Tip to Help Avoid Compass Interference
5995 52 2018-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gala
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8035 ft

Hi, new owner here. Is it correct to point like this the MA in the seccond step of compass calibration?
2018-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Gala Posted at 2018-5-15 07:34
Hi, new owner here. Is it correct to point like this the MA in the seccond step of compass calibration? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyDMXGHUKgw

You can actually do it both ways it doesn’t matter if nose points down or up. Other thing it’s much easier to hold the drone and move yourself in a 360.
2018-5-15
Use props
Gala
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8035 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-15 10:18
You can actually do it both ways it doesn’t matter if nose points down or up. Other thing it’s much easier to hold the drone and move yourself in a 360.

Thank you! I have ecountered an issue with my MA and the compass will not calibrate in any of this ways. I had no issues prior the last update. In step two of calibration operation it just exits to live view screen with no message.
2018-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

小仙女的星巴克 Posted at 2018-5-14 04:22
great practice before you fly away

Thank you hope it helps.
2018-5-16
Use props
Merced69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 327096 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-16 08:26
Thank you hope it helps.

I have had my MA for about a month now.  The first location I flew, no request to re-calibrate compass, this was out in the country side, with very little around.  The second location was about 200km away, back in the city, first I had the firmware update, and following the update, it asked for a compass re-calibrate.  Then I flew overseas to the Philippines, and on my first test flight there, no request for a compass re-calibrate....given it was about 12,000 km away, I was shocked, but it was just a short test flight anyway.  I then went to a beach area, with next to no buildings, just a concrete dock/pier.  First time on the dock, had to do a re-calibrate.  I figured it was the interference with the metal in the concrete, so I walked away, calibrated the compass, and was able to fly.  The next day, same location again, and app wanted the re-calibrate again.  It was good for the rest of the trip, no further re-calibrates.  Back at home it asked again before the first flight.  All this seems reasonable, except for the first time I tried, being 12,000km from the last flight, I was really expecting to have to re-calibrate, but it didn't request it, and seemed to fly just fine, hovered well, but I didn't go far.   For me, it seems that interference creates more of a need to re-calibrate than a change in location.  Anyone know if the metal rebars in concrete really cause that much interference, or would it be the water, or just some anomaly in the ground?
2018-5-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Merced69 Posted at 2018-5-16 11:05
I have had my MA for about a month now.  The first location I flew, no request to re-calibrate compass, this was out in the country side, with very little around.  The second location was about 200km away, back in the city, first I had the firmware update, and following the update, it asked for a compass re-calibrate.  Then I flew overseas to the Philippines, and on my first test flight there, no request for a compass re-calibrate....given it was about 12,000 km away, I was shocked, but it was just a short test flight anyway.  I then went to a beach area, with next to no buildings, just a concrete dock/pier.  First time on the dock, had to do a re-calibrate.  I figured it was the interference with the metal in the concrete, so I walked away, calibrated the compass, and was able to fly.  The next day, same location again, and app wanted the re-calibrate again.  It was good for the rest of the trip, no further re-calibrates.  Back at home it asked again before the first flight.  All this seems reasonable, except for the first time I tried, being 12,000km from the last flight, I was really expecting to have to re-calibrate, but it didn't request it, and seemed to fly just fine, hovered well, but I didn't go far.   For me, it seems that interference creates more of a need to re-calibrate than a change in location.  Anyone know if the metal rebars in concrete really cause that much interference, or would it be the water, or just some anomaly in the ground?

Yes rebar is well known to create compass problems in these aircraft, and your app won’t always warn you.
2018-5-16
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the tips. Its always good to refresh our memories of these things from time to time.
2018-5-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Hurley1718 Posted at 2018-5-16 12:47
Thanks for the tips. Its always good to refresh our memories of these things from time to time.

Your welcome.
2018-5-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Far_North Posted at 2018-5-14 03:23
Couldn't agree more, especially #1.
I have never calibrated my compass and never been prompted to.  Was good right out of the box.  I fly a MPP.

To much calibration I’m like you always check if everything is ok go fly.
2018-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-5-14 10:55
Also, I am curious about the look up table?  What  is that?

Sorry for delay getting back to you on this matter. Just checking a few things out first.
The lookup table is basically a spread sheet with the globes magnetic declination differences listed, so the basics are it can compensate for the known shifts in magnetic field around the world, however this can not take into account localized changes due to heavy iron content or other things.

Hope this makes sense.
2018-5-20
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

As always, great tips.  To this point, I've always done steps 1-4, but haven't done the pre-flight exercise.  I've added this to my flight checklist.
2018-5-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

3-D Posted at 2018-5-20 04:37
As always, great tips.  To this point, I've always done steps 1-4, but haven't done the pre-flight exercise.  I've added this to my flight checklist.

Your welcome. Preflight exercise was something I picked up doing my commercial, it’s now always part of my routine and offers time to see that aircraft is behaving in a good manner prior to flying off, it takes a very short time and if anything doesn’t look right , gives good opportunity to land and further check things out.
2018-5-20
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-20 04:18
Sorry for delay getting back to you on this matter. Just checking a few things out first.
The lookup table is basically a spread sheet with the globes magnetic declination differences listed, so the basics are it can compensate for the known shifts in magnetic field around the world, however this can not take into account localized changes due to heavy iron content or other things.

Thank you sir.  
2018-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules