Is the 333 worth it??
2646 35 2015-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

Hey guys!

Just wanted to see what the everyone on the forum thinks about the 333 permits.
I know the proposal was released just this February and I also know it take a couple of months for a 333 exemption to pass through.

Do you guys think the FAA will actually change the law by the end of this year?
Would it be a waste of money to get a 333 permit?

Safe flying!
2015-5-11
Use props
I. P. Freely
lvl.4

United States

How much money do you think it would take to obtain the permit?
2015-5-11
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

YOU still need a pilot's licence that's going to cost you about 10k.
2015-5-11
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

I am a private pilot. I just don't want to spend on this permit if the FAA is going to change the rules in a matter of months.
But if they don't plan on hanging anything until 2016 or 2017, then I'll probably decide to do it. I just don't know what they're thinking.
2015-5-11
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

I. P. Freely Posted at 2015-5-12 11:07
How much money do you think it would take to obtain the permit?

To hire a lawyer who would do all the ground work, it would cost 5k for me.
If I applied and did it myself, then it would cost a lot less. But I don't want to have to keep up with all the paper work. There are a lot more responsibilities on my plate. So I really want to just hire a lawyer

2015-5-11
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-5-12 12:17
YOU still need a pilot's licence that's going to cost you about 10k.

I am a private pilot. I just don't want to spend on this permit if the FAA is going to change the rules in a matter of months.
But if they don't plan on hanging anything until 2016 or 2017, then I'll probably decide to do it. I just don't know what they're thinking.
2015-5-11
Use props
JKT
lvl.4

United States

Do you really have to be a pilot to optain the 333?
2015-5-11
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

JKT Posted at 2015-5-12 13:51

Not to obtain it. Your company can have a 333, but the person who the FAA registers to fly the drone must hold a private pilots Liscense.
2015-5-11
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

shakyamunifilms Posted at 2015-5-12 14:13
Your company can have a 333, but the person who the FAA registers to fly the drone must hold a private pilots Liscense.

OR a recreational pilot license OR a sport pilot license.

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=82485

The NEW problem they're introducing with the 333 exemptions is that each exemption requires that the aircraft be 500' away from any uninvolved persons, vessels, vehicles or buildings unless you construct a physical barrier that would protect them from a crash or obtain individual signoffs from every pedestrian, building owner, vehicle or vessel owner.

Where I'm located there isn't a single place, anywhere, where you're more than 500' away from a roadway, building, passerby or car.  So getting a 333 exemption here would effectively require cessation of all operations.
2015-5-12
Use props
presti
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1329 ft

United States

JKT Posted at 2015-5-12 13:51

holding a private pilots Liscense you need to include that in the 333 exemptions. thats what I did.
2015-5-12
Use props
JKT
lvl.4

United States

presti@optonlin Posted at 2015-5-13 07:30
holding a private pilots Liscense you need to include that in the 333 exemptions. thats what I did. ...

So where you aprove for the 333? or you are in the proccess? I am very confuse as I want to legally be aprove by the FAA. So if you dont have a Private Pilot Liscence you cant Operate the Droone Correct???? Also did you do the paper work on your own or did you hired someone, and how much was it if you did hire a lawyer. hope you can help clarify some of this questions.
2015-5-12
Use props
JKT
lvl.4

United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-13 00:48
OR a recreational pilot license OR a sport pilot license.

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId ...

there a guy who got aprove for the 333 but he was flying it over buildings and he was shooting live for a news channel.  Also I was trying to see if he has a pilot Lisence. But I still dont know if he does or not. Thats Why i am wondering if you need a PILOTS license.
2015-5-12
Use props
presti
lvl.3

United States

JKT Posted at 2015-5-13 08:58
So where you aprove for the 333? or you are in the proccess? I am very confuse as I want to legall ...

In the proccess, and yes I did all the paper work on my own all 37 pages. So I guess we will find out if and when it gets aprove. you do need a pilots liscence but I did include to be exempt for that to. only time will tell.
2015-5-12
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

JKT Posted at 2015-5-13 09:02
i am wondering if you need a PILOTS license.

The FAA requirement is very clearly spelled out at the link I posted above.
The agency now allows operations under these exemptions by people who hold a recreational or sport pilot certificate. Previously, Section 333 operators were required to have at least a private pilot certificate. The newly added certificates are easier to obtain, and therefore less costly, than a private pilot certificate.

So you need a Private Pilot certificate OR Recreational Pilot certificate OR Sport Pilot certificate (or higher).  They WILL NOT permit commercial operation of a UAS by anyone who does not hold one of those certificates.  ("Certificate" is FAA-speak for "license").  So yes, you ABSOLUTELY DO need a pilot's license to commercially operate a UAS - and you will need it until some time in 2016 or 2017 when the new rules are formally adopted to create a drone-operator's training and certification program that meets FAA requirements.  Currently NO training for drone pilots is accepted by the FAA.
2015-5-12
Use props
JKT
lvl.4

United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-13 10:22
The FAA requirement is very clearly spelled out at the link I posted above.

So you need a Private  ...

Thanks Pete!
2015-5-12
Use props
JKT
lvl.4

United States

presti@optonlin Posted at 2015-5-13 09:19
In the proccess, and yes I did all the paper work on my own all 37 pages. So I guess we will find  ...

Thats pretty awesome! how long ago did you summited your paper work? It looks like its a 6 month wait!  I hope you can keep us posted on how things end up working for you.
2015-5-12
Use props
davidbsamuels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8049101 ft
  • >>>
United States

FYI, it looks like 159 certs have been issued as of today?  See article link below.

http://www.ccim.com/cire-magazin ... 2015/05/drones-take
2015-5-12
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

i have a pilot's license and may be looking for a 333 to work under.  is there a way to send a private message here?  i am interested.
2015-5-12
Use props
JKT
lvl.4

United States

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-5-13 12:20
i have a pilot's license and may be looking for a 333 to work under.  is there a way to send a priva ...

no there no way to sent directmessages. where are you located?
2015-5-12
Use props
presti
lvl.3

United States

JKT Posted at 2015-5-13 11:18
Thats pretty awesome! how long ago did you summited your paper work? It looks like its a 6 month w ...

I submitted it May 1st, Yes I will keep you all updated.
2015-5-13
Use props
I. P. Freely
lvl.4

United States

I'm not a licensed pilot but applied.  Perhaps I will get one.  I would not want to be discouraged by anyone saying that "only pilots will get to fly them". Time will tell!  I submitted mine on 04-21.
2015-5-13
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

davidbsamuels Posted at 2015-5-13 12:02
FYI, it looks like 159 certs have been issued as of today?  See article link below.

http://www.ccim ...

Actually, the last time I looked a couple days ago, the number of approved exemptions was 289
2015-5-13
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I. P. Freely Posted at 2015-5-14 02:43
I'm not a licensed pilot but applied.  Perhaps I will get one.  I would not want to be discouraged b ...

No one is discouraging you but the FAA is clear you need a pilots licence and a medical also.   
2015-5-13
Use props
presti
lvl.3

United States

I. P. Freely Posted at 2015-5-14 02:43
I'm not a licensed pilot but applied.  Perhaps I will get one.  I would not want to be discouraged b ...

Good luck to both of us, I did the same, if not I will still enjoy the hoby anyway.
2015-5-13
Use props
I. P. Freely
lvl.4

United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-5-14 04:32
No one is discouraging you but the FAA is clear you need a pilots licence and a medical also.

I hear you....But, I can't believe that issue will stay.  That is my opinion.  As stated recently, it might take a while to change.
2015-5-13
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I. P. Freely Posted at 2015-5-14 06:10
I hear you....But, I can't believe that issue will stay.  That is my opinion.  As stated recently, ...

Good luck
2015-5-13
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Not to change subjects but as hobbyist you can sell your video/pics for profit. So if you are out flying your bird and see a fire and you record the fire from above and you call your local news TV channel you can legaly sell your video/pics for profit per the FAA.
2015-5-13
Use props
presti
lvl.3

United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-5-14 06:36
Not to change subjects but as hobbyist you can sell your video/pics for profit. So if you are out fl ...

Is that in writting some place.?
2015-5-13
Use props
PlanetInhouse
lvl.1

United States

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-5-13 12:20
i have a pilot's license and may be looking for a 333 to work under.  is there a way to send a priva ...

Where is the document? Someone posted they filled out 36 pages. I have repeatedly looked online for those pages. Is The law firm Cooley! Llc still the go to firm for 333?
2015-5-13
Use props
I. P. Freely
lvl.4

United States

No, if you make money it is commercial.  From what I heard in the past...If "anyone makes money" from the video it is commercial.  It appears that giving a video to a Real Estate agent who then posts it qualifies for commercial use.
2015-5-13
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

I. P. Freely Posted at 2015-5-14 06:10
I hear you....But, I can't believe that issue will stay.  That is my opinion.  As stated recently, ...

You are correct that the issue will not stay this way permanently.  The FAA is working on passing regulations to create a "drone operator certification."  Once that occurs, you will not need a pilot's license to operate a drone.  The problem is that the federal rulemaking process is very long and drawn out, with a lot of mandatory steps.  As a result, it will be late 2016 or possibly 2017 before this occurs.  In the meantime, the only officially FAA-approved training that contains all the content the FAA wants drone operators to have, including knowledge of airspace classifications, safety, weather, and FAA regulations, is pilot training.  Consequently until late 2016 or 2017, only licensed pilots can fly drones commercially under a 333 exemption.  The license may be as an airline transport, commercial, private, sport, or recreational pilot - but it must be one of those categories.
2015-5-13
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

I. P. Freely Posted at 2015-5-14 10:02
No, if you make money it is commercial.  From what I heard in the past...If "anyone makes money" fro ...

That is correct.  The FAA has ridiculously strict rules for what qualifies as "flying for compensation."  For instance, if you're a private pilot (a classification that cannot fly for compensation), they will violate you if you fly a friend somewhere and the friend pays for the fuel for the trip.  You can split the fuel 50/50 and that's okay, but then the friend can't pick up the lunch.  Anything that gives the pilot the tiniest financial advantage the FAA considers "flying for money."  It's the same with UAS operation.  If anyone makes a penny from the operation they consider it "flying for money."  They've already hassled a UAS pilot because he puts his aerial videos on YouTube, and YouTube puts banner ads on them - thus the FAA concludes he is flying for money.
2015-5-13
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

presti@optonlin Posted at 2015-5-14 09:37
Is that in writting some place.?

Here you go.http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/2015/05/07/faa-says-media-can-use-drone-photos-from-citizen-journalists-not-professionals/
2015-5-13
Use props
jeff.meadors
New

United States

So I have a question: I work for a university and we recently purchased a drone. We are going to use it for pictures and video for admissions purposes and promotions for our university. So will we need a private pilot's license in order to fly it? Or just the 333 exemption? The rules are very confusing.
2015-5-14
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

jeff.meadors Posted at 2015-5-14 23:14
So I have a question: I work for a university and we recently purchased a drone. We are going to use ...

Hey Jeff,

Yea noone really likes the FAA right now haha
But unfortunately, you need a 333 exemption for the University or company that will fly for the University. Then under that exemption, the person designated to fly the drone will have to have a pilots license and at least 3rd class medical certification.

Even if you fly "for free" if you post video's promoting the University, the FAA still considers that 'commercial us'.

2015-5-14
Use props
jeff.meadors
New

United States

This is pretty aggravating that we go and purchase a drone but then we can't fly it until we have a pilot's license. I would say 95% of all drone operators do not have anything kind of license or exemptions.
2015-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules