached map was still there.

So my question is, under what circumstances does the cache disappear?

I haven't reloaded the app.   Switching off the app or the iPad seems to have no effect, but occasionally and for no apparent reason the cached map is gone.  

Could it be that after a few days the cache deletes itself?  I had not used the Mavic for a few days when it happened.  

It would be good to find out.

Best,
John
2018-5-12
Use props
Johnran
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Johnran Posted at 2018-5-12 06:37
Hi Diana and rparge,
I have just done a test by caching the map, leaving the DJIGO4 app running (but with the ipad in sleep mode), driving 2 miles so well away from the wifi range - but within the cached map area, and the cached map was still there.

Lost the map cache again today swapping between the GO4 software to the GS software and I was out of cellular phone reception range, so I could not even try a hotspot method from my phone to my ipad.

But by pinching in the map to cover a very large area, the maps came back strangely!  

Does anyone know why?

John
2018-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules