INSPIRE: Don't move without resetting home location)
1387 4 2015-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
copterviewdev
New

Germany

Hi there,

here is an report and advice for all, who walk and fly with their inspire:

I recently hat to follow a target in a convertable car while fiming a scene. And althought I had +30%  power left the RC warned me, that the inspire will return home?!
Checking the power (30%) I was confused and did not realize what will happen next. (I was not ahead of drone ) After 10s warning, the inspire turned arround a flew back directly to the launch position, which was about 2,5km back.

What next: Unfortunatly I cruized at that moment of the incedent at 2m altitude. Myself I was sitting on the backseat of the car right behind at the direct line between the inspires position and the launch location. So I faced an automatic flying home device with almost full speed. Thank you - Bummer!

Reaction: On impulse I pushed pitch back and up and the inspire stopped and climbed. Afterwards I manually landed the device at that position.

Problem: First of all, we had to retake the scene.
Second, there is no Pilot follow option at inspire's pilot app. So do never forget to press new return position every 2min when fly&follow.
Third: I you see a warning on your screen remeber to press the home button within 10s to abort the automatic fly home function. I seems strang to abort the function with the home button, but it is the only button whiach makes sense at that moment!

So, hopefully my advice avoided you to experience the same situation. AND: I hope there is a pilot follow home option soon.
2015-5-11
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

Isn't this where the Dynamic Home Point option would be used?
I was under the impression that when the pilot is moving, say doing a car chase, you can continue to update the RTH location by using the DHP so the new home point is registered to the location of the RC.
If I am travelling a distance of, lets say 5KM in a car, could I not just keep updating the RTH with DHP?
I have not tried it yet while actually moving (car, boat etc) but I have used the DHP, while walking across a field for example, and it works well.
2015-5-11
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

Hi copter...,

I scrutinized your story to understand what went wrong.

2.5 km away from take off could take the battery down to 30% (Looks normal).
But at that moment, the Inspire1 platform was inspired enough to calculate that whatever was left in the battery (30%) was just enough to make it back home.
Think of it as "Point of no return"
So it decided to RTH.

And if the bird had to fly against the wind back home, maybe it would NOT make it back home with only 30%
So that would be another pilot error.

In my opinion this situation is created due to pilot error.

No bad feelings please, we are all here to learn.
Thanks for the story. I learned something here.
2015-5-11
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-5-12 01:42
Isn't this where the Dynamic Home Point option would be used?
I was under the impression that when t ...

Correct Sky,

But one would still have issues.
And DHP does not update automatic. You have to push the button each time to do so.
2015-5-11
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

dundee Posted at 2015-5-12 01:56
Correct Sky,

But one would still have issues.

I saw this on a video, god knows where, but every 2-3 minutes while flying in the car, he was continually resetting the DHP mid flight.  So, I think it serves it's purpose.
I have not yet tried but will with a grain of salt and give you all some feedback.  maybe someone has already done this after all the new updates and can shed some light.
2015-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules