2593 25 2018-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wanted to put a quick note out here, to let  folks know about my experience getting authorization to fly in restricted fly zones.

As you all well know, if you are within 5 miles of an airport/helipad/hospital w/helipad the airspace is restriced.  I'm planning a trip to Daytona Beach with my wife this weekend, and I plan to put the drone in the air.  I thought it may be useful to someone if i shared my experience.

I used AirMap and did a search for the address of the Hotel that we're staying in.  it placed me in several overlapping Restricted Zones.  It listed all of the airports/helipads that i needed to gain authorization from.  It turned out to be 6 different places that i needed to call.  So i proceeded to start making phone calls.

Within 10 minutes, I had actually gotten clearance to fly from all of the airports/helipads, and had actually gotten written authorization in the event that anyone stopped me to question me.

Here is all you need to make that phone call.

Your Name and contact information
The address of where you are flying
The maximum Altitude of your flight (be serious folks.  if you're in this space make sure your flight is under 400 feet)
The approximate time of your flights
Some may ask for the Make and Model of your drone
I've been asked once for my FAA Registration #.  (be prepared)

That's it.  After going through this a few times in the past few weeks, i've learned that they have always been very receptive to my flying.  The take the information and then simply say, "Thanks for calling in and letting us know.  Enjoy your flight"  
But today, I got a bonus.  Today, I spoke with a fellow drone pilot who is owner/operator at an airfield i needed to get authorization from.  This was the operator that sent me written approval so i would have something tangible while i'm flying.  He also gave me pointers about some of the banner planes that could possibly be in the area and their approximate altitude and how to avoid them.  all 6 calls i had to place today went very smooth andi had no issue getting the authorization I need to fly.

I hope that this helps someone that is nervous about making that call the first time.  It's a lot easier than you think to fly within the rules!!
2018-5-10
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience with us.
2018-5-10
Use props
Tridiver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4459344 ft
  • >>>

Do you have your part 107 license and/or asked for it??  Thx for that info, nice to know!!  Bolton
2018-5-10
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

Very good information thank you.
2018-5-11
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tridiver Posted at 2018-5-10 20:05
Do you have your part 107 license and/or asked for it??  Thx for that info, nice to know!!  Bolton

I do not have my Part 107 (yet).
None of the places I have called have asked for it.  
2018-5-11
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

3-D Posted at 2018-5-11 04:01
I do not have my Part 107 (yet).
None of the places I have called have asked for it.

Great info, This was going to be my question.
2018-5-11
Use props
ny300z
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

good to know! wish i knew that when i was in Daytona Beach 2 weeks ago. What i hated was knowing drones were not allowed and then seeing multiple people flying them over crowded beaches when its clear they have no idea what they are doing.

2018-5-11
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ny300z Posted at 2018-5-11 04:46
good to know! wish i knew that when i was in Daytona Beach 2 weeks ago. What i hated was knowing drones were not allowed and then seeing multiple people flying them over crowded beaches when its clear they have no idea what they are doing.

and that is EXACTLY what i want to avoid.  I'm certain that there are mavericks out there flying with no regard to the rules/laws.  

It is my goal to never, ever be counted in that number.  So, armed with my proper authorization, and knowledge that i can't stay over the crowded beach,  I've made plans to see sunrise/sunset and will only fly when it's not crowded.  besides, i think quiet beaches make better cinematography.
So, the next time you're in Daytona Beach, one of the places you'll have to call is listed as Halifax River.  The owner there is DOC Bailey.  He was awesome and he was the one that was quick to give me pointers and provide written authorization.  Even though you still have to call all of the other places, he was the only one to provide this.  But he mentioned that having one authorization is likely enought to curb anyone questioning the legality of your flight.  I have his letter printed out and stored in my camera/drone pack, and i also have the direct line of the tower at DAB and the date and time I requested and received authorization.  DAB said that they do not provide written authorization, but your information is documented and easily searchable.  If you are questioned at all, just give them the phone number and they can verify your authorization.
2018-5-11
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thx, 3-D.... I hope to be able to use a link to this post in the future.  There's sufficient whining about "rules" and how complicate they make life!  Probably took you less time to do this than making the travel plans in general !!!
2018-5-11
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

WebParrot Posted at 2018-5-11 04:59
Thx, 3-D.... I hope to be able to use a link to this post in the future.  There's sufficient whining about "rules" and how complicate they make life!  Probably took you less time to do this than making the travel plans in general !!!

absolutely!  it took me longer to make my hotel reservation, and i did that online!  I'm not kidding at all.  The only reason it took 10 minutes to complete all of the calls is because one person forgot they had a Helipad, and didn't know what i was talking about, and i spent 5 minutes talking to Doc Bailey about his Phantom and drone piloting in the area!
2018-5-11
Use props
ny300z
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-5-11 05:04
absolutely!  it took me longer to make my hotel reservation, and i did that online!  I'm not kidding at all.  The only reason it took 10 minutes to complete all of the calls is because one person forgot they had a Helipad, and didn't know what i was talking about, and i spent 5 minutes talking to Doc Bailey about his Phantom and drone piloting in the area!

haha thats awesome! great to hear man, hope you got some good shots its beautiful there.
2018-5-11
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-5-11 05:04
absolutely!  it took me longer to make my hotel reservation, and i did that online!  I'm not kidding at all.  The only reason it took 10 minutes to complete all of the calls is because one person forgot they had a Helipad, and didn't know what i was talking about, and i spent 5 minutes talking to Doc Bailey about his Phantom and drone piloting in the area!

Sounds like you need to find a coffee shop/bar to hang out with 'the Doc' and swap some stories ;-)
2018-5-11
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

WebParrot Posted at 2018-5-11 05:21
Sounds like you need to find a coffee shop/bar to hang out with 'the Doc' and swap some stories ;-)

honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that this is a Mother's Day trip with my wife, I would likely be heading over to his SeaPlane base and doing just that!  But since I kinda like being married, i'll probably try to do that another time.  
2018-5-11
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ny300z Posted at 2018-5-11 05:15
haha thats awesome! great to hear man, hope you got some good shots its beautiful there.

thanks!  i'll share upon my completion of editing.
2018-5-11
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-5-11 05:27
honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that this is a Mother's Day trip with my wife, I would likely be heading over to his SeaPlane base and doing just that!  But since I kinda like being married, i'll probably try to do that another time.

... a WISE decision ;-)   
2018-5-11
Use props
wjkrysak
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2957598 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the information. You remind us of the ease of authorization and how this builds relationships with the (shared) air space community. Enjoy your time in Daytona. We look forward to the videos.
2018-5-11
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

wjkrysak Posted at 2018-5-11 06:51
Thanks for the information. You remind us of the ease of authorization and how this builds relationships with the (shared) air space community. Enjoy your time in Daytona. We look forward to the videos.

I'm glad to help.  If more people know how easy it is, more people will do the right thing.  Just trying to do my part!
2018-5-11
Use props
Nikolay S Donev
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1290892 ft
Bulgaria

Thank you for sharing this with us!  I will be travelling to Minnesota next week, and so far I see that a lot of the areas in Minneapolis are full with helipads (such as Downtown) and I am wondering is it a good idea for a foreigner with registered drone (recreational purposes only) to fly anywhere near downtown?
2018-5-11
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nikolay S Donev Posted at 2018-5-11 15:27
Thank you for sharing this with us!  I will be travelling to Minnesota next week, and so far I see that a lot of the areas in Minneapolis are full with helipads (such as Downtown) and I am wondering is it a good idea for a foreigner with registered drone (recreational purposes only) to fly anywhere near downtown?

Are you using the AirMap application?  that made it really easy for me.
If you're not using the app on your phone, you can also go to http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/air-space-map/

it is powered by AirMap and will give you the same information.  just enter the address where you plan to be.  Then if you click on the circles, it will give you the phone numbers to call.

Just gather your info and make the calls.  it should be really easy.  I was never asked about my nationality, or even my permanent address.  Just contact phone number.

"Hello, my name is ___ and i'm calling to get authorization to fly my drone in your airspace."
or if you want to be bold...  "Hi, my name is ____ and i'm calling to notify you of a drone flight."

good luck
2018-5-11
Use props
Nikolay S Donev
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1290892 ft
Bulgaria

3-D Posted at 2018-5-11 17:32
Are you using the AirMap application?  that made it really easy for me.
If you're not using the app on your phone, you can also go to http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/air-space-map/

Great tips man, really appreciate it
2018-5-12
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nikolay S Donev Posted at 2018-5-12 14:17
Great tips man, really appreciate it

anything to help..   
2018-5-13
Use props
S.D. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

You did the right thing. The other day I called ATC and provided them a heads up b/c I was within 5 mile radius of an airport. They requested location, altitude, flight time, name and AC reggie #. They did not request my PT 107 info. Call took about 3 mins and he also said, enjoy and have a good day.
2018-5-13
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

S.D. Pilot Posted at 2018-5-13 05:43
You did the right thing. The other day I called ATC and provided them a heads up b/c I was within 5 mile radius of an airport. They requested location, altitude, flight time, name and AC reggie #. They did not request my PT 107 info. Call took about 3 mins and he also said, enjoy and have a good day.

Yep.  That's been my experience each time I've had to make the call.   The only time i've ever had an issue is when someone answered the call that didn't know what to do with the information.  Then the call took an additional 2 minutes or so...
2018-5-14
Use props
S.D. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-5-14 05:10
Yep.  That's been my experience each time I've had to make the call.   The only time i've ever had an issue is when someone answered the call that didn't know what to do with the information.  Then the call took an additional 2 minutes or so...

a couple of weeks ago, a guy p/u the phone and after I provided AGL/location/approx flight time, he didn't even ask any questions, he just said ok and have a good one...lol
2018-5-14
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

S.D. Pilot Posted at 2018-5-14 08:22
a couple of weeks ago, a guy p/u the phone and after I provided AGL/location/approx flight time, he didn't even ask any questions, he just said ok and have a good one...lol

haha!

One of the places i called for this weekend went like this:

Me: Hi, i'm calling to notify you of a drone flights between May 12 and May 14.

Operator:  huh?

Me: yes, you're listed as having a helipad, and I need to notify you of flights for this weekend.

Operator: Oh, yeah.  i forgot we have that helipad.  Ok, thanks!

Me: uh... you don't need altitude or other information?

Operator:  Nah, you're good.  thanks.

Me:  oh.  ok.
2018-5-14
Use props
S.D. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nice. Like it when it's easy breezy.
2018-5-14
Use props