Shooting D-LOG and D-CINELIKE with Sharpness +1
2476 14 2018-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DonPaco
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2861 ft

Hello everyone,
for colorgrading purposes i want to shoot my videos in either D-LOG or D-CINELIKE. But when shooting in these settings with my settings at sharpness +1, my footage get alot of grain (see attached video). I read that mavic willl NOT do noise reduction on +1 but is this normal? How can i fix it? I already reset all the settings of the mavic.

video settings:
tried 4k 24fps, 4k 30fps, 2k 24 fps, 2k 30 fps
shot at 100 ISO

app version: 4.2.14
firmware: 01.04.0300

yours,
Peter
2018-5-10
Use props
DonPaco
lvl.1

On this youtube video it seems alot less somehow. maybe because its set to 1080p?
2018-5-10
Use props
MaineMavick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169524 ft
United States

Keep sharpness at zero and shoot flat. Color correct in editing.
2018-5-10
Use props
DonPaco
lvl.1

MaineMavick Posted at 2018-5-10 16:05
Keep sharpness at zero and shoot flat. Color correct in editing.

So with flat you mean you keep contract and saturation at 0? Or do you mean a higher exposure too ?
2018-5-10
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Those that use +1 sharpness tend to use it to stop the Mavic using it's onboard noise reduction. So we are expecting noise to be evident. I for one then use Neat Video with The Film Poets Mavic noise reduction profile - and it works a treat. It does mean an investment in the extra software and processing time.
2018-5-11
Use props
DonPaco
lvl.1

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2018-5-11 01:59
Those that use +1 sharpness tend to use it to stop the Mavic using it's onboard noise reduction. So we are expecting noise to be evident. I for one then use Neat Video with The Film Poets Mavic noise reduction profile - and it works a treat. It does mean an investment in the extra software and processing time.

yeah i tried the demo and i find the results kinda blurry. Best way is to just choose and apply the correct mavic profile? Do i need to buy the profile or can i download them?
2018-5-11
Use props
MaineMavick
lvl.4

DonPaco Posted at 2018-5-10 22:41
So with flat you mean you keep contract and saturation at 0? Or do you mean a higher exposure too ?

If you're editing the raw DNG on the computer all the color info will still be recorded even if it seems a little flat or colorless on the phone while recording.

If you're using a program like final cut or premiere you'll be able to bring the colors out.
2018-5-11
Use props
MaineMavick
lvl.4

These were shot in D-cinelike with all adjustments at zero.
2018-5-11
Use props
DonPaco
lvl.1

I always feel like that when mavics handles the noise himself at 0 that the footage is kinda blurry. Can i fix that with sharpening in Premiere ?
2018-5-11
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

DonPaco Posted at 2018-5-11 12:42
I always feel like that when mavics handles the noise himself at 0 that the footage is kinda blurry. Can i fix that with sharpening in Premiere ?

Nope - simple answer as the blurriness is baked into the frame in areas that are below a certain contrast threshold. As you are flying along these areas will be changing all the time - so hard to track. Which you would have to do, to create a mask for each of these areas - otherwise you'd be sharpening the whole image including 'good' areas which would then be overly 'crisp and crunchy'.
2018-5-12
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I keep my values set at D-Cinelike with sharpness at -1.
2018-5-12
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

This is quite normal what you are seeing.  The Mavic turns off noise reduction when using +1.  As mentioned you can use Neat Video to remove the noise but is very time consuming.  Here is FilmPoet's video explaining this.  

I purchased his corrective LUT and it is very good.  
2018-5-12
Use props
DonPaco
lvl.1

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-12 07:36
This is quite normal what you are seeing.  The Mavic turns off noise reduction when using +1.  As mentioned you can use Neat Video to remove the noise but is very time consuming.  Here is FilmPoet's video explaining this.  https://youtu.be/r2m5FpaOpJ8

I purchased his corrective LUT and it is very good.

cool so buy the product fromt he first link > https://sellfy.com/p/ZGBQ/
and then buy the LUT from the film poets.
Dont mind if its time consuming. as long as i can make great material im up for it.

Did anyone find good comparison for +0 and +1 with neat?
2018-5-12
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

DonPaco Posted at 2018-5-12 19:25
cool so buy the product fromt he first link > https://sellfy.com/p/ZGBQ/
and then buy the LUT from the film poets.
Dont mind if its time consuming. as long as i can make great material im up for it.

Hi Don Paco.

I have been trying all this things and try to compare the settings.
you cand find some results and discussions about in the threds below.

When you use a "flat" profile you need to edit a little bit more
see the tutorials in this links (I used that technique and it works for me)

https://forum.dji.com/thread-143825-1-1.html
https://forum.dji.com/thread-143303-1-1.html

https://forum.dji.com/thread-145363-1-1.html

I would say that I spend 5 more minutes per clip now with d-log compared to D-cinelike
I would say that there is one more factor that influences on noise and that is light. There is of course more noise in the darker parts.

You asked a question about contrast and saturation, try  -1 on both of them and compare it with 0 it's about your own taste here. This have nothing to do with exposure.

I have personally don't tried neat so I can't help you there.

Good luck and happy flying
2018-5-12
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Did anyone find good comparison for +0 and +1 with neat? Yes works great in Davinci Resolve 15 (free) but I still goes to dlog style 0,-2,-2 . on UHD 30 fps
when 4k 24fps I used the neat V4
2018-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules