My drone disconnected, flew off and disappeared at 80m above take...
43891 20 2018-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kerrysky
lvl.1
Flight distance : 468415 ft

Last week i lost my mavic pro in what i can only call a masssive failure of the devices fail safes. Ive started a case with dji but i can get little explaination out of them as to what went wrong so i hope someone can help me here.   I took off the drone, waited for the home point to be set then proceeded to fly it away from me towards the west. About one minute in my dji googles live feed froze as i was disconnected. At the same time the controller disconnected and the drone continued to fly forward, and fly away. I tried a return home, but by at that point it was too late and the controller made an unusual flat sounding beep noise. I turned the controller on and off several times but i could not reconnect what ever i tried to do and by now I presume drone had continued to fly off on its course, following the last input i gave it. I could no longer hear it.
After that I went straight to my find my phone option and walked to the last heading. Of course the last know position of my drone is the point at which it disconnected at 80m above the take off point.
Thinking about it now, the drone had been behaving a little out of character during the last few flights. It had developed a habit of disconnecting briefly from time to time and the signal seemed a lot weaker when i flew it, even when over head. I thought there was something wrong with my iPhone cable, so i had brought a second cable to on the day of the incident and hoped that would sort out the disconnection problem, but of course this was something much more serious then that.
On the day of the incident i had flown the drone at same location and it had worked without any incident. The only thing i will say is that the frame rate of live feed did seem a bit more choppy then usual at times.
The moment the drone disconnected it should have immediately returned to home. I will also note that the sound of the engine was a little higher pitched then usual on its last flight.
If there was any chance of recovering my drone i would have taken it. After all our adventures I’d grown  attached to it and i hate the thought of leaving it on some mountain side for the rest of time. But if its find my drone thing only marks the position of disconnect 80m in the air what hope is there? Going at 28 km an hour and ascending with a full battery it could have gone on from another 9km. I can only presume it would eventually have come to a mountain ridge that was higher then 500m and would have hovered until it ran out of battery. But since there is kms of rough mountain terrain to explore where it went, It would be a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack.  My drone is still in warrenty but im only being offered 30 percent discount off a new one. In my opinion this is very unfair and i really think dji should be taking this more seriously. If drones are disconnecting and flying off the radar then sure they are a danger to the public.  I hope someone on here can shed light on it. As it stands there is no way i am ever buying another dji drone until i know what went wrong here, i couldnt possibly trust it not to go wrong again.  I was wondering if any other users have experienced such a failure. I was also wondering what would it take to convince dji that my drone malfuntioned and i am entitled to a warrenty. I also feel that dji should be a bit more concerned about their drones doing this surely they could be a danger to the public, theres even a posiblity of one crashing into an aircraft if they go out of control like my one did.  
2018-5-10
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 406076 ft
  • >>>

Sorry to hear this.  Might I suggest that you should upload your flight logs to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/.  There are some very experience folks here that could tell you where to start looking for recovery and why.  I would start with the upload first.
2018-5-10
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Upload your fly log file to Phantomhelp and then post the link to it here.
2018-5-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

We are sincerely sorry for the unpleasant experience. May I have your case number please. Thank you
2018-5-10
Use props
dwin1977
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2730026 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lonesome Crow Posted at 2018-5-10 11:28
Sorry to hear this.  Might I suggest that you should upload your flight logs to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/.  There are some very experience folks here that could tell you where to start looking for recovery and why.  I would start with the upload first.

This is a very sad story but I have to pause for a moment to love your avatar.
2018-5-10
Use props
dwin1977
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2730026 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree the flight logs will help DJI remove pilot error from the equation.
2018-5-10
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Tough break there fella, like others have said upload your logs and who knows somebody might come up with a reason.
2018-5-10
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Sorry about the loss Guy, post the flight logs like mentioned above so that the guys can see what caused the issue and maybe you will get the co-ordinates of where the drone went down
2018-5-10
Use props
Kerrysky
lvl.1

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-5-10 14:36
We are sincerely sorry for the unpleasant experience. May I have your case number please. Thank you

Thanks a million. my case number is CAS-1760366-L4J1P8    All im getting from the support eu at the moment is that they can see nothing unusual about my flight data even though the flight ends with the drone disappearing at 80m above the take off point. Surely its as plain as day that the drone disconnected of its own accord and I couldn't possibly have done anything to make it do that. I had a plain line of sight with the drone when it disconnected and anyway, if the drone had been behaving normally surely it should have returned to home automatically when it disconnected.  Do you think it would be worth sending them the data of remote controller?
2018-5-11
Use props
Kerrysky
lvl.1

Lonesome Crow Posted at 2018-5-10 11:28

Thanks, I have uploaded them, will they automaticly go somewhere where the experts can look at them?
2018-5-11
Use props
Kerrysky
lvl.1

this is a screen shot of the moment the flight ended. shows the drone disapearing at 85m above take off point
2018-5-11
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kerrysky Posted at 2018-5-11 00:05
Thanks, I have uploaded them, will they automaticly go somewhere where the experts can look at them?

No. After uploading your flight log, you'll need to post the link to that page here so others can find that page.
2018-5-11
Use props
RBDrone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 52238 ft
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-5-10 14:36

The same thing happened to me. I was nowhere near the maximun range, and reguardless, it should have returned home.  I went to where it shows to be the last place the drone was seen and spent the entire weekend searching there, and about 1000 yard radius around that area and it was never found.

I sent in my log with a description of what happened and never even got so much as a response, much less a case number
2018-5-11
Use props
Kerrysky
lvl.1

msinger Posted at 2018-5-11 03:43
No. After uploading your flight log, you'll need to post the link to that page here so others can find that page.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/APB86IJU514Y583LQXSC/

heres the log for you
2018-5-12
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

RBDrone Posted at 2018-5-11 12:13
The same thing happened to me. I was nowhere near the maximun range, and reguardless, it should have returned home.  I went to where it shows to be the last place the drone was seen and spent the entire weekend searching there, and about 1000 yard radius around that area and it was never found.

I sent in my log with a description of what happened and never even got so much as a response, much less a case number

WOW, that is too bad. Can you upload a log on a different post so we don't hijack this thread. There are some guys here that can help sort it out. Sad that DJI didn't even respond.
2018-5-12
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

Funny, DJI head manager told me they never have these kinds of problems...... Seems like in fact, these problems are very common. Hope DJI steps up and helps.
2018-5-12
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kerrysky Posted at 2018-5-12 04:51
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/APB86IJU514Y583LQXSC/

heres the log for you

Your flight log does not show anything unusual. Since your Mavic did not return home, the battery most likely failed or it dislodged mid-flight.
2018-5-12
Use props
JAHamskunk
lvl.1
United States

This is not the first story I have heard of these "run away" mavic air drones.  It makes me really nervous to fly mine at any kinda distance..........unfortunately, I started hearing them after my purchase.  fingers crossed I guess
2018-5-12
Use props
Kerrysky
lvl.1

I guess i wont get any justice here, for what its worth ill stick to buying 100 euro drones from now on. 1000 euro really is worth it for something that will fly off into a mountain of its own accord
2018-5-12
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

At the end.....of a 30 second flight,  your battery percentage is showing 98%

Your cell voltage is showing 3.78vdc to 3.8vdc per cell........I have posted battery and cell voltage info on other threads.......your cell voltage is not represented by the 98%.

Your cell voltage is closer to 45-55%..............HOWEVER that should NOT cause loss of data or GPS, or downlink, that should NOT HAVE BEEN a problem.  Stay on top of DJI...be persistent.

This is the 6th thread I have reviewed for voltage vs reported battery percent shown on screen.  NOT GOOD and needs to be fixed!  MA, MP, MPP P4P, Inspire.......happens to often.

Randy
2018-5-12
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10326581 ft
Canada

so very sorry for your loss, I sincerely hope that DJI will help you out with that situation. keep us posted.
2018-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules