UAV Forecast App and MPP
410 5 2018-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

I have the UAV Forcast app on my phone which I have been using.  This morning although I had a flight planned I aborted the flight based on the conditions in my area shown on the app.  I fly a MPP and live in Canada so I have the UAV Forcast App threshold settings set for 100m  max altitude and 34 km/h wind speed, including wind gusts.   This morning the conditions at 100m were 22 km/h with gusts to 43 km/h so I didn't fly.

I would be interested to know what max wind conditions others are comfortable flying in.  I would consider myself a careful pilot but also don't want to be overly careful to a point where I'm missing out on acceptable flying days.  If you fly a MP or MPP what are your limits when it comes to wind?
2018-5-14
Use props
Folkestone
First Officer
Flight distance : 843199 ft
United Kingdom

Fairly similar to yours. Anything much above 20mph and I will leave her on the ground.

I'd rather miss an evening of flying because I was slightly too cautious than be very gung-ho and watch my MP sailing away into the distance and splash into the sea.
2018-5-14
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

For me max wind of 15mph with gusts up to 20mph. I do not like to push the limits although if wind does start to pick up during flight sports mode helps.  
2018-5-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have flown in 30MPH winds with my MPP - just ensure you're flying in an open area away from people and buildings and I wouldn't suggest ascending to an altitude higher than 250' AGL - maintaining VLOS is imperative.
2018-5-14
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Canada

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-14 06:40
For me max wind of 15mph with gusts up to 20mph. I do not like to push the limits although if wind does start to pick up during flight sports mode helps.

Looking at your distance flown your safe wind perimeters are probably a good guideline to follow.  My cautious max wind parameters may be a tad too high.
2018-5-14
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Canada

I have to remember I'm using km/h  when comparing others mph.  So I'm very close to SparksBird.
2018-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules