Mavic Air: Glitch with Precision Landing - resolved!
2244 22 2018-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Since updating to FW.400 on the Mavic Air I have noticed a strange thing happening with precision landing... I auto take off and tap the precision landing icon before sliding the screen. Taking off in well lit conditions and using a landing pad, the drone ascends to around 17' and hovers. All normal.

I fly for the whole battery with no issues and low battery RTH pops up as it should - I let it return using RTH (as I'm still testing everything on the drone) and after the first flight it lands on the H in the middle of the pad - with centimetre precision. I Swap the battery with a fresh one and leave my RC and iPhone 7+ running before I turn the drone back on and let it connect to the RC as normal. Same take off 'precision landing' sequence as on the first flight then when I let it return using RTH on the second flight the green pop up precision landing does not show when descending and the drone lands on the grass metres away from the pad... Pick it up, swap the batteries, keep the RC turned on and the same thing happens on all of my remaining flights. So perfect precision landing on the first flight but not on any of the subsequent flights... Very strange!

Today, I turned off the RC and iPhone after my first flight, swapped out the battery on the drone and took off using precision landing again on the second flight. Let the low battery RTH do it's thing and voila, it uses precision landing to near perfection again on all sebsequent flights... If I do not reboot the RC between take off's precision landing will not work after the first flight!

I leave my RC on between flights when using my MPP and have never experienced this before. I have also seen a number of threads on this forum with MA owners experiencing issues with precision landing since the update. Well this appears to fix it until I hope DJI sort it out in the next firmware.

2018-5-12
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Glad you found a work around there Andy
2018-5-12
Use props
Rob.01A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 128888 ft
Netherlands

Something to keep in mind.
Thanks for sharing
2018-5-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 2018-5-12 22:27
Glad you found a work around there Andy

Shouldn't be happening but at least rebooting the RC between flights seems to sort it for now. Wouldn't be a nice experience if someone flying their first drone took off near a lake and when the battery got too low they expected it to on the pad in front of them (as it should) and not precisely land in the lake!
2018-5-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rob.01A Posted at 2018-5-12 22:41
Something to keep in mind.
Thanks for sharing

No probs     
2018-5-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-5-13 00:28
Shouldn't be happening but at least rebooting the RC between flights seems to sort it for now. Wouldn't be a nice experience if someone flying their first drone took off near a lake and when the battery got too low they expected it to on the pad in front of them (as it should) and not precisely land in the lake!

I agree but seems to be a lot of glitches with that latest firmware for the Air.
2018-5-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 2018-5-13 00:47
I agree but seems to be a lot of glitches with that latest firmware for the Air.

It's the only one I've come across so far using iOS and to be honest I usually land manually but this is very strange. Why it works first time but not again is weird.  
2018-5-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-5-13 00:55
It's the only one I've come across so far using iOS and to be honest I usually land manually but this is very strange. Why it works first time but not again is weird.

Would a firmware refresh not fix this
2018-5-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 2018-5-13 01:03
Would a firmware refresh not fix this

Nah - it's clearly the FW that has caused it. I've refreshed the FW on Assistant 2 before and after - same thing.
2018-5-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-5-13 01:09
Nah - it's clearly the FW is which has caused it. I've refreshed the FW on Assistant 2 before and after - same thing.

Dji should really test their firmware before rolling out. I am still on the 0100 for my Pro and will not update because of all the issues seen.
2018-5-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 2018-5-13 01:11
Dji should really test their firmware before rolling out. I am still on the 0100 for my Pro and will not update because of all the issues seen.

Quite a large number have also started having motor overload warnings pop up too since the update. I had one yesterday on my 4th flight but letting off the pitch a little sorted it out and it never popped back up. I'll be monitoring that. That said, everything else is flawless so I really can't complain but motor overload warnings and now this bizarre behaviour with precision landing needs to be addressed before the next update.
2018-5-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-5-13 01:17
Quite a large number have also started having motor overload warnings pop up too since the update. I had one yesterday on my 4th flight but letting off the pitch a little sorted it out and it never popped back up. I'll be monitoring that. That said, everything else is flawless so I really can't complain but motor overload warnings and now this bizarre behaviour with precision landing needs to be addressed before the next update.

I would have rolled back by now and wait for a more stable update
2018-5-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 2018-5-13 01:22

You can't roll back from the latest version... It seems to have been a 'big fix' for something. Shame it's also a 'big break' too LOL
2018-5-13
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2621982 ft
Slovakia

Today I encountered similar situation but i tried all 3 batteries and always same problem. I have landing pad and drone landed 2-3meters away from landing pad when precision landing was enabled. I will test it again tomorrow with some footage.
2018-5-16
Use props
IronDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 75620 ft
United States

LookAt_Wictim Posted at 2018-5-16 05:15
Today I encountered similar situation but i tried all 3 batteries and always same problem. I have landing pad and drone landed 2-3meters away from landing pad when precision landing was enabled. I will test it again tomorrow with some footage.

I asked this on another thread and haven't received a reply...I am a new Air owner and experience the same thing.  How long do we need to hover over the pad for the Air to get a good picture for precision landing?  Is there any sort of indicator that it has gathered enough information?  It seems that if you just take off and go to 6 meters (or whatever the requirement is) then start flying that it wouldn't have enough time to get a good picture to refer back to when landing.
2018-5-16
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2621982 ft
Slovakia

IronDrone Posted at 2018-5-16 10:39
I asked this on another thread and haven't received a reply...I am a new Air owner and experience the same thing.  How long do we need to hover over the pad for the Air to get a good picture for precision landing?  Is there any sort of indicator that it has gathered enough information?  It seems that if you just take off and go to 6 meters (or whatever the requirement is) then start flying that it wouldn't have enough time to get a good picture to refer back to when landing.

when i had mavic pro i clicked auto takeoff and precision landing. Mavic pro go to 6 meters and it was ok to move after. But with mavic air this function didnt work with latest update...
2018-5-16
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-5-13 00:47

Yes.  I agree.  this is very good to know, because i have only been able do a precision landing  a few times.  I'll run the same tests and see if i get the same results.  It does seem like there is an issue with the .400 firmware.  i'm seeing a few different issues after updating.
2018-5-16
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-5-13 01:22

It was very clear when i went to update, that there was no going back from this update.
2018-5-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

3-D Posted at 2018-5-16 17:06
It was very clear when i went to update, that there was no going back from this update.

The same was said for the Pro when the 0300 firmware came out but assistant 2 still allowed a downgrade to 200 and 100
2018-5-16
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-5-16 19:28
The same was said for the Pro when the 0300 firmware came out but assistant 2 still allowed a downgrade to 200 and 100

hmm...  we'll see this evening.
2018-5-17
Use props
METROID
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105741 ft
Russia

A CW Posted at 2018-5-13 00:28
Shouldn't be happening but at least rebooting the RC between flights seems to sort it for now. Wouldn't be a nice experience if someone flying their first drone took off near a lake and when the battery got too low they expected it to on the pad in front of them (as it should) and not precisely land in the lake!

Rebooting the RC is not working for me. Only one or two good landings, and then only manual.
2018-5-20
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-5-17 04:49
hmm...  we'll see this evening.

my precision landing is still about 1-2 meters off.  But right now, that's the least of my concerns.
2018-5-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
Cyprus

METROID Posted at 2018-5-20 12:56
Rebooting the RC is not working for me. Only one or two good landings, and then only manual.

Looks like a glitch in the FW - it’s the only issue I’ve noticed so far - will try again when I return to England
2018-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules