2167 21 2018-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HendrikJB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

First of all I "might" be wrong
I was flying my MA without prop guards from the first flight without problems.  2 Days ago though the wind was a bit "fresh" and I saw that the craft was not going to land where I wanted it to land.  I grabbed it but fuddled it up and got cut open

So before posting this "sad case" I fitted the prop guards as we very rarely have really windless days and I was planning a "trans sea-terra firma" flight expecting something to go wrong, which it did Fortunately not badly wrong
The software duly warned that the craft has detected "additional" load.  This together with the wind and my fumbling with trying a, for me, new maneuver (read "slow to do what I wanted to achieve"), put a strain on the battery and decided to not be able to make it "home".  

The verdict for/to me from me?  Don`t fly with the prop guards when trying something "new". On the other hand maybe I should......

2018-5-14
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hope it wasn't too bad and too sore and you make a speedy recovery buddy.

As far as I am concerned using prop guards is like wearing wellingtons in the bath and hand catching frightens the life out of me, I'm rather fond of my pinkies.  
2018-5-14
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

M2Wair Posted at 2018-5-14 03:13

As far as I am concerned using prop guards is like wearing wellingtons in the bath and hand catching frightens the life out of me, I'm rather fond of my pinkies.

Thank you for your concern. it is appreciated.

I could have been worse, unfortunately in the specific circumstance hand catching could not be avoided as the wind was howling exactly where I wanted (had to) to land.  Just a small correction with the RC was multiplied by the wind factor.

Here where I stay the wind tends to just "appear" out of nowhere
2018-5-14
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-5-14 03:18
Thank you for your concern. it is appreciated.

I could have been worse, unfortunately in the specific circumstance hand catching could not be avoided as the wind was howling exactly where I wanted (had to) to land.  Just a small correction with the RC was multiplied by the wind factor.

Ohhhh I know that feeling, wind here is somewhat unpredictable, as is the rain and when the sun might shine lol  This time last year we were wearing T-shirts, this year I'm still scrapping ice off the car windscreen early mornings, go figure.

I find UAV forecast is great for wind, the app refreshes every three minutes and tells you when it is safe to fly and windy.com good for 24 hour wind forecasts.

2018-5-14
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

M2Wair Posted at 2018-5-14 03:34
Ohhhh I know that feeling, wind here is somewhat unpredictable, as is the rain and when the sun might shine lol  This time last year we were wearing T-shirts, this year I'm still scrapping ice off the car windscreen early mornings, go figure.

I find UAV forecast is great for wind, the app refreshes every three minutes and tells you when it is safe to fly and windy.com good for 24 hour wind forecasts.

Thank you for that tidbit of advice.  Will look it up.
2018-5-14
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

Hope all is well, I know the feeling but with composite props and 5 stitches later on another machine.
At least they are plastic blades but they can still do some damage.
Heal up soon.

Fly Safe.
Rudy
2018-5-14
Use props
Kevinab
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2159006 ft
Sweden

lol same happened to me. i hand catched it and in the last second i realized my thumb was a little too high up and it got a few smacks by the props. no damage to the motor or prop. just a sore thumb.

i wouldnt say dont catch the mavic air with hand. its rather small so the worst thing that could happen is the props get damaged or a little bleeding, and even this is very rare. but i def wouldnt recommend hand catching anything else like the pro.
2018-5-14
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Ouch sorry to hear buddy hope you heal fast.  I would of done the same thing figure a few stitches is well worth saving my bird   
2018-5-14
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry to read on this, hope it wasn't too bad and hope you make a speedy recovery. Take care and fly safely.
2018-5-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read that mate - hope all is OK.

Prop guards for indoor use only

Use a landing pad

Don't take off in winds >25MPH

Problem solved!
2018-5-15
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-5-15 02:20
Sorry to read that mate - hope all is OK.

Prop guards for indoor use only

Thank you once again CW for your constructive advice.
The wind actually picked up, from light to moderately fast, while I was flying.  
2018-5-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-5-15 05:47
Thank you once again CW for your constructive advice.
The wind actually picked up, from light to moderately fast, while I was flying.

Scary when that happens - switch to sport mode to double the descent speed, carefully drop altitude to around 150', turn the quad to your direction and full pitch back to you. Leave the prop guards off mate unless using smart capture to impress the kids at a family BBQ or when flying indoors.
2018-5-15
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-5-15 06:43
Scary when that happens - switch to sport mode to double the descent speed, carefully drop altitude to around 150', turn the quad to your direction and full throttle back to you. Leave the prop guards off mate unless using smart capture to impress the kids at a family BBQ or when flying indoors.

2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

M2Wair Posted at 2018-5-14 03:34

oh, i'm so adding that to the app list!!!
2018-5-18
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

3-D Posted at 2018-5-18 04:09
oh, i'm so adding that to the app list!!!

UAV forecast is an exceptional app. Makes planning flights so easy as regards to wind, rain, cloud cover, visability, temp, kp etc very very good app.
2018-5-18
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I've gotten used to hand landing now.  You only make that "chop the fingers" mistake once.  It hurts a little.  and sears the lesson in to your brain.
2018-5-18
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

3-D Posted at 2018-5-18 04:12
I've gotten used to hand landing now.  You only make that "chop the fingers" mistake once.  It hurts a little.  and sears the lesson in to your brain.

lol I bet it does, tried it a couple of times and now land on a landing pad if needed. I like my fingers
2018-5-18
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

M2Wair Posted at 2018-5-18 04:14
lol I bet it does, tried it a couple of times and now land on a landing pad if needed. I like my fingers

I do want to get a landing pad.  I normally only use hand landing if I'm landing in an uneven area, or close quarters.  When I finally get a landing pad, i'll have to find an easy way to carry it with the rest of my gear.  I really hope they fold up tightly.
2018-5-18
Use props
Jim_Ball
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49754 ft
Australia

I have learned it in a hard way: if it is windy, do not fly with the propellor guards! The wind will blow the MA like a kite!
2018-5-19
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Jim_Ball Posted at 2018-5-19 15:53
I have learned it in a hard way: if it is windy, do not fly with the propellor guards! The wind will blow the MA like a kite!

Ha ha ha You`re correct.

Thanks anyway
2018-6-26
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

I believe you can turn off the propeller guard feature in the settings to get rid of the warning, not sure as I never fly with the guards on, just read it somewhere.
2018-6-26
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

QuadKid Posted at 2018-6-26 03:04
I believe you can turn off the propeller guard feature in the settings to get rid of the warning, not sure as I never fly with the guards on, just read it somewhere.

Thank you for that one but neither do I fly with the guards on.  I just tried it once.
2018-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules