700m away, weak image transmission
4297 19 2015-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jon.hopkins.1
lvl.2

United Kingdom

As the title suggests,

took my P3A out this evening, gorgeous evening no wind got 700 metres out (approx 40m up) and it started indicating that there was a weak image. As you can imagine, keeping my cool of course i started heading back to where i was. Would i be right in thinking this is due to image transmission being on auto, was it because the signal was unstable and should i have done the customer channel 20 trick?

Firmware up to date on controller, iOS app, Phantom & Battery
2015-5-11
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

Sorry to hear this.  Since you are in the UK...  I assume your drone is using the lower power CE mode.  (No way to set this...)

Many factors can affect range.  Terrain and other radio traffic are the two main causes.  If you are in an urban environment it's very difficult to get away from other 2.4 gHz signals that will reduce range.  Sun spot activity can also affect range.  

Were you out in open country or in an urban environment?
2015-5-11
Use props
chrisfromalbany
lvl.2

United States

i would kept going i see weak signal on my i1 all the time and keep going
2015-5-11
Use props
Jon.hopkins.1
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi tchavalas,

thanks for the reply.

Mostly open country, I was near a race track but it wasn't being used at the time. I guess there could have been some radio traffic which caused the interference. Do you suspect that in more remote areas of county away from urban areas the range would be better?
2015-5-11
Use props
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

Grrrrrr, I want the same as FCC, I dont want to be governed by software, I want full use of the aircraft as I did with my P2
2015-5-11
Use props
Jon.hopkins.1
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Yeah this isn't great, as a rookie it's not something you consider when purchasing a drone. Of course I did home work on features and CAA legislation but after reading through the specs and seeing the potential distances available I didn't consider it would be restricted I mean we're talking 3/4 of a KM here...
2015-5-11
Use props
Jon.hopkins.1
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Chris, I'm not sure I'd take your advice I'm afraid. The thought of loosing signal and the P3 hovering somewhere I know it's rough location or worse still crashing puts me off this! Thinking about it, what I'm talking about is a week video transmission this isn't and RC connection issue but the two go hand in hand. If you can't see where your going then you can't fly...
2015-5-11
Use props
nickmedici
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88287 ft
United States

Jon.hopkins.1@o Posted at 2015-5-12 06:35
Chris, I'm not sure I'd take your advice I'm afraid. The thought of loosing signal and the P3 hoveri ...

I think what he means is that he doesn't stop flying as soon as it says weak signal as it will indeed keep going with the live feed still intact while saying weak signal. Plus you always have Return to home. I lose connection all the time and have no problem as RTH works great.
2015-5-11
Use props
Jon.hopkins.1
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thinking back I don't think it was essentially a clear environment, I guess if the drone or any drone for that matter drops behind even just a few trees it will distort the signal. I'm going to go out again tomorrow and attempt a clear flight and report back for anyone else under CE restrictions who may be interested.

Thanks for the suggestions
2015-5-11
Use props
jpweather
lvl.2

United States

Was it unstable video or signal bars were low?  If it was unstable video enable hardware encode. It's on the first page of the settings that worked for me.
2015-5-11
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

buzzcbr@gmail.c Posted at 2015-5-12 05:48
Grrrrrr, I want the same as FCC, I dont want to be governed by software, I want full use of the airc ...

no need for FCC mode at all because the Phantom3 can do 6000m in CE mode.
2015-5-11
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Daninho Posted at 2015-5-12 08:57

Well.... In very optimal conditions perhaps (and going higher than you should). I have seen the video. I'm just saying - don't expect it. And be careful. That flight in the video was very risky (main risk; equipment loss).
2015-5-11
Use props
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

Daninho Posted at 2015-5-12 08:57

6000m ? - thats 6k and I dont thinks thats possible.

Do you mean 600 m, because I flew that today and it was still going, but I called it back.
2015-5-12
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

No, he means 6000m, 6060 to be exact (search for the vid on YouTube)
2015-5-12
Use props
amirchar
lvl.2
United States

Couple other things that can make a big difference is to make sure the transmitter antenna are not pointing at the bird... they need to be more perpendicular.  Also, the further out you go, the higher you need to be to make sure fewer obstacles.
2015-6-8
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Go up at least 100m before attempting distance. That will help.
2015-6-8
Use props
kenneth
lvl.1

United States

Jon.hopkins.1@o Posted at 2015-5-11 16:35
Chris, I'm not sure I'd take your advice I'm afraid. The thought of loosing signal and the P3 hoveri ...

which of the two motors models do you have? I have had the newer one and the image transmission worked likes a champ. The second one I have has the other  model of motors and keeps giving the weak image error.
2015-12-7
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

buzzcbr@gmail.c Posted at 2015-5-11 15:48
Grrrrrr, I want the same as FCC, I dont want to be governed by software, I want full use of the airc ...

You aren't governed by software. You're governed by your laws!  They are there for a reason.  Just because you don't know what those reasons are, or don't agree with them, doesn't make them any less important.
2015-12-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Actually in CE mode the range is 3.5km.
2015-12-7
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Way too many variables to know what the issue was but your P3 can go a lot further than that.
1st thing to check is your antennas - point the flat sides toward the Phantom.
Varying height and environmental conditions will change things.
Obstacles will definitely have an effect.

Get some practice with RTH so you understand it.
2015-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules