12Next >
9764 44 2018-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lobstah Mobstah
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1218379 ft
United States

I'm considering purchasing some DJI Goggles.  My concern is that I'll use them a couple of times and the novelty will wear off.   For those who have purchased them, do you use them often?  Is it worth the money?  One of my kids have a cheap pair of virtual reality goggles.  Will using those give me any kind of sense of what the DJI Goggles offer?  Enquiring minds want to know!  

Single SelectVote, Total 276 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-5-14
Use props
Lobstah Mobstah
Second Officer
United States

aaaaaand I just saw this has been done before.  Redundant poll is redundant.
2018-5-14
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bought them this last week, will let you know in a couple of weeks time. But i more use it for my wife or whoever person is with me. This makes it more interesting for that person , otherwise when i am
Flying i noticed they are starting to get bored very quickly.
2018-5-18
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

i ran across this while pondering whether it was a good idea to spend that money on the DJI Goggles.

I agree that it would be more for the other people around than the pilot
2018-5-18
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i would love to own a pair, but i cant justify the price.  for the price of goggles i get a refurbished DJI spark flymore combo.  

if they costed closer to $200 mark new, absolutely... i actually have used a pair, while i wouldn't call them specifically "useful" they do help you navigate tighter spaces and get a better sense or awareness. however i cn do that on my iPhone/iPad too just slowing way the hell down and using tripod mode.  and at $400 price range, im not interested... $30 more can i can buy a genuine refurbished dji spark fly more combo, i have equally no use for either but i rather have that since provides a sense of instant fun.

even without price being a direct concern, just illogical, i feel like if i can pick up a drone from you for same price as a pair of 1080P vr goggles, i rather get the spark drone, even if i have no use for it at least it is more fun.  
2018-5-18
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

I opt'd for a 5.5 Crystal Sky as I already owned the FatShark V3 Dominator FPV glasses, killed 2 birds with one check, just plug an HDMI to the HDMI out on the CS and into the Mini HDMI in on the FatSharks and wella instant stereoscopic theater view.
2018-5-18
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>

1 in 10 flights with my Goggles. Always the best flying experience, and it’s much easier to frame video and stills using them.

Jeff
2018-5-18
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I think using OcuSync with the DJI Goggles connected to a Mavic Pro will less likely make you bored with them as opposed to using the Goggles with a wired connection to another DJI drone?
2018-6-3
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

I voted for the Soup
2018-6-3
Use props
dji TO88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4678 ft

I thought it would make you feel dizzy with them on.
2018-6-3
Use props
rkelly66
lvl.2
Flight distance : 669879 ft
United States

I like flying with the Googles way more than just the tablet. A better feel of depth and being the actual pilot. the only thing I don't like when flying with my Mavic Air is that the flight data is not saved on the tablet because you can't have both the tablet and Goggles plugged in at the same time. You have to "hot swap" them after take-off to get the flight restrictions lifted that would be on by taking off with the Goggles from the beginning. It is a pain, but I have gotten used to it and like I said.....flying with the Goggles is my favorite way to do drone stuff.
2018-6-4
Use props
Airport Dog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1164226 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hope Google NEVER comes out with a pair of Goggles, it's hard enough to type the letters, correctly, now.
2018-6-10
Use props
Airport Dog
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HMMM, Google Goggles
2018-6-10
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>

I swear by them when using MP and P Pro. I use Fatshark on my 900s and 1000’s....but there is a trade off..the DJI goggles are heavier and it isn’t easy to fly with the goggles flipped up with both hands on the controller because of the offset weight and trying to balance your head so they don’t fall off of flip down....but the ability to really improve the videos is what I like about them.....the Fatsharks are smaller but lighter and the viewing screen is smaller..with my iOSD info display it seems a little crowded on the screen...but like anything else it just takes getting use to it....I’ve been using the FS’s for quite awhile and the DJI goggles since they came out...so I would say it’s really a personal preference.....
2018-6-11
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

I have them, they are great but rarely use it because when using you are not flying in LOS. In my country you always must fly LOS. Sometimes I give the goggles to bystanders who enjoy it.
Goggles are great to position the camera and adjusting camera settings in bright conditions when your device is difficult to view.
2018-6-12
Use props
TX99517
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274649 ft
  • >>>
United States

My drone came with them.  Package deal from Costco.  Haven't used them yet, but after reading, I may set them up so my son can watch through them as I fly.  
2018-6-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have learnt an important lesson in this hobby - don't judge something until you've tried and tested it several times. The thing is I'll never buy a pair to try and test so no further comment!
2018-6-15
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

I found Epson glasses is better goggles as you can see the screen and real world in same time. Like the jet fighter’s head up display you can keep your eyes away on the drone and still see screen. I wonder how can you point the antenna to right direction by using goggles?
2018-6-19
Use props
GrumpyFinn
lvl.1
United States

I voted for soup also, because you know, this
2018-6-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

At $280 US refurbished, it maybe worth it even if it is a gimmick and for fun.

And should be comparable with next gen Mavic Pro as well, likely Dji will continue the use of occusync and even if some some reason Dji decides not to, OTG method works just fine with goggles to controller
2018-6-19
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the goggles but wouldn’t rate them as awesome. The focus is wrong and not adjustable unless I wear glasses I had to purchase that are not my normal prescription. They are a bit too heavy in front so they don’t feel totally secure when you are trying to set everything up. I do find them useful though for filming some shots.
2018-6-19
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Tom_A Posted at 2018-6-19 21:02
I have the goggles but wouldn’t rate them as awesome. The focus is wrong and not adjustable unless I wear glasses I had to purchase that are not my normal prescription. They are a bit too heavy in front so they don’t feel totally secure when you are trying to set everything up. I do find them useful though for filming some shots.

There are correctors you can buy from DJI. I found mine a bit blurry at first but now with the correctors they are awesome.
2018-7-17
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

bjr981s Posted at 2018-7-17 07:24
There are correctors you can buy from DJI. I found mine a bit blurry at first but now with the correctors they are awesome.

I can't find correctors sold by DJI. The correctors I did see for sale were terribly overpriced compared to regular glasses.
Edit: Actually, I found the DJI lenses listed. I may try these.
2018-7-24
Use props
nicksdesign
lvl.1
United States

The goggles aren't perfect for everything. If you are using them without a spotter, the FAA will not be happy.

The view with the goggles is awesome!  Motion sickness is not likely a problem unless you are flying fast with lots of turning.  Framing a shot is easier when using them in head tracking mode.  This makes it much easier to keep your shot framed while maneuvering the drone.  While I like them, I don't always fly with them.

In any case, if you have doubts, try to find someone that will let you try them out before buying.

Nick
2018-7-24
Use props
Airport Dog
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Wait... I thought drones were "gimmicks". You mean dji goggles are too?
2018-7-31
Use props
Ulysses Paiva
lvl.4
Flight distance : 573310 ft

I thought they were great (in paper). 2 months lates and I want to sell them as I am very frustated to have spent that much money. Would have been much better off buying a new phone. Unless DJI releases a FW that changes things by a lot, Its just a gimmick for any drone other than the mavic.
2018-8-1
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

I specifically waited for the goggles to come out before buying the MP. For me, I wouldn't fly the MP any other way. I also own a CrystalSky, but there's simply no comparison between the flying experience between the two. To me, the goggles are immersive and I can shut out the world when I fly. I just don't get that experience hunched over my CS (even though it's a great monitor). I've also had zero problems with the goggles through the many firmware updates and I usually get 4-5 hours between charges. Others experience may vary, but the goggles make the MP experience what it is for me.
2018-8-2
Use props
erazotropa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 696644 ft
Netherlands

I have the first generation goggles, they are wonderfull, they extend your limits because of immersion so you dare to do more tricky flying.
2018-8-4
Use props
erazotropa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 696644 ft
Netherlands

I have the first generation goggles, they are wonderfull, they extend your limits because of immersion so you dare to do more tricky flying.
With this in mind and having also Racing drones, I thought to myself, why not but the Racing edition.
This is where my dream fell apart in 1000 pieces.

First RE goggle I bought, had a dead pixel.
I have also noticed the reception of analog signals where not very strong, some guys at the field with cheapo Quanum and Eachine goggles had excellent reception while I had lots of dropouts.For example,, some guys fly with 25mW with these cheapo goggles, and have exellent reception,, to obtain the same reception on my RE I needed at least 600+mW TX..

So I returned the goggles (dead pixel) and got a new one..

Reception analog: same, it is crap totaly crap. the receiver is totaly insensitive whatsoever.

I have returned the goggles, and keeping my old one.. and will buy a cheapo one instead. and for the $$ left over, 2 micro drones ;-)

My conclusion, If you are planning to use the RE avoid it!
2018-8-4
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.3
Flight distance : 112123 ft
South Africa

Lobstah Mobstah Posted at 2018-5-14 08:57
aaaaaand I just saw this has been done before.  Redundant poll is redundant.

Negative , soup deserves some attention
2018-8-28
Use props
Lobstah Mobstah
Second Officer
United States

Lots of soup lovers on this forum.
2018-8-31
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>

I rarely fly without the goggles.
2018-8-31
Use props
Thriller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

Someone that has the DJI  goggles can explain the differences between these and Amazon goggles ones with Litchi.
Thanks
2018-8-31
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

Too expensive
2018-9-5
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I find the goggles excellent for framing shots and flying close to obstacles. I can't do the same with my iPad or iPhone. They are also a lot of fun!
2018-10-23
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have them and have actually never flown with them. I have them with me when I go fly and let other folks use them so they can experience what the drone is seeing. Everyone I've done this with is amazed.
2018-11-17
Use props
ygor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 719245 ft
Brazil

Until Goggles RE range problems are public recognized by DJI and properly fixed I recommend staying clear from DJI Goggles.
2019-1-19
Use props
Charles De Mar
lvl.1
Flight distance : 132920 ft
United States

I have found other goggles to be gimmicky, due to poor image quality and lackluster feature set, but I was sold on the DJI goggles the first time I flew with them.  Best image quality of any goggle Ive flown making my fat shark dominators and expensive paper weight
2019-1-22
Use props
Mike1983
lvl.2
United Kingdom

They'd be great if they actually worked properly / as advertised with the Mavic 2.....

The functionality is still broken DJI.....  I'm guessing you're almost there with releasing a fix considering it's been such a long running issue for us all?
2019-3-15
Use props
AnzacJack
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3501650 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I feel like I’d like to get some, but concerns on how well they work with specs has held me back, and the fact that situational awareness around me would be zero. Not being able to see what’s happening around me would stress me out. I love the idea of headtracking though
2019-4-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules