Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How to judge windspeed
5258 35 2018-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AlansDronePics
Captain
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

I hope this Beaufort Scale chart will be a useful guide when judging if it is safe to fly. Ti has a meaningful description and also different metrics to save you doing a conversion.
Just remember, the description relates to where the drone is and not in a sheltered hollow where you might be standing, out of the wind. Ha ha!

Wind speed.JPG
2018-5-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Helpful info Thanks buddy
2018-5-13
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Captain
Flight distance : 10149541 ft
Canada

thanks for that , very useful
2018-5-13
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Alans, useful info! Thanks for your sharing.
2018-5-20
Use props
3-D
Captain
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

All of this good information!  I'm gonna have to carry a binder soon!

Thanks for the info!
2018-5-20
Use props
Amateur Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6411 ft

United States

Nice chart, but I think I will stay with my app "UAV Forecast"
www.uavforecast.com
2018-5-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Amateur Droner Posted at 2018-5-20 19:27
www.uavforecast.com

Awesome app. I use it as well.
2018-5-20
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

I look on the tree top to decided fly or not. You can estimate how much wind will apply on the drone by the movement of tree. If it moving too much and make me feel uncomfortable I won't take off. This is more accurate than weather forecast. I will also check weather report for general wind condition. I won't fly if local wind speed over 25km/h.
2018-5-20
Use props
Mountaindrone
Captain
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>

Thanks for this interesting info
2018-5-20
Use props
AlansDronePics
Captain
Guernsey

Woe Posted at 2018-5-20 19:46

No app will be better than reality, there and then, but at least you are aware of the importance of wind speed. That is very sensible.
2018-5-20
Use props
AlansDronePics
Captain
Guernsey

Woe Posted at 2018-5-20 19:46

No app will be better than reality, there and then, but at least you are aware of the importance of wind speed. That is very sensible.
2018-5-20
Use props
AlansDronePics
Captain
Guernsey

Amateur Droner Posted at 2018-5-20 19:27
www.uavforecast.com

2018-5-20
Use props
Ridg
First Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

This is super useful but keep in mind it's only relevant at ground level (or where the indicator is) also you can get a portable anemometer for ~£10 ($15) from amazon.
2018-5-20
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Hong Kong

The tree can show you the wind much higher than ground level. Also can see the wind in distance far away.
2018-5-21
Use props
AlansDronePics
Captain
Guernsey

GDL Posted at 2018-5-21 00:10
The tree can show you the wind much higher than ground level. Also can see the wind in distance far away.

That is why an on-location assessment is essential.
A more difficult situation is when wind speed on the shore is very low, but due to strong sunlight, turbulent vertical up currents occur. The first warning you get is from the drone.
2018-5-21
Use props
AlansDronePics
Captain
Guernsey

Ridg Posted at 2018-5-20 23:55
This is super useful but keep in mind it's only relevant at ground level (or where the indicator is) also you can get a portable anemometer for ~£10 ($15) from amazon.

Still a ground level and where you hold it thing. Wind speed can be quite different where you fly, unless you are circling where you are.
2018-5-21
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Thank you for sharing this good information!
2018-5-21
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-5-20 23:51

2018-5-21
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-5-20 23:51

2018-5-21
Use props
Lamplighter55
Captain
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

I like UAV Forecast as it give a good estimate of windspeed based on altitude and the additional info about cloud cover, K values and GPS (number of sats above the horizon) - by the hour.
2018-5-21
Use props
Amateur Droner
Second Officer

United States

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2018-5-21 05:21
I like UAV Forecast as it give a good estimate of windspeed based on altitude and the additional info about cloud cover, K values and GPS (number of sats above the horizon) - by the hour.

Exactly, I just can't wrap my mind around the definitions of wind speed of:
"Gentle Breeze/Moderate Breeze/Fresh Breeze/Strong Breeze, by watching twigs/raising dust/loose paper" when I can check the app in the GPS location I am at and know what the wind speed and gusts are from the ground up to 5,000 ft, plus visibility , and the Kp!
2018-5-21
Use props
SparksBird
Captain
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

This is great info.  Although I typically fly above the trees for very good reason and well the wind can be drastically higher even 50 feet above.  Not saying this isn't helpful as it is very much so, so thank you for this.
2018-5-21
Use props
AlansDronePics
Captain
Guernsey

Amateur Droner Posted at 2018-5-21 18:27
Exactly, I just can't wrap my mind around the definitions of wind speed of:
"Gentle Breeze/Moderate Breeze/Fresh Breeze/Strong Breeze, by watching twigs/raising dust/loose paper" when I can check the app in the GPS location I am at and know what the wind speed and gusts are from the ground up to 5,000 ft, plus visibility , and the Kp!

It's not difficult. All you are interested in are the signs that show it is too windy for your drone.
A simple glance while you look around for other issues, like wires, obstacles...
Not suggesting you don't use your app, but you should be considering local conditions and turbulence.
Anyway, if you have your app, then you are sufficiently aware and experienced not to need guidance. It was aimed at the people who unbox and fly regardless and then bleat about a flyaway of it can't beat the wind in sports mode.
2018-5-21
Use props
AlansDronePics
Captain
Guernsey

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-21 18:43
This is great info.  Although I typically fly above the trees for very good reason and well the wind can be drastically higher even 50 feet above.  Not saying this isn't helpful as it is very much so, so thank you for this.

Because you know what you are doing, the wind is not a problem that could catch you out. An experienced and safe Maviceer.
The info, as I believe you realise, is for those who think flying a drone is as easy and safe as switching channels on their TV.
We have all read their moans about how the drone wouldn't come back, even in sports mode...
2018-5-21
Use props
SparksBird
Captain
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-5-21 22:56
Because you know what you are doing, the wind is not a problem that could catch you out. An experienced and safe Maviceer.
The info, as I believe you realise, is for those who think flying a drone is as easy and safe as switching channels on their TV.
We have all read their moans about how the drone wouldn't come back, even in sports mode...

Yes agree very well put as how many times we have seen this on these forums.  So I agree and is good info to know as also we can not always just rely on say UAV forecast.  So again thanks for posting this
2018-5-22
Use props
Amateur Droner
Second Officer

United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-5-21 22:51
It's not difficult. All you are interested in are the signs that show it is too windy for your drone.
A simple glance while you look around for other issues, like wires, obstacles...
Not suggesting you don't use your app, but you should be considering local conditions and turbulence.

I'll go along with informing new fliers to be aware of wind and the hazards, I misunderstood you. I thought you were suggesting the chart was an all inclusive wind indicator for flying drones...sorry.
I would first suggest that new fliers read the manual and not just jump in blind.
The same thing happens with new motorcycle riders, boaters, atv newbies!
I have seen them all just purchase and get into trouble the first time out!
2018-5-22
Use props
Tyredecals.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I use a rock

But best to use common sense..
Ground speeds can differ compared to 400ft. If your craft is struggling, then drop to a lower altitude.
Fly agianst the wind on the way out and make sure you keep an eye on your battery levels at all times.
Make sure you know your limits and how to activate sports mode (if available) when in trouble.
2018-5-22
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

#8 - Put drone down for takeoff, and it starts to cartwheel; it is likely to windy to fly.  
2018-5-22
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

I flown in multiple storms and learned my lesson, first sign of violent wind land it.. for some reason In super strong wind I can’t land my Mavic Pro it refuses to reduce its lift, i think maybe it’s fighting too hard.  

Unfortunately last week (or there abouts) was a very violent super cell that hit the area I was flying in and it was a super cell storm all the winds and violent nature of the storm was all rolled up into... very little warning because the winds were mostly calm ahead of it, I should have known when air tempature suddenly dropped when light breeze came through that it was about to get nasty, but I still had 70% battery and the storm looked cool from the air.... WAM60+ MPH wind hit like suddenly.. my Mavic Pro rocked off with the wind and I kicked it to sport mode and maxed it out to the point I got a battery error from over drawing power.    Thank god for occusync, it rocked off about a mile and half off with that massive gust my Mavic Pro stayed completely in communication with my controller... so I decided to try find a safe spot to land it  since I was out of the gust now.. I dediced to land it what looked like an anandoned apartment parking lot.  Pressed land button and hopped for the best since once got below the roof line I know my connection was dead.  And raced after it.. she safe and by the time I got over there (thanks to traffic being stupid) it was pouring rain and she was soaked but blinking happily!  

I don’t suggest anyone fly in a storm.. I wasn’t planning to, I was planning on framing a few shots maybe a video of distant lightning  and bringing it back in before it hit.

No I didn’t catch any of this on video because it doesn’t auto record and I was too busy trying to frame a shot before it got swept away.. I wasn’t concerned anymore about a good video or photo I was concerned about staying in control of my drone best I could.  This is why I wish I had an auto record function!’!! Would be awesome video to share and warn people about the risk and danger.  

Oh yea also right after I grabbed my drone and tossed it into my car my iPhone alarm going off because of a tornado warning.  And it was insane.. like right before the storm was no winds, right after storm was no winds... was all in the storm, incredible how weather works and violent it can be
2018-5-22
Use props
AlansDronePics
Captain
Guernsey

Amateur Droner Posted at 2018-5-22 15:08
I'll go along with informing new fliers to be aware of wind and the hazards, I misunderstood you. I thought you were suggesting the chart was an all inclusive wind indicator for flying drones...sorry.
I would first suggest that new fliers read the manual and not just jump in blind.
The same thing happens with new motorcycle riders, boaters, atv newbies!

You are so right.
I know I was petrified on my first flight which consisted of a battery charge of take off and landings, a few rotations and several metres, back and forth.
OK I know I sound like an idiot, but I didn't want to crash it or have it fall on someone.
As my confidence grew, the more the manual was able to answer my questions. So I understand why people don't absorb the information when they first read it.
2018-5-22
Use props
AlansDronePics
Captain
Guernsey

Tyredecals.com Posted at 2018-5-22 19:04
I use a rock
http://nakedhungrytraveller.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Tais-weather-rock-at-Muri-beach.jpg[/img]

You are right.  New flyers will find out the hard way if they don't think through what they are doing.
2018-5-22
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Singapore

Be careful with landscape and large building around. Wind can be very different on complicated landscape. You may see no wind on the hill side but suddenly hit by strong wind after over the ridge.  Wind can change suddenly in the place like valley, gap and large building. No app able to tell you the wind in complicated area. You need to watch the environmental around carefully.
2018-5-22
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The chart is great and useful information, but without an anemometer I wouldn't risk an eyeball forecast specifically for wind. Nor would I just use an app like UAV (which is fantastic) as sometimes you may find yourself out of mobile coverage (the blind spot) this is when an anemometer is useful to verify wind speeds but only at ground level! Thereafter it is a guess what the wind state at 400ft might be, pilot judgement comes into play, fly or stay grounded!
2018-5-22
Use props
AlansDronePics
Captain
Guernsey

M2Wair Posted at 2018-5-22 23:49
The chart is great and useful information, but without an anemometer I wouldn't risk an eyeball forecast specifically for wind. Nor would I just use an app like UAV (which is fantastic) as sometimes you may find yourself out of mobile coverage (the blind spot) this is when an anemometer is useful to verify wind speeds but only at ground level! Thereafter it is a guess what the wind state at 400ft might be, pilot judgement comes into play, fly or stay grounded!

All true.
The drone gives early warning of wind issues as you fly higher, so a newbie would be advised to pay attention to them.
2018-5-22
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-5-22 23:54
All true.
The drone gives early warning of wind issues as you fly higher, so a newbie would be advised to pay attention to them.

Agreed, but flying VLOS a new user might/will miss or ignore warning messages lol Imagine a forum with no threads 'help my drone flew away in a hurricane' or 'what are satellites'

In all seriousness the Beaufort scale chart could save a new pilot his or her drone, but like the manual will they read it.
2018-5-23
Use props
AlansDronePics
Captain
Guernsey

M2Wair Posted at 2018-5-23 00:08
Agreed, but flying VLOS a new user might/will miss or ignore warning messages lol Imagine a forum with no threads 'help my drone flew away in a hurricane' or 'what are satellites'

In all seriousness the Beaufort scale chart could save a new pilot his or her drone, but like the manual will they read it.

There are a few new Maviceers amongst us who are cautious enough to understand the hobby. It is for them I suppose.

I expect we have all had close calls, so it is entertaining to read about those who weren't so lucky.
There but for the grace of god, go I.
2018-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules