Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Manually setting the photo counter on Mavic air.
1942 8 2018-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Philip Couling
lvl.2
Flight distance : 448081 ft

I usually clear it down each time I go out.  Recently I forgot to clear it down and had to swap to to a backup SD card.

It seems the Mavic air maintains its photo counter on the SD card it writes to (not on the interal storage).  That's a bit of a problem for archiving photos as I now have file name colisions.  If I manually re-number the file names, it wont help as the photo counter on my main SD card is ~100 lower than it needs to be.

Digital cameras usually have an option to reset the counter manually to get round similar problems.  Is there an option on DJI Go (that I've missed)?  Alternativly, does anyone know how to hack the photo counter on the SD card?

My only other option is to sit and take ~100 photos of nothing in my living room and delete them.

Thanks
2018-5-14
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

If you start up your drone with card inside it will use last number on that card.
You can format the card, copy the dcmi folder on it with the last file number you want and it will use it.
2018-5-14
Use props
Philip Couling
lvl.2

G_Sig Posted at 2018-5-14 04:58
If you start up your drone with card inside it will use last number on that card.
You can format the card, copy the dcmi folder on it with the last file number you want and it will use it.

Could I just get this straight?

You're saying if you format the card but add a DCIM folder then it will re-initialize the counter to the largest image/video number it can find (+1)?
I ask because I frequently delete the DCIM folder and the drone does not reset the number.
2018-5-14
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Philip Couling Posted at 2018-5-14 12:45

You're saying if you format the card but add a DCIM folder then it will re-initialize the counter to the largest image/video number it can find (+1)?

I just format the card make DCMI folder and copy the last .jpg file in to it. If it work the same  on Air with on board memory I'm not sure.
2018-5-14
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Philip Couling Posted at 2018-5-14 12:45

You can presumably change whether the camera should start with DJI_0000 or continue with the numbering in the camera setup. This is possible on both a Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 Advance, so I guess it can also be changed on a Mavic Air.

Keep in mind that the camera menu may presumably scroll, otherwise you may overlook the point.

Good luck. Regards Leif.
2018-5-14
Use props
Philip Couling
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Landbo Posted at 2018-5-14 13:29
You can presumably change whether the camera should start with DJI_0000 or continue with the numbering in the camera setup. This is possible on both a Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 Advance, so I guess it can also be changed on a Mavic Air.

Keep in mind that the camera menu may presumably scroll, otherwise you may overlook the point.

I've set this. But it seems to maintain the counter on the card.
2018-5-15
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Denmark

Philip Couling Posted at 2018-5-15 22:17
I've set this. But it seems to maintain the counter on the card.

Yes, Philip. It seems that DJI have forgot to think about that detail.       

If it can comfort you, DJI only allows a picture counter to go to DJI_0999 before switching to DJI_0000 again . Therefore, whenever I clear my SD card, it is necessary to create a special directory with the date on which I moved the pictures/video to avoid overwrites. And it's especially necessary when you have two drones  to film with.   

Regards Leif.
2018-5-16
Use props
Philip Couling
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Landbo Posted at 2018-5-16 05:12
Yes, Philip. It seems that DJI have forgot to think about that detail.      

If it can comfort you, DJI only allows a picture counter to go to DJI_0999 before switching to DJI_0000 again . Therefore, whenever I clear my SD card, it is necessary to create a special directory with the date on which I moved the pictures/video to avoid overwrites. And it's especially necessary when you have two drones  to film with.   

Yes that's also annoying.  Every digital camera I've ever used has maintained unique file names on its photos irrespective of directory.  Eg: my lumix creates DCIM/100_PANA,  DCIM/101_PANA .... directories but it also includes the directory number in the file name.

The whole purpose of the DCIM directory structure is to try to keep file names unique while keeping directory sizes manageable.

I wonder if there is any chance of requesting DJI "standardize" their file naming.

Until then I guess I'm just going to have to script file renaming as I archive.
2018-5-18
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Denmark

Philip Couling Posted at 2018-5-18 06:35
Yes that's also annoying.  Every digital camera I've ever used has maintained unique file names on its photos irrespective of directory.  Eg: my lumix creates DCIM/100_PANA,  DCIM/101_PANA .... directories but it also includes the directory number in the file name.

The whole purpose of the DCIM directory structure is to try to keep file names unique while keeping directory sizes manageable.

You should not expect that DJI will want to listen to their users' wishes. I suggested them once they used the date and time, eg. 20180518_174101 to create the unique file name.

Yes, we need a little innovation from that company. I think my proposal is one of the cheap ones.  

Regards Leif.
2018-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules