Spark damage
1519 16 2018-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DrewS75
lvl.1

United States

My Spark got caught up in a tree, shut off and fell down onto a sidewalk, damaging the blades, propeller guards and also unfortantely resulted in a cracked camera. With respect to the camera, do I need to send my Spark off to DJI for repair, or can the camera be replaced by myself? Please see the included photos. Thanks!

IMG_3047.jpg
IMG_3046.jpg
2018-5-13
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Did you buy DJI Care Refresh ?

The Camera need a lot of attention to replace, if you have experience you can find parts for sale on the Internet.

If it was me, I would open a Ticket with DJI Support and ask them first, they can offer you a Replacement. What you got to lose ?

2018-5-13
Use props
DrewS75
lvl.1

United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-5-13 14:49
Did you buy DJI Care Refresh ?

The Camera need a lot of attention to replace, if you have experience you can find parts for sale on the Internet.

Unfortunately, no. It sounds like my only recourse is sending it to DJI and paying for the repair. I'll try the ticket approach and see what they say. Thank you!
2018-5-13
Use props
SpeedyBirdy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 968002 ft
United States

I’ve seen many spare spark parts sold on amazon by DJI and other sellers. There are plenty of vids on YouTube that show the Spark getting disassembled. If you’re feeling lucky and wanna operate on Sparky instead of sending it in and paying $$ then doing it yourself is the best way. Whatever method you chose I hope you get this resolved and are up and flying again. Good luck!
2018-5-13
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

looking at the damaged prop guards, how heigh was the tree?

Or was it full sport mode into the trees trunk?
2018-5-13
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

normally with the prop guards, the damage should be way less. Im surprised how the camera got damaged with the prop guards on !!
2018-5-13
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
United States

The prop guards got badly bend
Thats why I asked about the circumstances.
2018-5-13
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

Do it your self, not that hard, just take care not braking the small cables.. If your camera feed and gimbal works still, i would buy your busted cam and cable, as i am missing one, in one of my repair drones
2018-5-13
Use props
DrewS75
lvl.1

United States

I think a gust of wind pushed the Spark into the tree while it was roughly 30 feet in the air. It suddenly shut off and took a hard hit on the concrete sidewalk below. It seems to still be operating just fine. I simply use the camera often and right now (with the crack in the lens) that poses a bit of a problem. Have any of you had experience replacing the camera yourselves? If it's too surgical, I'd rather avoid trying myself.
2018-5-14
Use props
DrewS75
lvl.1

United States

In the off chance I do decide to give it a go and repair it myself due to the cost of sending it off to DJI for repair being too costly, would this be all I would need?

https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Gimba ... ds=DJI+Spark+gimbal
2018-5-14
Use props
jh8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

My experience with DJI repair is that they charge fair prices for parts and labor. I would personally consider sending it in to get a quote. Unfortunately I do think the camera/gimbal is the most expensive part, but $146 sounds like a pretty good deal.  
2018-5-14
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

i recommend doing at home if you have done electronic service earlier.
2018-5-15
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 365299 ft
Switzerland

There have been at least two posts here of people who replaced their camera assembly at home, and they couldn’t calibrate it once it was installed. I. e. the cam would still point slightly downwards even on the highest position, and they were looking for help to adjust it. If I’m not mistaken they couldn’t find a solution other than to send it to DJI for repairs, but maybe you can find the old threads and ask them.
2018-5-15
Use props
DrewS75
lvl.1

United States

I found someone who may be able to repair it locally, but will mention the calibration issue with them when we connect. Thank you everyone and I will keep you updated!
2018-5-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

DrewS75 Posted at 2018-5-13 16:23
Unfortunately, no. It sounds like my only recourse is sending it to DJI and paying for the repair. I'll try the ticket approach and see what they say. Thank you!

Sorry for the accident. Here is the link for you to contact our spark and send it back for repair: http://www.dji.com/support I would not recommend you repair it on your own.
2018-5-16
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Denmark

DrewS75 Posted at 2018-5-14 10:05
In the off chance I do decide to give it a go and repair it myself due to the cost of sending it off to DJI for repair being too costly, would this be all I would need?

https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Gimbal-Camera-Assembly-Authentic/dp/B076Q2L994/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1526320971&sr=8-4&keywords=DJI+Spark+gimbal

Yup, that is all, if you camera mount is undamaged that is.... I changed 2 sets og cables now, no problems, but lots og small screws and so in... Just take photos/or watch yt videos and take your time
2018-5-16
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Denmark

Yup, that is all, if you camera mount is undamaged that is.... I changed 2 sets og cables now, no problems, but lots og small screws and so in... Just take photos/or watch yt videos and take your time
2018-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules