FAA Allows ENG Use of UAV in Vegas
1032 7 2015-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TimG
lvl.1

United States

Just happens to be an ex-USAF fighter / bomber and predator drone pilot but it's a start.

Take a look:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news ... r-las-vegas-/275868

2015-5-11
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

The requirement that it maintain at least 500 feet of separation from any uninvolved persons is going to exclude most newsgathering activities.  I'm not sure how they're going to work around that in a place like Las Vegas.
2015-5-11
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

I'm curious whether altitude is part of the distance calculation.   Like if you're 300ft away but 200ft up does that qualify?
2015-5-11
Use props
TimG
lvl.1

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-12 10:11
I'm curious whether altitude is part of the distance calculation.   Like if you're 300ft away but 20 ...

My guess it's 500' horizontal.  I would think the logic is to create a safety zone for potential crashes. Vertical distance just creates more kinetic energy. . . . . but I'm not a government official. They're logic may be different.
2015-5-11
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

TimG Posted at 2015-5-12 15:13
My guess it's 500' horizontal.  I would think the logic is to create a safety zone for potential c ...

I'm going with TimG's interpretation, but even if you combine altitude into the equation - a lot of the time I'm using the aerial shot to establish a location or substitute for a track dolly, so the aircraft is anywhere from 5' to 50' up, not enough to be useful in that calculation.  Moreover - you have to take off from somewhere.  So if the property where you're operating is less than 500' from others, you can't initiate the flight in the first place.
2015-5-12
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

The even more interesting part of this is that a good majority of the strip and surrounding areas are all in a heavy flight path for Mccarren International Airport and is a huge no fly zone even on the main strip.  
2015-5-12
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-5-13 01:06
The even more interesting part of this is that a good majority of the strip and surrounding areas ar ...

Yeah, but news gets exemptions from all of that as long as they coordinate with the tower.  If the local network affiliate wants to put a drone up over the strip they call their contact at the tower and tell them; the tower puts out a temporary NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) and all's well.  But if you or I call up and say "I'm with Acme productions and we're shooting this project and need a shot of the strip," GOOD LUCK getting that approval unless you're one of the big guys.
2015-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules