Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha,

After days of rain and VOG from the Big Island volcano problems (200 miles away), it looks like I can finally get in the air!  So, I get my baby out of her cradle and put her on the table and check for updates.  There are updates and everything is looking easy and upright!  Yeah, I will be able to fly tomorrow, yes!!!!!!  But something is missing!

Then I realize that I did not notice that the Gimbal Lock was still in place.  It blends in so well that I never noticed it.  My gimbal motors went through a conniption with the restraint of the gimbal lock and with the environmental noise and excitement, I never noticed it since I was looking for update issues, etc..  Luck for me, I almost never use the gimbal lock.  But, almost always when I do use the gimbal lock; I forget it is there because it blends in so well.  But, since it is a rare occurance, less damage occurs.  But over time, I am sure my bird wants another father who will take better care of her.  This is the BUT> BUT> BUT argument I have with my bird when I wake her up.  Of course it is all in my head - like that makes it all right!?!

May I suggest to the DJI Product Approval Department, that they make locks and other items like my gimbal lock a very contrasting color from other items in the same storage or over-night placement so we notice that these value-added items are in place.  I appreciate the efforts that DJI makes to help us keep the value of our equipment, but if we forget to take these devices off, it creates another problem that may cost just as much.  

Just a friendly suggestion DJI.  And if any of you readers are like me, just paint the part some random color that will stand out.  After all it is only a Gimbal Lock.

Aloha and Drone On!

2018-5-12
Use props
Oldav8tor
lvl.2
United States

Aloha,
Pilots of manned aircraft have a similar problem - pitot covers, gust locks, cowling plugs, etc.  Usually they are red or orange and they always have some type of red or orange ribbon attached (remove before flight). My suggestion, get a piece of orange surveyors tape or bright ribbon and glue it on the back of the gimble lock so you can't miss it. Alternatively, thread a piece of fish line thru a corner of the foam lock and tie the other end to the plastic camera brace so you can't miss it during set up.

A friend showing off his Phantom to me before I bought mine forgot to remove the foam block and the camera gimble went a little nuts (with warnings) while he was demonstrating it.  A good warning for me but I'm not sure whether he did permanent damage to his in the process...

2018-5-12
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Oldav8tor Posted at 2018-5-12 07:13
Aloha,
Pilots of manned aircraft have a similar problem - pitot covers, gust locks, cowling plugs, etc.  Usually they are red or orange and they always have some type of red or orange ribbon attached (remove before flight). My suggestion, get a piece of orange surveyors tape or bright ribbon and glue it on the back of the gimble lock so you can't miss it. Alternatively, thread a piece of fish line thru a corner of the foam lock and tie the other end to the plastic camera brace so you can't miss it during set up.

Great suggestion!
2018-5-12
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I rattlecanned my gimbal lock safety orange and let it dry for 7 days.  Really pops on an Obsidian Phantom.
2018-5-12
Use props
ManaRam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1528688 ft
United States

Yes some of us forget!!!
2018-5-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Thanks for your suggestion. This will be forwarded to our engineers for further review. It is recommended to add colorful tags on the gimbal lock for the moment.
2018-5-12
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-5-12 18:50
Thanks for your suggestion. This will be forwarded to our engineers for further review. It is recommended to add colorful tags on the gimbal lock for the moment.

Aloha Susan,

Mahalo for the help!  Will do.  The tape tag is a much less drastic approach than my suggestion to spray paint the lock.  You and Oldav8tor seem to be on the same path.  So much easier to just remove the tape if required.  The paint might be a little bit more difficult to remove.

Mahalo again for the help!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-5-12
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft

I bought a polar pro gimbal lock, it is black and much easier to notice, also much easier to get on and off.
2018-5-12
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 2018-5-12 20:37
I bought a polar pro gimbal lock, it is black and much easier to notice, also much easier to get on and off.

Aloha fansb1,

Mahalo for the information and observation.  When I realized the lock was still on, I squinted looking at it to make sure I was really seeing it and the squinting brought the issue to my attention.  Otherwise, I was just ready to fly!  The rest followed after that.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-5-12
Use props
babli_soager2007
New

Hong Kong

Thanks for your advise, we considered about it already .
2018-5-20
Use props
Inferno-Videos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 889688 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aloha buddy, I've been meaning to check in to see how you're doing since the volcano problem started, glad you and your family are far enough away and are safe. Have you tried flying anywhere near it yet, I bet you could get some stunning footage

As for the gimble lock issue, yes totally get where you're coming from, I always forget my P3P gimble lock as it's clear plastic so I may go and spray it with orange poster paint. Problem is not necessarily down to DJI as you can buy 3rd party parts and accessories from anywhere, so I think someone should make a brave move first then the industry will follow common sense. Maybe see if DJI, Parrot , Autel and Yuneec have a feedback page and write to them, if anyone of the other top manufacturers make the change DJI is bound to follow but they could also take the lead.

Keep safe, David.
2018-5-24
Use props
Inferno-Videos
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Inferno-Videos Posted at 2018-5-24 01:19
Aloha buddy, I've been meaning to check in to see how you're doing since the volcano problem started, glad you and your family are far enough away and are safe. Have you tried flying anywhere near it yet, I bet you could get some stunning footage

As for the gimble lock issue, yes totally get where you're coming from, I always forget my P3P gimble lock as it's clear plastic so I may go and spray it with orange poster paint. Problem is not necessarily down to DJI as you can buy 3rd party parts and accessories from anywhere, so I think someone should make a brave move first then the industry will follow common sense. Maybe see if DJI, Parrot , Autel and Yuneec have a feedback page and write to them, if anyone of the other top manufacturers make the change DJI is bound to follow but they could also take the lead.

I must just point out to anyone who decides to spray your own gimble locks, to only apply paint to the outter edges (ie not to any area that comes in contact with the gimble itself) as constant fitting and removal would rub the paint off and small particlas may get inside the gimble motors etc.. over time.
2018-5-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Inferno-Videos Posted at 2018-5-24 01:29
I must just point out to anyone who decides to spray your own gimble locks, to only apply paint to the outter edges (ie not to any area that comes in contact with the gimble itself) as constant fitting and removal would rub the paint off and small particlas may get inside the gimble motors etc.. over time.

Aloha David,

Good caveat about painting!  I just put blue painters tape in the broad flat areas until I come up with a better option.  But, It is way more easy to see!

On Oahu, we are over 200 miles away from the eruption but we get the VOG and that is a real pain!  There is also the concern that the activity could cause a landslide large enough to create a tsunami and that could take out our airport and most of Honolulu 45 minutes later.  Yikes!  Fortunately, I live on the other side of the island a mile away from the ocean and up a ridge to the Pali.  

We get new video two or three times a day.  It is still the big news story over here.  Previously, falling into a 30 foot lava tube was the scary story from the Big Island and those were yearly and usually involved dirt bikers going off trail into the jungle and down, down, down.  Such a young island.

Now it is looking our at your beautiful lawn one day and then seeing a giant fissure in that lawn the next day!  And spitting lava no less!  Scary!

Staying safe.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-5-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Inferno-Videos Posted at 2018-5-24 01:29
I must just point out to anyone who decides to spray your own gimble locks, to only apply paint to the outter edges (ie not to any area that comes in contact with the gimble itself) as constant fitting and removal would rub the paint off and small particlas may get inside the gimble motors etc.. over time.

Aloha David,

Oh, and your "Inferno-Videos" does come across well under these circumstances!  But most of the flying being done is prohibited.  The Volcano National Park was the first park I was aware of to ban drones.  My friend sent me a photo of a sign at the entrance just for a fun tease 3-4 years ago.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-5-24
Use props
Inferno-Videos
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cetacean Posted at 2018-5-24 02:52
Aloha David,

Oh, and your "Inferno-Videos" does come across well under these circumstances!  But most of the flying being done is prohibited.  The Volcano National Park was the first park I was aware of to ban drones.  My friend sent me a photo of a sign at the entrance just for a fun tease 3-4 years ago.

Aloha again,

Oh man real shame about the drone ban, but probably better you don't lose your drone in the pit of larva anyway.

Stay safe
2018-5-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Inferno-Videos Posted at 2018-5-24 04:05
Aloha again,

Oh man real shame about the drone ban, but probably better you don't lose your drone in the pit of larva anyway.

Aloha David,

Yeah, that would be a hard one.  Putting the bird in a bag of rice afterward would be doomed to fail!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules